• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

My Dream Rugby Game

J

JohnBE

Here's a slightly different idea.. not conventional and will probably never get made for a few reasons but it goes like this:

Firstly imagine playing on-line, but instead of one player against another.. we'll have 15 VS 15.. EVERY single player on the pitch is controlled completely
individually by someone.. so there are 30 users playing..

Ok when I was thinking about that a few problems came to mind.. firstly.. wouldn't it be boring as hell to be stuck as prop?

answer is yes but how about for example you're playing an 80 minute game.. divide that by 15.. roughly 5 and a bit minutes..

so every five minutes you move up a position.. no.1 becomes 2..etc and 14 becomes 15.. 15 becomes one.. or of course you could randomize it but that's not important for now..

For me to try and fully get this concept myself.. I had to think of the game with NO automation by the engine.. i.e.. if you pick from the back of a scrum as no.8.. the scrumhalf will automatically go as support.. just forget all about that.. forget about players automatically running towards a kicked ball etc etc..

EVERY single thing a player does.. from passing to tackling to sprinting and hand offs.. that individual is responsible for..

but how could you possibly make a game like that?.. you'd think there are so many complications.. but really when you think about it.. if you make a complete set of controls for each player it's not that hard..

Examples..

for a 12 to pass the ball there must be some degree of timing or some other difficultly..you cannot simply hit D or A and the ball goes you have to hit it when the power's right etc etc etc.

for a 2.. you have to be able to throw in at lineout, hook the ball at scrums.. actually scrummage(same for all 8 scrum players)

for a prop.. in the scrum you have to battle your opposite number just like it real life.. being able to push downwards etc..

Sorry about my explanation but I just find it really hard to explain!.. best way to think of it is as real life rugby.. totally put into a game..

so everything that goes with real life rugby is in the game.. nothing is automated.. each player must do everything required of their position

then of course theres the non game issue of .. what if there arn't 30 players online etc.. it's simple have bots.. and for offline mode.. you can do whatever you like, play anywhere and everyone else is a bot..

Now some bad aspects of the idea that spring to mind:

1 . you cannot control the whole team.. and yeah very true but thats what you have the ea series for..this is just something different

2. if there is some plank on your team screwing up and you can't do anything about it.. again.. a problem in all online games...

And please tell me any more you think of

But I was to be really ambitious in my thinking.. what about this.. each club in the magners league can have a team on this?.. or any league for that matter?

I'm sure every club has atleast 22 guys who play rugby games(except connaght!).. and I mean including fans... anyone who supports the club from that region can play the team

you could have a cyber games of rugby.. the possibilities of tournaments coinciding with real games is really really cool I think

This is something I was thinking .. about an hour ago.. I would love to hear any and all feedback on the idea.. and on what your ideal rugby game would be

I am well aware that this is more than likely never going to happen and there are probably many technical problems I haven't thought of so please give as much constructed positive/negative feed back and any of your own ideas:)

I can't really comment on your dreams of rugby or things that even i cannot mod. Nice dream though.

This sort of thing is featured in games such as FIFA 09, NBA 2k9/09, NHL 09 already, so it will probably come to Rugby games eventually. The main problem is selfishness. Playing Rugby in reality, selfishness will make your team hate you, and your coach will probably bench you. In a game however, there would be no real consequence - unless you included a coach and/or gave the team the ability to vote players off.

well if you have 15 players per team who know each other well i t shouldn't be a problem

things like selfishness aren't a big issue.. easy ways to get around them..

The thing is the basic concept.. of the whole camera angle being around the one player.. and you can choose which one you wish to control and the rest are bots..

But the good thing is that each player would be indept.. so all the things that the no.7 does in the game you control etc.

I genuinely think it'd be an excellent game.. but would require a top class engine..and lets face it , it's unlikely we are going to get a good rugby engine any time soon.. especially with the dribble EA come out with

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JohnBE @ Jan 13 2009, 12:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
things like selfishness aren't a big issue.. easy ways to get around them..

The thing is the basic concept.. of the whole camera angle being around the one player.. and you can choose which one you wish to control and the rest are bots..

But the good thing is that each player would be indept.. so all the things that the no.7 does in the game you control etc.

I genuinely think it'd be an excellent game.. but would require a top class engine..and lets face it , it's unlikely we are going to get a good rugby engine any time soon.. especially with the dribble EA come out with[/b]

This would pretty much work using the JLR engine.

I mean in a lot of detail.. for example during the scrum the prop would be able to push upward and downward etc.. so you'd have to code all the 8 players doing their individual thing and how it effects the scrum..it would be very complicated.. not just push forward.. that would be a boring game!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (JohnBE @ Jan 13 2009, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I mean in a lot of detail.. for example during the scrum the prop would be able to push upward and downward etc.. so you'd have to code all the 8 players doing their individual thing and how it effects the scrum..it would be very complicated.. not just push forward.. that would be a boring game![/b]

Well, scrums in JLR are pretty quick, so there wouldn't be very much opportunity to be bored. Rucking and mauling, on the other hand, require a technique beyond just pressing forward, which would prevent serious boredom for forwards, and lineouts in JLR are very intricate.

yeah well as a prototype you could use the jlr engine but to actually play it at an interesting long level it would require a massive engine

It wouldn't be a great call to over-complicate things - then everybody would just be awful it, and you couldn't really get anywhere.

well true.. but there can be different levels of depth and difficulty.. starting at just the simle and going to totally indepth so it's not over complicated unless you feel you're ready for it.. all those problems are superficial

Any ideas how to make the forwards scrummage/ruck other than "push"?

I like the idea but its too complicated to become a reality in the near future.

Oh and for the selfishness you could perhaps be able to punch players - so then the guy gets replaced and doesn't play (actually another point - would there be replacements because that could get boring, or maybe the original player, say 9, controls the replacement 9 also) though admittedly you wouldn't be playing either...perhaps a updated '99 call might work.

For an effective rucking and mauling system I think you'd have to make the rugby ball's "bubble" more accurate than it is now, because in 06 and 08 it seems as if the ball bobbles out of rucks and mauls quite often and suddenly appears back in them. Also the quick service of halfbacks seems to be neglected while everyone moves to their own designated positions (not realistic), and pouring all of your forwards into a ruck has very little effect anyway. It would be great to have these things corrected, because whenever a turnover is on almost all of the forwards pile in and either the ball is won quickly by the attacking team, slowly by the team seeking the turnover or a free kick is awarded either way for any number of offenses.

Latest posts