• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

My REVIEW of Rugby 2005

Cheers JJ,

I guess the pc version will have the sharpest graphics.

No online play - just have to "play with myself" then...

Originally posted by kinkon89@Feb 26 2005, 11:55 AM
dont u have frends?
I'll be getting it on PC first up, but that doesn't mean I don't have friends... it's just that my mates aren't into sitting around playing video games most of the time... occassionally yeah, but the majority of the time I will play the game, it will be against the AI...

cos wont u get bored of playing the A.I ?

a human player adds the icing on the cake.....it makes the feeling of playing rugby 2005 mad, kickass, sick ass

last minute tries!

Hello, Im new to this forum and am glad to say I am happy to have finally found a comprehensive and well used forum on rugby gaming, and im now a little exited rather than nervous about rugby 2005, I do have a couple of questions though. Firstly, and im sorry if youve already anwered this, locksley, how did you get a copy so early!!! are you in some position of power??!! either way I found the review very helpful, and it answered most of my questions. I do have one more for you though, I also read your other reviews, and in rugby 2004 you spoke about the rediculous postion in which the ball was held as if it had a handle or was glued to the players hand. I recently watched a rugby 2005 trailer and was shocked to see a snippet of the same thing, an English player is sprinting in midfield before getting hit and knocking on, and the ball is clearly attached by magic to his hand, did they fix this in the final version, is the ball tucked in where it should be??

Originally posted by CeeJay@Mar 3 2005, 03:46 PM
Hello, Im new to this forum and am glad to say I am happy to have finally found a comprehensive and well used forum on rugby gaming, and im now a little exited rather than nervous about rugby 2005, I do have a couple of questions though. Firstly, and im sorry if youve already anwered this, locksley, how did you get a copy so early!!! are you in some position of power??!! either way I found the review very helpful, and it answered most of my questions. I do have one more for you though, I also read your other reviews, and in rugby 2004 you spoke about the rediculous postion in which the ball was held as if it had a handle or was glued to the players hand. I recently watched a rugby 2005 trailer and was shocked to see a snippet of the same thing, an English player is sprinting in midfield before getting hit and knocking on, and the ball is clearly attached by magic to his hand, did they fix this in the final version, is the ball tucked in where it should be??
Welcome to the forum.

A lot of SHers actually DO hold the ball like this - Samo, Caucau to name a couple.

I used to luv it when I would make a break with CauCau for the Blues and he would go all freshy hands! It was primo!!

Can see why wouldn't feel right for players/gamers from elsewhere tho.....

I think I will throw Caucau back in the Blues - he only left b/c he couldn't be an AB and was getting shortchanged...I will bring him back on 300 grand a year and take those Highlanders down in the first game!!

Wahooooooooooooooooooo!!
<

I know what you mean, but these players have the ball in one hand and pushed back securely against there forearm, many players do this and i wouldnt have a problem with that, but in rugby 2004 it was simply glued to their hand and did not look physically possible or reallistic, it was done out of laziness rather than trying to represent the players who really carry the ball in one hand.

Originally posted by CeeJay@Mar 3 2005, 02:46 PM
Hello, Im new to this forum and am glad to say I am happy to have finally found a comprehensive and well used forum on rugby gaming, and im now a little exited rather than nervous about rugby 2005, I do have a couple of questions though. Firstly, and im sorry if youve already anwered this, locksley, how did you get a copy so early!!! are you in some position of power??!!
Locksey is in fact god incarnate...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>

a human player adds the icing on the cake.....it makes the feeling of playing rugby 2005 mad, kickass, sick ass

last minute tries![/b]

Not really... It'll be fun playing friends when possible, but completing tourny's etc and setting challenges against the AI will be where most of my time will be spent with the game.

Originally posted by sanzar@Mar 4 2005, 12:02 AM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE

last minute tries!

Not really... It'll be fun playing friends when possible, but completing tourny's etc and setting challenges against the AI will be where most of my time will be spent with the game. [/b][/quote]
Me too.

Plus, I can yell and make fun of my friends to their face -- don't need a video game to do that.

I have a few questions that I dont think have been covered, so if anyone has the demo or full version and could answer these, that would be great.

1. Is there a manually accessible instant replay that actually works as promised, and does it replay the whole try or just the end?

2. Do the sidesteps, fends, shoulder charges and dummies actually work, or are they just for show and never get you into space?

3. Is it possible for weaker teams to hold the ball for more than one damn phase!?

4. Does head gear look real, and does it have team colours, or is it still green bathing caps for everyone like 2004?

5. If the tackling system is the same as 2004, then how do you perform all the big hits tha Ive seen in the trailers, are just random?

6. Can you edit any teams rosters?

Thanks, if anyone can be bothered.

Originally posted by CeeJay@Mar 5 2005, 12:15 AM
I have a few questions that I dont think have been covered, so if anyone has the demo or full version and could answer these, that would be great.

1. Is there a manually accessible instant replay that actually works as promised, and does it replay the whole try or just the end?

2. Do the sidesteps, fends, shoulder charges and dummies actually work, or are they just for show and never get you into space?

3. Is it possible for weaker teams to hold the ball for more than one damn phase!?

4. Does head gear look real, and does it have team colours, or is it still green bathing caps for everyone like 2004?

5. If the tackling system is the same as 2004, then how do you perform all the big hits tha Ive seen in the trailers, are just random?

6. Can you edit any teams rosters?

Thanks, if anyone can be bothered.
Oh mate c'mon - those questions are answered in other threads...but you're new so we'll go easy first time -next time hunt longer...

1. Instant replay - yes - don't know how much control over it but is some degree and YES it goes miles back.

2. Yes all fends, sidesteps etc work but are harder to perform on HARD level (much harder)...but all do work.

3. Weaker teams etc...YES - the AI is quite impresive on all levels in terms of the inventiveness of their attack, but defence on easy etc can only take so much heat from the smoking Joe Rokocoko (but I digress...)

4. Head gear is different and not only green.

5. Tackling animations very varied - which one done probably depends on timing etc and angles - strength of tackler, weakness of runner etc.....and vice versa etc...

6. Can edit team rosters - yes. There would be no point having less options than one of the gayest games ever.

7. I couldn't be bothered but have done it anyway.

peace.
<

Sorry dude, Im just not used to a rugby game forum with so much to read! thanks for your time.

Cheers for an extremely comprehensive review. I had seen videos and glimpses and saw a different game to 2004 which should have been call Blockhead Rugby! Can't wait until its on the shelves in the UK!!!

Locksley, is gavin henson any good on 05 and who in your opinion are the best players on it. also if possible could you say the whole england squad.

cheers

top shelf review there mate, look forward to playing it.

and i agree JLR had the best kicking system out but im sure they're sort it out over time. bring it on!

I think I may have the best record in this game on World League.

I haven't lost a game
Scored an average of 40 points per match
more than 4 tries a game

I have finished the Easy, Normal, and now halfway through league.

Tips.

Before you start the league create some players in one team to use for trades.

I created a First Five (Waisale Serevi) - playmaker, commander.
2 X wingers... 1 x Fullback

Used Rupeni and, Robinson in the midfield as cheap buys - good though.

All loose forwards 6,7,8 as ball winners and runners. (this will increase the turnovers for ya)

keep hitting your forwards to drive it up and hold down R3 to secure the ball going into contact.
They key is to pick and go when there's space with the halfback and let him link with the wingers..ie draw and pass.

SAMALA - (the master)

Latest posts