• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

n00b Q: what position would sonny bill play?

I

InsaneAsylum

possible n00b question but I don't really watch or follow league so i don't know... but where will sonny bill slot into union?

i checked his stats and he's 191cm and 108kg

would he suit flanker/number 8, or be a big centre or winger?

Saw a interview on the news it had Tana Umaga over in Toulon and he hinted at Sonny Bill Williams playing in the no.13 jersey but for his size he would be suited to be 6,7 or 8 but because he has a bit of pace with his size the centre position would be considered.

There's a bit of technique involved with playing as a flanker though. I'd put him at centre personally.

Has he played Union before?

Toulon may do like the Sracens did with Farell, i.e. to test him at different position. There are a cerain number of pre-season friendlies matchs planed for Toulon. The first one is going to be played this Friday. There's also one planed versus Toulouse in a couple of weeks. This gives Umaga the posibility to test SBW at different positions although I think this is too short to train him properly to Rugby Union. We'll see how he instinctly behaves in Union match.

Center fo' sho'.

He's got the pace and ball handling/offloading/passing skills so why not?

Well knowing that Umaga was about to enter the field again this season I'd say they picked him to play at outside center. Besides, they don't really need him as a loosie as they already have plenty of people here (Collins, Van Niekerk, Koyamaibole etc...). So definitly #13 me thinks...

Can't wait for the season to begin. The Toulon Toulouse friendly will be a cracker tbw...

Center seems to be the most logical choice it would be easier to adapt to that position too. He needs brains in order play flanker and he looks like too much of a pretty boy to play loosie No homo. If Umaga is going to play again he should be #12 while SBW plays at #13.

From what I've seen 13 sounds about right for this guy, he looks to have really good balance and also some speed, might develop into a big tackler and that's also welcome as centre.

Are there any successful league converts who've gone into the backrow? I'm drawing a blank on that one.

Are there any successful league converts who've gone into the backrow? I'm drawing a blank on that one. [/b]

Christian Labit former Toulouse N°8 was a convert from the Footbal Club Lézignan (current RL Champion in France). He was a very good Club Rugby player. He has a couple of caps too.

In his first interview since leaving for France, Sonny Bill has confirmed that he will be playing centre and wants to become one of the worlds best, if not THE best and eventually play for the All Blacks.

He wants to play for the all blacks... but really if the all blacks pay him enough

It will take some time before SBW will be able to gain a grasp of Union. It's a big leap coming from a League forward to any position in Union it's a completely different structure and ball game.

I think centre is the most likely option because it doesn't see him having to get too heavily involved in the rucking aspect of the game and from centre he can develop his ball playing skills which whilst he has a good offload he hasn't really shown any other ball playing skills.

Another issue is his style of tackling. Before they decide on any permanent position for him he needs to change his tackling style or he's going to find himself in alot of trouble.

As for him playing for the All Blacks that could happen either very soon or be a very long way off. The AB's are going to be lacking a centre when Smith retires and even now they are struggling in that position with depth. The first clash in the Tri Nations between Australia and NZ is proof of that.

Plus there's the problem with his building injury count which I think is part of the reason he made the switch to Union. He wants to try and get as much money as he can before he suffers another knee or shoulder injury that rules him out for good.

In the case of SBW it will take some time before he can adapt to Union but under Tana's teaching along with Collins and I think I read somewhere that Carter is also possibly joinging Toulon but I'm not sure about that, he should develop into a promising player.

Good on him for making the switch, all for the right reasons too as far as I can see.
I thought I heard on the grapevine that Perpignan was chasing DC? Don't quote me though...

Latest posts