Murray becomes a free agent

Teh Mite

TRF Legend
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Northampton
Northampton Saints and Scotland prop Euan Murray has left the Premiership club by mutual consent.
The 30-year-old made 61 appearances for Saints, scoring two tries.
"He has played well for us and we have enjoyed having him here at Franklin's Gardens," Saints director Jim Mallinder told the club's website.
"Euan is a big personality and has helped the club become competitive again at the top end of the Premiership and in Europe."
Murray arrived at Franklin's Gardens in 2007 after the Rugby World Cup. He played in Northampton's European Challenge Cup final victory in 2009 and travelled on the 2009 British & Irish Lions tour of South Africa.
He made one start and four appearances from the replacements bench this season, having seen his opportunities limited by the good form of South African Brian Mujati.
The devout Christian does not play on Sundays.
"I've enjoyed playing at Franklin's Gardens in front of its great supporters and I will take a lot of happy memories with me," said Murray.
"I wish everyone at Franklin's Gardens all the best for the future."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_union/my_club/northampton/9277703.stm

Considering the schedule these days, it doesn't surprise me at all when he won't play on Sundays. Great player, but a very expensive luxury when Saturday games are so few and far between.

He'd play for Glasgow most likely considering that's where he comes from. He'd do well in the ML, as far as I'm aware we don't have that many Sunday games.

Good player, weird guy.

I've always quite liked him and his stand up routines on the Lions buses. I hope he does go to a Scottish club, as it would be great if their big players played in Scotland.

Lions king Euan Murray sold Scarlets vision by Scotland teammate Sean Lamont

Read More http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbyn...ate-sean-lamont-91466-27840479/#ixzz18NF0YpMi

Interesting but from my sources he is off to France. - To Bayonne to be exact. Bayonne almost exclusively play on Saturdays.

Scarlets don´t pay well. I can´t see a guy going from Northampton to Llanelli. Okay, sure Sean Lamont did this but Murray is considered to be an elite prop Sean Lamont is there or there abouts.

Last edited:
Interesting but from my sources he is off to France. - To Bayonne to be exact. Bayonne almost exclusively play on Saturdays.

Scarlets don´t pay well. I can´t see a guy going from Northampton to Llanelli. Okay, sure Sean Lamont did this but Murray is considered to be an elite prop Sean Lamont is there or there abouts.

Dunno what rugby you have been watching this year mate, but thats a shambles of a comment!

Yeah I agree with Cymro there, Scarlets have been playing some of the best rugby in the Heineken and Magners this year, so an offer from them would be more than attractive enough! Also, you said that a 'Elite Prop' like Murray wouldn't go from Northampton to Llanelli? Well lets say he did move to Bayonne like your sources say, then he wouldnt be playing at the 'Elite' level of European Rugby, considering that Bayonne arent in the Heineken Cup, while the Scarlets are (and are doing well too).

In my opinion Murray is a top player, and most top players ask demands. In this case, it is not playing on a Sunday. Not really a big deal. That is clearly what is most important to Euan i would have thought. But he needs to earn a relative wage too. He can earn an inflated salary in Bayonne, but he can earn modest money in Llanelli. It's not always all about the money.

Bayonne is not a club i'd go to if i was Euan Murray. No disrespect to Bayonne. They are not really the first name you think of in the TOP14. And if it was just for the money, he'd hold out for Toulon or Racing.

If i was Euan, I'd want to go to a bigger club, any of the top 3 teams.. Perpignan, Clermont or Toulouse.. if i went to France, because he'd be an asset to any club at any level.

In my opinion, the TOP 14 is the better league.. but only because there is a clear disadvantage when to comes to salary with other leagues. Like why would Warwick swap Munster for Stade when Stade are rapidly becoming a club of style and no substance, for a club that may be less glamourous, but has a unanswerable pedigree at the top level.

In my opinion, Euan should choose Scarlets. He'd be made to feel more welcome there, rather than a mercenary who was just on the top of some rich owners weekly recruitment list. For me, aside from the top 3 teams.. most of the TOP 14 is about how much money you got keeping up with the Joneses.

Right, you bunch of 'orrible off topic debaters:

Newcastle Falcons sign Scotland prop Euan Murray

<table align="right" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="226"> <tbody><tr><td>
_50385070_104655176.jpg
Murray made 61 appearances for Northampton during a three-year stay

</td></tr> </tbody></table> Newcastle Falcons have signed Scotland prop Euan Murray on a two-and-a-half-year contract.
The 30-year-old had been without a club since being released by Northampton, partly because he refused to play on Sundays due to religious beliefs.
Falcons boss Tait said: "Our preferred time to play is Friday night.
"While some games do get moved for television, we'll have Euan available for more games than we would most current international players."
Murray arrived at Franklin's Gardens in 2007 and featured in the Saints' European Challenge Cup final victory in 2009, but has found opportunities this season limited following the arrival of Brian Mujati from South Africa.

He said: "I'm delighted with my move to Newcastle, I can't wait to get stuck in and I'm really looking forward to pulling on the jersey. "The move up to Newcastle was the best option for me and my family."
The tight-head, who attracted interest from Bath and Scarlets since his release from Northampton last week, played in all of Scotland's autumn international matches in 2010 and toured South Africa in 2009 with the British and Irish Lions.

Latest posts