• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Munster v USA Perpignan

M

MunsterMan

Magners Champions v French Champions, both sides have already lost a pool game, so a win is a must for both. First of two hopefully epic games.

Munster Squad: Wian Du Preez, Darragh Hurley, Tony Buckley, John Hayes, Denis Fogarty, Damien Varley, Jerry Flannery, Donncha O'Callaghan, Donnacha Ryan, Paul O'Connell, Mick O'Driscoll, Alan Quinlan, Niall Ronan, David Wallace, Denis Leamy, James Coughlan, Peter Stringer, Tomas O'Leary, Ronan O'Gara, Paul Warwick, Lifeimi Mafi, Jean De Villiers, Keith Earls, Ian Dowling, Doug Howlett, Denis Hurley, Felix Jones

Perpignan Squad: Freshwater, Schuster, Mas, Pulu, Bourrust, Geli, Tincu, Guirado, Olibeau, Tchala Watchou, Kairelis, Vivaldi, Le Corvec, Guiry, Parent, Tonita, Durand, Mele, Cazenave, Hume, Manas, Marty, Mermoz, Grandclaude, Burger, Sid, Porical.

Referee: Wayne Barnes

Wouldn't mind Munster sending out this XV:
  1. Wian Du Preez
  2. Jerry Flannery
  3. John Hayes
  4. Donncha O'Callaghan
  5. Paul O'Connell
  6. Niall Ronan
  7. Alan Quinlan
  8. David Wallace
  9. Tomas O'Leary
  10. Paul Warwick
  11. Ian Dowling
  12. Jean De Villiers
  13. Keith Earls
  14. Denis Hurley
  15. Felix Jones
With Buckley, Fogarty, Ryan, Leamy, Stringer, O'Gara, Mafi/Howlett all on the bench.

Nice team, bring Leamy in for Quinlan and I'd be absolutely delighted with that!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Dec 10 2009, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Nice team, bring Leamy in for Quinlan and I'd be absolutely delighted with that![/b]
I was considering Leamy, but he hasn't been in great form IMO. Though I must admit the though of Quinlan costing us a few penalties scares me.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Dec 10 2009, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Dec 10 2009, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice team, bring Leamy in for Quinlan and I'd be absolutely delighted with that![/b]
I was considering Leamy, but he hasn't been in great form IMO. Though I must admit the though of Quinlan costing us a few penalties scares me.
[/b][/quote]
The Pigs will give away enough penalties to counteract Quinlan's non-secret weapon.

Reading the names in their squad sheet is weird - the whole world has ended up in France.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Dec 10 2009, 02:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Dec 10 2009, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Dec 10 2009, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]
The Pigs will give away enough penalties to counteract Quinlan's non-secret weapon.

Reading the names in their squad sheet is weird - the whole world has ended up in France.
[/b][/quote]

Wa thinking the same thing. Tribalism is important to adding some spice to the occasion IMO. That said I am supporting Munster because of two Saffers in the squad but one cannot argue that the squad has anything but an Irish feel. Although 'du Preez' and 'de Villiers' would have added to the French squad at least sounding more French.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Dec 10 2009, 12:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Dec 10 2009, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

Warm climate, huge amounts of money available and a very competitive fast league. Its hard to blame professionals for going over there. Although NZ, AUZ and SA must be saying the same thing about the magners and guiness.

De Villiers Dropped and Flannery injured.

Source is munsterrugby.ie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
David Wallace and Denis Leamy return to the Munster side for tomorrow's Heineken Cup clash with USAP Perpignan at Thomond Park Stadium (8pm).

The pack shows just two changes from the side that started against Benetton Treviso in round two with the continued absence of Marcus Horan providing a first Heineken start for Sringboks Wian du Preez while John Hayes who missed that game through suspension returns at the expense of Tony Buckley. Jerry Flannery who was named in the extended squad misses out because of what management describe as 'a slight Achilles problem'.
In the backline, coach Tony McGahan has opted for a Mafi/Earls midfield combination while Denis Hurley after a short but impressive role as a replacement against Ospreys last week edges out Ian Dowling.

