• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

My ultra late, brief but very good meeting Charles in Tokyo!

Prestwick

Airhornsman
TRF Legend
Country Flag
UK
Club or Nation
Saracens
Hi chaps sorry for the uber-late post but in May I met resident French surrealist and bi-lingual superstar Charles in Japan!

I was heading over there with a workmate for three weeks of blessed R&R touring the sites at Osaka - Nagasaki - Fukuoka - Kyoto and Tokyo along the way! Before I left I decided to hit up Charles and ask if he would be about for a few drinks and knowing how expensive Japan may be he offered to show us some cut price short-cuts to a good **** up.

So we met up by this dog statue by Shibuya station next to the big intersection where millions of people cross that you always see on TV reports on Tokyo, etc. Its a popular place to meet as there were tons of Japanese people hanging around looking cute yet shifty and highly fashionable. Luckily neither I, my mate Andy or Charles looked either Japanese, cute or fashionable and we found each other with a minimum of fuss.

Shibuya & Harajuku is the nexus of cool and young which usually means that it is pretty expensive but not always if you know where to look. So Charles took us round the corner and into a side street off the main strip but a few meters from the station to this three or four storey building.

Inside it looked like a packed narrow-ish but long beer hall. Loads of guys sat at tables smoking profusely and drinking beer. Beer machines similar to those at the Millenium Stadium (but were actually efficient rather than the PoS crappy bars manned by Wales' not so finest) dispensing Suntory beer worked overtime and dumb waiters disengorged a constant stream of cheap but redicously delicious food. The staff also were running around here and there delivering beer and food to punters with two way radios and headsets for communication across the building. The operation was slick and highly efficient yet also slightly chaotic in a controlled sense if that makes..er..sense?

Charles cooly got us a table on the 2nd floor and instantly introduced us to the drinking options: Suntory beer for peanuts or a Suntory highball: a combination of cheap Suntory whisky and lemonade/soda/whatever and if you finished it? 50 yen but if you didn't finish it? Something like 250 yen which is still just £1 I believe. In other words: dead cheap drinking.

The night rolled on and on with more beer, more highballs and lots of chatting about Charle's experiences in Japan and it was so amazing to get such a firsthand insight into an ex-pats' life in Japan.

We all had a great time and after we had settled our criminally small bill headed out to a corner shop where we got something I can only describe as lemon flavoured alcohol at about 7 - 10% which was awesome. After we picked up lots of this we did what any self-respecting European would do and thats hang around in a playground in the dark getting wankered. Good times.

Sadly the spectre of work and no trains after midnight haunted us and reluctantly we had to go home. It was pretty good that we left when we did because me and Andy in the end caught the very last train back towards Eastern Tokyo which terminated three stops before Asakusa where we were bedded up meaning a 30 minute tramp back to the hostel.

All in all a great night out and I'd reccomend anyone visiting Japan to hit Charles with the might of thor for a great time!!!!

Sounds like a laugh,
I've been wanting to go to either Seoul or Tokyo like mad recently, considering doing a TEFL after I graduate and teaching out there for a year (not bad money in Seoul, bout £700 a month after taxes, but free accomodation and flights, and cost of living is a lot cheaper there, apparently)
I've got Wanderlust bad :p

Last edited:
Japan has always been somewhere I have wanted to go, sadly I can barely afford to get to Taunton let alone Tokyo at the minute. I will get there though.

Did Charles talk about jazz drummers all night? Were there any girls in school uniforms? Does everyone there think the Chinese will defeat Godzilla?

Hi Prestwick. Hope you went back safe to England. Was nice meeting you and all. Say hi to Andy. Oh and the lemon drink is Chu-Hi. They've got a new one, 9%!!

0319_01_b.jpg

Sounds like a laugh,
I've been wanting to go to either Seoul or Tokyo like mad recently, considering doing a TEFL after I graduate and teaching out there for a year (not bad money in Seoul, bout £700 a month after taxes, but free accomodation and flights, and cost of living is a lot cheaper there, apparently)
I've got Wanderlust bad :p

Don't go to Korea mate, they're batshit insane, and the english monkey business is a real rip-off. You can always go there for a week-end when you live in Japan.

Shtove: I didn't talk about jazz drummers, but there were highschool girls in uniform and LOTS of eye candy in general. This summer has been absolutely unreal on that front actually. Still 37 degrees as well here...

Last edited:
Japan is alos on my list, maybe next next year as my friend left Germany and now the free accommodation is available, might do a combo with S-korea

Excellent. I wouldn't mind visiting Japan but suspect I'm going to need to save up for a lifetime to get there.

Don't go to Korea mate, they're batshit insane, and the english monkey business is a real rip-off. You can always go there for a week-end when you live in Japan.
How so?
I've only read good things, but it's all just been testimonials from TEFL companies, so they're obviously not going to put up the bad stuff :p

How so?
I've only read good things, but it's all just been testimonials from TEFL companies, so they're obviously not going to put up the bad stuff :p

It's entirely made-up is what you mean. Check the website of the US embassy in Korea they have a special page about hagwon (english school). For instance, your visa is sponsored by the company. Which means that if you quit, you'll have to leave the country immediately. Lots of people have had their passports confiscated and had to run to the US embassy to get nother one done and get the **** out etc...Obviously you have to be very very careful...

nah my older sister and brother both teached in korea reckoned it wasnt bad, just a bit boring at times

Well maybe they could have TAUGHT you slightly better use of the English language.

Latest posts