• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

My Favourite Rugby Players of all time.

Bit obvious maybe but I'd imagine I speak for more or less every Irish person anywhere near my age on this one.

rupeni caucaunibuca awesome on offense

Christian Cullen
Danie Gerber
Joost vd Westhuizen
Serge Blanco

Args, it's a close call between JMH and Felipe.

Christian Cullen
Danie Gerber
Joost vd Westhuizen
Serge Blanco

Args, it's a close call between JMH and Felipe.
are you too young to have seen Hugo Porta?
I did Many times and he was out of this world. jmh and Felipe are way behind and remember that Hugo played for Banco nación not in Europe and then he completed vs SA France and the ABS. he was one in a million his kicking just brilliant side stepping vision he had all. just watch the video
remember when he beat England with his club. it remains iMO the highest point in arg rugby

Last edited:
No, i am probably on the old side. I enjoyed Hugo's play a lot, but i'd still rate him below Felipe and JMH. In fact from that generation, i prefered Martin Sansot but i am biased and that prolly merits another thread. Porta was a gem, no doubt, but not the best in my book.

Felipe was, imo, the most influential player in Arg's rugby, bar none. More than Porta, more than Pichot. His winning mentality was instrumental for the Pumas and that was, imo, because he was part of a fantastic generation of young players who were the first to beat the ABs at youth levels (destroyed england and South Africa too, only lost to Australia who had a pretty spectacular generation too). Him, his brother, Gaitan, Oso Galli, Corleto, Sanchez Sinny, Roncero.

And Felipe was a natural leader. He was the kind of player than when in a 1v1 defensively, you knew they would not score, and when he was 1v1 offensively, he would. He was not outstanding at anything, but he was very, very good at everything (except that one missed kick against the ABs).

JMH at his peak was phenomenal. Sheer raw talent, he was probably our best, ever. He wasn't as good a decision-maker as Felipe, not even close imo and he was not a leader either. Sure, people listened to him and most will tell you watch this or that game to proe me wrong. Those games where when he was on the old side, already a reference player. Felipe was again, kind of a commander from day 1. This is a natural thing. Porta had it, Pichot had it, Felipe had it in spades. JMH did not.
But when you look at moments of brilliance, he's got quite a lot of those.

Another thing and this is personal; i tend to rate defensive play a lot and both JMH and Felipe were outstanding tacklers who never shied away from a contest. Never. Hugo was not a particularly good tackler.

must say that the time that hugo played I was so so into rugby that I could not think of anything else. ( while I was palying) by the time Felipe and jmh played it was the period where I watched the less. for instance I never saw them play in Europe. just for pumas. so that makes a big diference in the appreciation. I do remember that game 1999 wc when Alex wylie replaced quesada with Felipe and 5 mins later he created the famous try that albanese scored for the win vs Ireland.
but you know favorites are favorites. Felipe was never even close to portas kicking game both legs. drops penalties. from half court. strategical. and this in not the modern ball these old leather balls of the seventies where so heavy! ( ive just remembered the sand ball!! is that still in use? )portas defence? i dont know ;) but he was a great leader too.
what a classy player Sansot was. really good too top 5 for sure. Porta, Felipe, Sansot, jmh y otro crack que fue arturo Rodriguez jurado

Dan Carter for me Best player I've seen play

Most talented player I've seen is Juan Martin Hernandez

Guy was a freak Kicked off both feet well Drop goals off both feet

Play #10, #12 + #15 well

Speed, Skill & Power in abundance

For me Best Argentinian player ever

You'll struggle to find a greater #9, #10, #12 combo in the history of modern Int'l Rugby than:

Agustin Pichot JM Hernandez & Felipe Contemponi

Only trio I might rate even higher is: Aaron Smith Dan Carter Ma'a Nonu

Last edited:
Dan Carter for me Best player I've seen play

Most talented player I've seen is Juan Manuel Hernandez

Guy was a freak Kicked off both feet well Drop goals off both feet

Play #10, #12 + #15 well

Speed, Skill & Power in abundance

For me Best Argentinian player ever

You'll struggle to find a greater #9, #10, #12 combo in the history of Int'l Rugby than:

Agustin Pichot JM Hernandez & Felipe Contemponi

Only trio I might rate even higher is: Aaron Smith Dan Carter Ma'a Nonu

just for the record is Juan Martin hernandez. but I thought this was about favorites is not the same as the best! about the greatest trio
I like that you metion pichot , jmh and felipe but you are taking it too far. eduards, John /Bennet frenwik?

just remembered another great favorite John Kirwan i met him as a kid I had his autographed photo in my room.
he was iMO the first modern big winger everybody says lomu but he was that kind of player. true lomu took it one step beyond

just for the record is Juan Martin hernandez. but I thought this was about favorites is not the same as the best! about the greatest trio
I like that you metion pichot , jmh and felipe but you are taking it too far. eduards, John /Bennet frenwik?

Damn it

I got my wires crossed with Juan Manuel Leguizamon

Just to clarify JM Hernandez was the my favourite rugby player
I added Carter for a bit of context

Latest posts