Munster: P Warwick; D Howlett, K Earls, L Mafi, D Hurley; R O'Gara, T O'Leary; W du Preez, D Fogarty, J Hayes; D O'Callaghan, P O'Connell capt; A Quinlan, D Wallace, D Leamy. Replacements: D Varley, D Hurley, T Buckley, M O'Driscoll, D Ryan, N Ronan, P Stringer, J de Villiers.[/b]

Munster team and Perpignan confirmed

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Munster: P Warwick; D Howlett, K Earls, L Mafi, D Hurley; R O'Gara, T O'Leary; W du Preez, D Fogarty, J Hayes; D O'Callaghan, P O'Connell capt; A Quinlan, D Wallace, D Leamy. Replacements: D Varley, D Hurley, T Buckley, M O'Driscoll, D Ryan, N Ronan, P Stringer, J de Villiers.

Perpignan: J Porical, F Sid, D Marty, M Mermoz, C Manas, G Hume, N Durand, P Freshwater, G Guirado, N Mas [capt], O Olibeau, R Tchale Watchou, Y Vivalda, B Guiry, Y Parent Replacements: M Tincu, J Schuster, K Pulu, C Geli, D Mele, J Grandclaude, P Burger, R Alvarez Kairelis

[/b][url]http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/6885.php[/url]

Interesting team for Munster. Still would have had de Villiers instead of Mafi, O'Gara on the bench with Warwick at fly-half. Question, where the hell is Dowling?

*Edit* Congratulations to Logorrhea for getting there before me.

Ian Dowling where art thou?

De Villiers has not delivered, but he is far from the worst Munster player of recent weeks. How Quinlan and O'Gara escaped the axe I'll never know.

Great to see Denis Hurley selected :D

Great to see Earls back at 13 :D

Mermoz and Marty look scary though...

Quinlan as been good.And he's aclass act.Imself and John Hayes alway deliver on the pitch.

Is Dowling injured lads... wouldnt be dropping him..hasnt blistering speed or anything but he always delivered.....

i wouldvge picked de villiers aswell... that midfield of marty and mermoz look exceptional... are earls and mafi the greatest defenders in midfield???
i feel sorry for de villiers... after comming off the back of a savage season in south africa, he is expected to deliver... we are sying ehre how our lions contingent needed a huge break..de villiers played in a lions series and a tri nations and a super 14 comp in 09 and its still 0 bloody 9!!!!!

plus as stated above.. quinlan isnt playing well, plus leamy is only just back..what are the odds he'l go off injured.. maybe walace should have gone to 8 with ronan to 7!!

O Gara has to deliver.. if not i can see him getting the bullet!!

is it me or have they gone with a 6-2 split in the replacements.... de villiers and stringer are the only backs???? or am i seeing things???

Ronan should definitely be starting, quality tackler, scavenger and offensive threat although maybe not the biggest, but he has been playing well and should be starting.

Mafi and Earls are very dangerous in attack, gave both the Ospreys and Leinster plenty to think about when they had the ball last year. Definitely defensive question marks though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Dec 11 2009, 04:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ronan should definitely be starting, quality tackler, scavenger and offensive threat although maybe not the biggest, but he has been playing well and should be starting.

Mafi and Earls are very dangerous in attack, gave both the Ospreys and Leinster plenty to think about when they had the ball last year. Definitely defensive question marks though.[/b]
The only positive is Warwick at full-back, he is a quality tackler and is very good in cover defense. I'd expect Ronan to come on for Quinlan after about 50 minutes. Though it does seem odd having only two backline subs. Luckily if O'Gara gets injured (and I hope he does if he isn't performing) Warwick can slide into the out-half position.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Dec 10 2009, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Mafi and Earls are very dangerous in attack, gave both the Ospreys and Leinster plenty to think about when they had the ball last year. Definitely defensive question marks though.[/b]

worried about their defense would be a total understatement!!!!!!! this kid mermoz looks a real threat.. we know marty... in munster we trust now anyway...

totally delighted for Denis Hurley.. aint lightening but has good feet, not too bad under a high ball and kicks cleverly going forward.. i hope he does well!!

I've never seen Munster fans so worried about a home game in the HEC.

I can understand it as I think they are going to get turned over, but Ive never seen it before.

I also think leinster are going to get turned over so i kinda hope Munster dont crach out at the same time.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Dec 11 2009, 04:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I've never seen Munster fans so worried about a home game in the HEC.

I can understand it as I think they are going to get turned over, but Ive never seen it before.

I also think leinster are going to get turned over so i kinda hope Munster dont crach out at the same time.[/b]
Main reason is O'Gara is playing absolute **** and he can either win or lose a close match.

Latest posts