• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Munster vs Ospreys

well yet again another loss against Munster in the Heineken.... really don't get how they just play totally different in Heineken and then Magners. Missed opportunity again today by the O's, really struggle to create stuff for some reason. was watching the game on the internet (naughty naughty i know but had to do uni work instead of going to the pub :p), and missed the O'connell incident will watch proper highlights tonight tho to have a proper look at the game. Ospreys really have to find a way of creating a bit of spark tho, cause i'm really getting frustrated watching us play sides and not scoring many tries (we should be scoring creatively rather than intercepts). Ah well, bring on next week. Can't wait for Shane to come back and add some spontaneity to the game. He may be getting on a bit, but both wales and ospreys miss him a load when he doesn't play due to his unpredictability (also works negatively as well but i'd rather see some failed adventure than no tries :p)

Well lads I'll put it this way we were lucky.
Paulie got red and well I've seen replays and we can't complain much but on other side it was unintentional and I don't think he deserves a long ban.
Leamy was immense again while Varley was superb too. DOC also stood up today but well we unfortunately have a few injuries that need to be treated. For Bowe's try everyone could see pass wasn't on and well Bowe did what he does best. Fair play he is always thinking and it was him that gave call in 1st half for kick which wouldve been a try only for Coughlan gettin back superbly. But we are happy but need to improve next week.

Also lads must say Munster very close to signing a World Class player for after the World Cup

Paulie got red and well I've seen replays and we can't complain much but on other side it was unintentional and I don't think he deserves a long ban.
Leamy was immense again while Varley was superb too. DOC also stood up today but well we unfortunately have a few injuries that need to be treated. For Bowe's try everyone could see pass wasn't on and well Bowe did what he does best. Fair play he is always thinking and it was him that gave call in 1st half for kick which wouldve been a try only for Coughlan gettin back superbly. But we are happy but need to improve next week.

Also lads must say Munster very close to signing a World Class player for after the World Cup

Nonu perhaps? Munster were very lucky today in the end, but really they should have won and got the try bonus point.

He said "He was behind me, holding me, I had a right to do it". It was deliberate.

I still don't get why the Ospreys, desperatly in search of a try, didn't just put Hook at 10 and bring on Parker in the centres, who is a fantastic defender and can finish. They where unlucky to a degree, but poor decisson making let them down.

I haven't seen a replay yet, but I though Paulie deserved the Red from my view in the North Terrace. I don't think players who pull people back/hold them of the ball are undeserving of a slap at the same time.

Thought the Ospreys offered very little with the ball against a hugely physical Munster defence. O'Leary set up two tries, but on the balance of it I'd still say he had a poor game. Back Row immense, Buckley is an animal.

Stringer next week please, Donnacha Ryan onto the bench as POC will be serving a deserved ban I'd say.

O'Learys chip through for the first try was class, but he was taking Harry Ellis amounts of time to shift the ball at some points

If I were in charge of the Munster bench I'd've brought on Stringer when Ospreys were down to 14 men (about 50mins in was it?) - the speed of his distribution could've helped to exploit the gaps in the defence

Dunc when he said that he was reffering to slapping the player away. If you watch the replay he did not look at player until contact was made. I'm not saying Paulie 100% innocent but that the rumours of possibly 5 week ban is a harsh punishment.
But I don't think Paulie absense will be a major blow as we are used to him out in a way.
Also agree that Stringer shouldve got on as Tomas wasn't with us today and while he did put great chip through (to which Howlett showed class in how he finished), TOL also put us under massive pressure too.
I think Varley was immense today as was Leamy but London Irish really know how to screw up and well if we are to qualify we really are going to have to do it the hard way.

