• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Munster v USA Perpignan

A few things to say so I'll probably forget one or two.

A couple of people said "bla bla team with tries lost bla bla annoying". Well yeah, but the three tries never should have been conceded. Also their penalty shoudlnt have gone Munster's way. Very obvious Boring in from the Perpiginan loose-head. I don't know why all teams don't do it, it's obvious that refs are blind to it. If it wasn't for that Perpiginan didn't look like scoring at all.

Someone said it was reminiscent of the Saffer gameplan. Not really. They kicked alot, but that was always to the corner, not stupid up and unders. The up and unders that were used were all very nice and well challanged Warwick and Rog's kicks to the corner were beautiful to behold. Complaining about that is the same as complaining about mauling. They're both a beautiful art. Secondly, Munster did try to run it....but someone doesn't know how to pass.

And on that point. I think it was Cyril asked the question. Mafi lost it about 6 months ago. He was rubbish from about February onwards last year and has done nothing this year. His favourite occupation is butchering overlaps.

Munster backrow made me happy. Piling into every ruck. That's why Perpiginan gave away breakdown penalties. Not stupid interpretation.

Yes Howlet is a shadow. Legend, put in a class tackle, but I won't be sorry to say goodbye to him at the end of the season.

Hurley on the other hand is CLASS. He's all over everyone like Dowling, except he has pace too (like he showed...though the touch judge was right, no try).

Edit: Knew I'd forget something. It was like watching Munster of 5 years ago. Hitting the corners. Tense. Forwards game.

Though the backs did try things. We need Mafi out and JDV in. And O'Leary'd decision making is horrific at the moment.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Dec 12 2009, 10:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
A couple of people said "bla bla team with tries lost bla bla annoying". Well yeah, but the three tries never should have been conceded. Also their penalty shoudlnt have gone Munster's way. Very obvious Boring in from the Perpiginan loose-head. I don't know why all teams don't do it, it's obvious that refs are blind to it. If it wasn't for that Perpiginan didn't look like scoring at all.

Someone said it was reminiscent of the Saffer gameplan. Not really. They kicked alot, but that was always to the corner, not stupid up and unders. The up and unders that were used were all very nice and well challanged Warwick and Rog's kicks to the corner were beautiful to behold. Complaining about that is the same as complaining about mauling. They're both a beautiful art. Secondly, Munster did try to run it....but someone doesn't know how to pass.

And on that point. I think it was Cyril asked the question. Mafi lost it about 6 months ago. He was rubbish from about February onwards last year and has done nothing this year. His favourite occupation is butchering overlaps.[/b]
Those people probably didn't see the match. Munster are full of movement - nothing like the Boks - but they don't break through, so their failure is down to the attack in the centre. I prefer Mafi over JDV, and have no clue how the whole thing will be sorted. But it will be sorted.

Well I'll tell you what, you guys have fun in the ball-pool not getting anywhere with JDV and kicking a bazillion penalties while us adults go and watch some entertaining rugby later this weekend.

We'll pick you up at 3pm sharp Sunday and we've asked Nigel Owens to look after you in case you start throwing plastic balls at any Connaght guys.

Don't drink any Cola or eat any Smarties, you know what e numbers and colours do to youse lot.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Dec 12 2009, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well I'll tell you what, you guys have fun in the ball-pool not getting anywhere with JDV and kicking a bazillion penalties while us adults go and watch some entertaining rugby later this weekend.

We'll pick you up at 3pm sharp Sunday and we've asked Nigel Owens to look after you in case you start throwing plastic balls at any Connaght guys.

Don't drink any Cola or eat any Smarties, you know what e numbers and colours do to youse lot.[/b]
How many smarties have you had tonight?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Dec 11 2009, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Don't drink any Cola or eat any Smarties, you know what e numbers and colours do to youse lot.[/b]

I'm not Munster fan but:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
while us adults go and watch some entertaining rugby later this weekend.[/b]

1)Your team is in the challenge cup. Your point is, therefore, invalid.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>

2) There aren't any E numbers in smarties. That's why they got rid of the blue ones for a while.

Did not see the match but i read some comments on a french forum ...it was resumed by a sentence "same old refering by Barnes , 1/3 of penalties against Perpignan impossible to understand from french supporters and reds were diving like world champions of 50m crawl in rucks...also a penalty given against the tackled one as the tackler did not make any move to go away " ...

Yeah i know seems a bit a teaser but it is what i read ! sad for Perpignan anyway and well done to Munster ;)

Forgot to add that if i share with you french comments on the match , it is because it is always makes me laugh how french supporters hate arbitration in Hcup...On this one , i honestly do not know if they are too much USAP (or french) supporters or Barnes had too much smarties before the match ...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Dec 12 2009, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Hurley has pace? I thought it was a second row running down the wing at the end!![/b]

LOL, I honestly thought it was fogarty at first. Good win for Munster against the French Champions. The Scoreline really flattered Perpignan though, if not for the two silly tries conceded from the lineouts(not sure what happened there) they never looked like scoring. Great defense though in fairness to them. Can't wait for round 2.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stillknox @ Dec 11 2009, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Perpignan were more opportunist than lamboyant tonight.[/b]
I must admit, iw as shouting to Munster but I got the feeling that Barnes was too. I think he did play a factor in the result BUT the right team won it.

