• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

My Rugby 08 Review: After 1 Match

D

DC

Alright so i picked up rugby 08 today for ps2 and i just got done playing my first game in the world cup against england (me playing as the usa).

I got smashed 28-0 playing on elite here.

First thing you'll notice about this game is that during open play the graphics are a step down from thsoe of 06, but its not neccessarily a bad thing. Another thing you'll notice is that the gameplay is much quicker paced than in the previous version. What i really liked was on occasions when the england team would cut up my defense theyd have a 2 on 1 with the fullback and unlike on other versions instead of them just running into the fullback they passed out of it for the easy try.

Another thing i like a lot about this game is that now it is possible to turn england over at the breakdown now and then and it is possible to actually KEEP possession of the ball at the breakdown for a few phases.

Team chemistry is an interesting concept i will have to play around with it more to find its full benefits but kimball kjarr and mike hercus in the half backs made my team chemistry 50% so we'll see what other combos i can do here..

so far i would rate this game an 8/10... ill review more later.

No actually its a bit harder, before i would easily win the world cup with the USA now i dont make it out of the pool stage.

Looks like HB has finally done some of their homework on stadiums..

From memory here stadiums include

Kingsholm
Edgely (or whatever sales is called)
Wasps is on there
Stradey Park
Memorial Stadium
Madjeski Stadium
Franklins Gardens
Vicarage Road
Welford Road
Sixways Stadium
Ulster
and some more

Granted france has a boatload of stadiums because of the world cup..

Great stuff DC. When you got 2 minutes can you check a few things.

* Can you pick players another position than their set position (e.g. a natural fly half at centre. If you do that in 06 players will continuously knock forward the ball)
* Is the dreaded French curse gone - The one where the French players injure 5+ players a game.

Do they have the Liberty Stadium, Cardiff Arms Park and Rodney Parade aswell as Stradey?

ill check the french thing later

and i think its pretty much the same in terms of players out of position theres that red lettering again and all but i will make an attempt to try both of these in a bit.

as far as i know the welsh stadiums are stradey, cardiff arms, and newports.. i didnt see the ospreys stadium

ill check in a bit i know saints are on this game for sure but i have to check later because my brother is playing resistance fall of man on the ps3 right now..

but all signs point to the 06 season because thats what the possible schedule for the 6N was.

mite, the schedule for the GP is 2007 afterall, and the northampton saints are in it.

mite, the schedule for the GP is 2007 afterall, and the northampton saints are in it. [/b]

<embed src="http://xml.searchvideo.com/eb/i/2194967589/a/58ef677afb89fc040e3dec6de7dd6c26/p/1" flashvars="m=2019665458&type=video" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="341" ></embed>

So DC your playing the ps2 version on a ps3 i gather, apparantly if you play ps2 games on ps3 the graphics arent too hot, did you notice anything too serious and does it play ok on the ps3 otherwise i may have to dust the ps2 off!

news on new star players and such? [/b]

ogara
odriscoll
henson
williams
wilko
robinson
lewsey
giteau
larkham
gregan
latham
tiquiri
collins
rocokoko
carter
mccaw
pichot
dominici
burger
habana
montgomery

are the stars of the top of my head

Butch - it plays fine on the ps3 no major problems ive run across as of yet

Dude Im sorry and I really sound sad here, but can you check the rating of Dwayne Peel please?

It rwally bugged me that he is so under rated in these games and should be a star. Also, what is Wales' rating?

Also, is it possible to actually make a break with the scrum halve on elite, or do you still get creamed every time?

Thanks for info and sorry to be a pain.

Dude Im sorry and I really sound sad here, but can you check the rating of Dwayne Peel please?

It rwally bugged me that he is so under rated in these games and should be a star. Also, what is Wales' rating?

Also, is it possible to actually make a break with the scrum halve on elite, or do you still get creamed every time?

Thanks for info and sorry to be a pain.

[/b]

Peel is an 81 actually he was one of the first guys i checked and i feel the same as you the guy is immense he should be a star.

I made a few short breaks with peel but overall its nothing to change a game and you still get killed right off the ruck a lot. Wales is an 80 overall.

80? That is poor. And Peel should be a star!

EA are so por at picking them!!!!!

Ah well thanks a lot for info mate!

80? That is poor. And Peel should be a star!

EA are so por at picking them!!!!!

Ah well thanks a lot for info mate!

[/b]
wales deserve to be 80 they have been average where did they finsh in the 6 nations was it 5 or 4? i don't think peel has ever been good enough to be a star. kelleher, weepu both are better and niether are stars.

Hey DC,

Nice work! I got just one question is the right analogue more responsive? I don't expect it to be madden like but it would be nice if it was a bit quicker to respond & not slow right down when your side stepping ect..

Hey DC,

Nice work! I got just one question is the right analogue more responsive? I don't expect it to be madden like but it would be nice if it was a bit quicker to respond & not slow right down when your side stepping ect.. [/b]

Eh its pretty much the same, sidesteps and shoulder charges are still the same as the previous version

thanxs for the review. have you tried the advanced scrum and lineout controls i think they're mentioned on the back of the case.thanx

Latest posts