And Nonu not the player but not a million miles away ;)

I thought it was fairly common knowledge that Conrad Smith was looking to head to Limerick after the world cup? Maybe I'm mistaken.

we shall see how O'connel is dealt with Deserves at least 4 weeks out for that outrageous action.
It wasnt deliberate haha what a joke if it wasnt intentional why was he swinging his arm like that he had one thing in mind and Im actually glad the referee was right there watching him do it We should have taken that game but once again poor decision making from a few players mainly Mr Biggar cost us a win

To be fair, if it was intentional he'd have turned round and lamped Thomas.
He shouldn't have swung his arm out, and deserved a card and maybe a short ban, but I don't believe he intended to hit JT with his elbow in the neck (or whatever)

Feic didn't want to say the name but a big step towards that happening occured yesterday.

As for POC issue it like Olyy said - Yes he swung but what did JT expect when he was acting the clown like that.
As for next week I'm happy we were poor today and that some "incidents" happened as simply we will be fired up next week and well that I know.

Also Berdos has been officially reported to ERC by Munster.

Last edited:
O'Connell threw his arm out, his elbow hit Thomas in the face. Thomas went to ground, as you do when you get an elbow in the face.

Should get a two or three week ban for wreckless play imo. Shame too, it would be nice to see him get a run of games up before the six nations.

Anyway, it was a pretty poor game. Ospreys didn't show all that much while Munster weren't anywhere near as good as they should have been at home. Buckley has once again shown he isn't good enough in the tight to play for Ireland. Ross for the 6 Nations.

Feic - Can agree Ross is by far the better scrummager which in todays game is a massive asset. Buckley will be excellent on bench for last 20 mins.

Exceptional in the loose for sure. However the French have Barcella and Domingo as options at Loosehead. If they put both of those boys in their 22 we could fairly well forget about bringing Buckle on at all. Simply not worth the tradeoff if we're to get mullered in the tight.

But look we as a nation are not a good scrummaging team for last 20 we should gamble a fresh Buckley if needed.

O'Connell threw his arm out, his elbow hit Thomas in the face. Thomas went to ground, as you do when you get an elbow in the face.

Should get a two or three week ban for wreckless play imo. Shame too, it would be nice to see him get a run of games up before the six nations.

Anyway, it was a pretty poor game. Ospreys didn't show all that much while Munster weren't anywhere near as good as they should have been at home. Buckley has once again shown he isn't good enough in the tight to play for Ireland. Ross for the 6 Nations.

I agree his ball carrying has improved and he dominated domingo in the scrum yesterday.

This is the problem with the banning system. I think O'Connell deserved a red and a 1-2 week ban but Hollah intentionally tripped paterson injuring him and got no punishment and Powell blatantly swung his arm at richie McCaw and he got no punishment.

Winning here takes abit of preassure off for next week so hopefully Munster can really go for it. Munster made too many mistakes and didn't really match the intensity in the first half (also O'Gara was kicking poorly) but in the second half Munster went up a gear taking possession and winning the tackle and breakdown area.

Coughlan was brilliant completely justfied his place I thought Bowe was in for an easy try.

dunc when he said that he was reffering to slapping the player away. If you watch the replay he did not look at player until contact was made. I'm not saying paulie 100% innocent but that the rumours of possibly 5 week ban is a harsh punishment.
But i don't think paulie absense will be a major blow as we are used to him out in a way.
Also agree that stringer shouldve got on as tomas wasn't with us today and while he did put great chip through (to which howlett showed class in how he finished), tol also put us under massive pressure too.
I think varley was immense today as was leamy but london irish really know how to screw up and well if we are to qualify we really are going to have to do it the hard way.

and nonu not the player but not a million miles away ;)

sbw?

Last edited:
MunsterMan - Berdos entered the dressing room yesterday to highlight 2 issues with Munster that were brought to his attention by "intense media analysis and reviewing of previous tapes". We know that part of this was was down to Mr Stuart Barnes. Now i've no problem with the Sky boys doing their stuff but when a ref picks on 1 team (he didn't highlight same issues to Ospreys) and is influenced by media then we feel that is a concern.

Coonor I agree Coughlan was good but ran out of steam but that is ok as we had a good bench. Coughlan showed super heart to get that ball and avoid Bowe's foot in first half. I think while pressure is off slightly the Toulon result yesterday means we need to win away now I think and 10-11 points has to be target from next 3 games.

Latest posts