Munster had all the ball, all the play and while Perpignan picked up a few opportunistic tries (the second was very good) they didnt play with any real ambition at all.

Its becoming a familiar feeling really where I end up hoping a certain team loses (as opposed to a team winning) because they refuse to back themselves and play rugby. Anyone else finding this. you just end up disliking a team (temporarily of course) because you feel they are killing the game.

Dont get me wrong, munster didnt look like scoring much, but at elast they tried to add a bit of width.

Still you would imagine that that will change in a weeks time I'm certainly hoping we see Perpignan give Munster a complete spankin.

Oh and final thought. Earls is NOT a replacement for 13. Stick him back on the wing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jockstrap @ Dec 12 2009, 04:50 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Dec 12 2009, 11:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hurley has pace? I thought it was a second row running down the wing at the end!![/b]

LOL, I honestly thought it was fogarty at first. Good win for Munster against the French Champions. The Scoreline really flattered Perpignan though, if not for the two silly tries conceded from the lineouts(not sure what happened there) they never looked like scoring. Great defense though in fairness to them. Can't wait for round 2.
[/b][/quote]

I would very much like to know how losing by one point flatters the team that scored three tries to none :huh:

you scored 2 tries off mistakes, and rarely broke the line. Had far less ball, and spent all day offside. Sher they were trying to run down the clock afetr 60 mins by kicking the ball away after they were penalised!!!

Thought Hurley's try was fine too.

The biggest problem for me was that Munster made no clear line breaks (well that I can remember). The scrum wasn't the best and does need to be sorted, and so does some of the backline. The only plus side was that Munster discipline was fantastic, I think we conceded less that five penalties during the whole match :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noidsay @ Dec 12 2009, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
you scored 2 tries off mistakes, and rarely broke the line. Had far less ball, and spent all day offside. Sher they were trying to run down the clock afetr 60 mins by kicking the ball away after they were penalised!!!

Thought Hurley's try was fine too.[/b]

:blink: You're being unbelievably one eyed there. If anything Munster were very lucky to finally win the match and should not be boasting too much. Perpignan didn't score two tries off mistakes, they scored three, because that's how you score tries. That last "high" tacke which miraculously gives you the victory is very soft, mafi just turns his head and plays on without giving a f***, and that's just one of the countless unexplained penalties against Perpignan.

He was caught around the neck. High tackle. it wasn't malicios and Mafi didn't play it up, but he caught him on the neck so its a penalty.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elgringoborracho @ Dec 12 2009, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noidsay @ Dec 12 2009, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:blink: You're being unbelievably one eyed there. If anything Munster were very lucky to finally win the match and should not be boasting too much. Perpignan didn't score two tries off mistakes, they scored three, because that's how you score tries. That last "high" tacke which miraculously gives you the victory is very soft, mafi just turns his head and plays on without giving a f***, and that's just one of the countless unexplained penalties against Perpignan.
[/b][/quote]

Em:

1. Nobody's boasting.
2. Yup they scored 3 tries... 2 of them were tries that were stupid to ever have happened.
3. The 'high' tackle was a high tackle.
4. All (well most...there was 2 that I didn't understand either) of the penalties were reasonable. But you got 2 penalties in the scrum that should have gone the other way. So Bla.

And it wasn't luck. It was pateince. Perpiginan were nailed to the corners and slowly conceded penalties.

One thing the match confirms though is that once Barnes gets on a teams back at the breakdown he never stops. Munster learned that against Montauban last year. I'm sure Perpiginan will be better prepared for it next time.

Edit: Earls was grand at centre. His defence has come on loads. The ball got to him about 4 times in the match. twice he showed that he's been practising his passing and twice he'd got it after Mafi had butchered any chance of anything good happening.

I prefer him on the wing aswell though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Dec 12 2009, 02:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elgringoborracho @ Dec 12 2009, 12:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (noidsay @ Dec 12 2009, 12:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Em:

1. Nobody's boasting.
2. Yup they scored 3 tries... 2 of them were tries that were stupid to ever have happened.
3. The 'high' tackle was a high tackle.
4. All (well most...there was 2 that I didn't understand either) of the penalties were reasonable. But you got 2 penalties in the scrum that should have gone the other way. So Bla.

And it wasn't luck. It was pateince. Perpiginan were nailed to the corners and slowly conceded penalties.

One thing the match confirms though is that once Barnes gets on a teams back at the breakdown he never stops. Munster learned that against Montauban last year. I'm sure Perpiginan will be better prepared for it next time.

Edit: Earls was grand at centre. His defence has come on loads. The ball got to him about 4 times in the match. twice he showed that he's been practising his passing and twice he'd got it after Mafi had butchered any chance of anything good happening.

I prefer him on the wing aswell though.
[/b][/quote]

Well if you're happy with your team almost losing at home, conceding 3 tries and scoring none, and admitting the ref was on the other team's back, I'm happy for you too...
My reaction was to noidsay saying the score "flattered" us

The lack of tries from Munster was a disappoint, but now Munster are looking good to win the pool. I can see us losing to Perpignan in France, but knowing Munster they'll get the losing bonus point. Then I think Munster will win both their remain two pool matches, away against Treviso and home against Northampton.

Latest posts