• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

My pennies worth

J

jimmy44

I played rugby 06 to death so I was looking forward to seeing some changes in 08 - I've listed a few thoughts below
  • Special moves seem to work better, particularly the shoulder charge
  • Cameras are ok, though I preferred the old classic view where you change direction each half
  • Seems much harder to score which is great, although there are still glaring gaps in the AI defence, particuarly down the blind side
  • Still scoring the same tries as 06
  • I like the goal line defence - getting fewer push over tries
  • AI attack seems to be a bit better, and good teams break more tackles
  • Much faster, and players have greater turn of speed i.e from run to sprint
  • Advanced mauls and lineouts pretty weak in my opinion
  • Drop goals terrible, havn't worked out how to do it
  • Lack of tournament choice is a real let down - why oh why did they take out the ten nations and I hate having to play the same pool games in the world cup!
  • Bugs galore and the rosters are a mess - silly things like giving star players the wrong mug shot (David Streetle is NOT bald!) also I noticed some AI teams have starting line ups with people out of position! Its obvious this game is a rush job
  • World cup is exactly the same as 06 except for a few flags! If this is a world cup edition, where are all the fire works, cut scenes, world cup commentry? Very weak
  • Commentry is the same - I turn it off.
If I hadn't bought rugby 06 and played this for the first time I would have given the game an 8, but to be honest after 10 games I'm bored of it already, because I was bored of 06. For effort I would give EA 5/10. They need to do better to please the rugby gaming fans, but because there is no competition, I fear they don't NEED to do better

Also I have concerns that we might not see a rugby 09. Just a thought, but if they couldn't spare the budget for rugby 07, and rugby 08 is only an update and cashing in on the world cup, I don't see much hope for a rugby 09.Sorry to be pessimistic, hope I'm wrong.

Also I have concerns that we might not see a rugby 09. Just a thought, but if they couldn't spare the budget for rugby 07, and rugby 08 is only an update and cashing in on the world cup, I don't see much hope for a rugby 09.Sorry to be pessimistic, hope I'm wrong.

It's not about sparing the budget. EA rugby is by no means a Fifa or Madden, but it is a profitable and worthwhile franchise. I am surprised they aren't going next-gen later this year but perhaps they weren't in a position to. Perhaps they weren't able to "steal" the fifa engine at this time, or perhaps the userbase wasn't there for it to be viable to develop a 360 version.

This is my first time playing a rugby game on the pc and bearing in mind getting to grips with new controls and awkward frop goals I still beat Ulster 78-21 using Munster in my first game, though it was on Club level.

The goal line defense at least on that level was easy to get through.

i hardly notice the difference between the 3 difficulty levels aye lol

but drop goals as you said, it took me a long time to get used to it, still getting there, its those press hold down and release in the gap ones, it doesn't work with a rugby game imo, its too fast!

Yeah the drop goal kick sux I used to use it in running play but now am restricted to just kicking from the ruck or maul. But the game overall I reckon has improved cause at least the cpu got better and can score decent trys

I like the other kicking elements though. I suppose drop goals being harder to do is more realistic they were too easy to do in 06. Now they require a bit of timing and accuracy which I think is a good thing.

Played my second game as Ireland against Canada and won 116-18. This time on Pro (I'm going up each level to see if there's much of a difference) and the line defense is a bit better but it's rediculously easy to score directly from receiving a kick off. Two or three passes and you're in.

Latest posts