• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Natwest 6 Nations] Round 3 : Scotland Vs England 24/02/2018 16:45

No your original post doesn't stand because again you are making a mountain out of a molehill when it is your side that have been some of the worst perpetrators in recent years. Want a recent Gatland one? Whinging about the TMO. Recent Wales staff? Accusing us of cheating every game. If anything you are becoming like JonesBoy on here, someone with an axe to grind who is using England losing as an excuse to start being a bit of a prat.

Not at all. I would have said the same about any coach undermining a less experenced player's confidence. I didn't mention england wales at all. Didn't even make a mountain out of a molehill. I wasn't the first to mention this in the forum. I've said it time and time again, its not about england wales, its not about Patchell's performance in the game, and Gatland is no angel. Just because I have an opinion doesn't mean I have an axe to grind. Me thinks you doth protest too much!

Well, the Welsh game was a blip but now that the Nigels have been sorted, it's time to put the Irish away.

Jesus lads i made the mistake of reading the last few pages of crap. I was expecting some plaudits of scotlands performance v an extremely good rugby nation however instead i found crap about EJ and forum members bashing each other.

That aside id like to say that England v Ireland at Twickenham now holds no fear for England. The slam is gone so is a tonne of pressure, most applied by EJ and the media. So now they can focus on the game. Must be strange for Andy Farrell watching his son play out of his skin week in week out yet stay focussed on his own job at hand. I respect both as individuals and they are an assett to the game. Meanwhile i think Scotland at Murrayfield are a tough nut but on the road the wheels fall off. Definite improvements though from wooden spooners in last 20 years.

Jesus lads i made the mistake of reading the last few pages of crap. I was expecting some plaudits of scotlands performance v an extremely good rugby nation however instead i found crap about EJ and forum members bashing each other.

That aside id like to say that England v Ireland at Twickenham now holds no fear for England. The slam is gone so is a tonne of pressure, most applied by EJ and the media. So now they can focus on the game. Must be strange for Andy Farrell watching his son play out of his skin week in week out yet stay focussed on his own job at hand. I respect both as individuals and they are an assett to the game. Meanwhile i think Scotland at Murrayfield are a tough nut but on the road the wheels fall off. Definite improvements though from wooden spooners in last 20 years.

I though Scotland were fantastic and targeted Englands weaknesses tremendously well.

I don't think their back row will have the same affect when faced with O'Mahoney/Leavy/Stander. I hope they do alright though.

Biggest positive for England from the loss is that it could be a catalyst for change. Fear though that it'll end up being minimal, with just Underhill starting over Lawes.

I though Scotland were fantastic and targeted Englands weaknesses tremendously well.

I don't think their back row will have the same affect when faced with O'Mahoney/Leavy/Stander. I hope they do alright though.

Biggest positive for England from the loss is that it could be a catalyst for change. Fear though that it'll end up being minimal, with just Underhill starting over Lawes.
Was there much change after last year's loss? I think a few personnel changes is the most England can hope for before summer, system changes are a much longer process.

Was there much change after last year's loss? I think a few personnel changes is the most England can hope for before summer, system changes are a much longer process.

Nope all of that 23 barring Billy V (injury) and Tom Wood are still involved.

Only differences between that XV and the one that XV and the one that faced Scotland are:

Daly started over May
Billy V was at 8
Haskell at 7 (Robshaw out injured)
Marler started over Mako
Itoje was 6, Lawes was 5.

I do think though that the loss to Scotland has highlighted a total inability to dominate, or even protect the breakdown, and that as soon as we lose that battle our narrow defence is hugely vulnerable. I also think that we couldn't impose ourselves to the same extent we wanted to due the obvious lack of ball carriers.

In terms of systems, I anticipate no changes. We must need to alter personnel so we can effectively work within the systems.

Hopefully the forwards also work together a bit tighter and employ the pod system to some extent, to try and avoid isolation.

If Curry and Underhill were in the side, they'd be able to slow opposition ball which would be a great start for me.

Nope all of that 23 barring Billy V (injury) and Tom Wood are still involved.

Only differences between that XV and the one that XV and the one that faced Scotland are:

Daly started over May
Billy V was at 8
Haskell at 7 (Robshaw out injured)
Marler started over Mako
Itoje was 6, Lawes was 5.

I do think though that the loss to Scotland has highlighted a total inability to dominate, or even protect the breakdown, and that as soon as we lose that battle our narrow defence is hugely vulnerable. I also think that we couldn't impose ourselves to the same extent we wanted to due the obvious lack of ball carriers.

In terms of systems, I anticipate no changes. We must need to alter personnel so we can effectively work within the systems.

Hopefully the forwards also work together a bit tighter and employ the pod system to some extent, to try and avoid isolation.

If Curry and Underhill were in the side, they'd be able to slow opposition ball which would be a great start for me.

The breakdown was clearly a problem for England, but do you think that perhaps the team were complacent and not as focussed and up for the match as Scotland?

but do you think that perhaps the team were complacent and not as focussed and up for the match as Scotland?
I don't think so,
I find it hard to believe any top level sportsman can allow themselves to coast - you have to dedicate so much of your life to becoming an international class athlete that I don't think it's in their DNA to not give it their all.

I just think Scotland implemented the right gameplan to perfection.
I've been saying for a while now that a game like this was on the cards. We've been winning ugly but not learning from the poor performances, allowing the result to paper over cracks.
The breakdown has been an issue for a long time but we've made no effort to rectify it. The success of our attack, and defence, distracted from our lack of breakdown work.
If a side can exploit that and also implement the attacking game that they want, as Scotland did, It's a rough ride for England.

I don't think so,
I find it hard to believe any top level sportsman can allow themselves to coast - you have to dedicate so much of your life to becoming an international class athlete that I don't think it's in their DNA to not give it their all.

I've been saying for a while now that a game like this was on the cards. We've been winning ugly but not learning from the poor performances, allowing the result to paper over cracks.
The breakdown has been an issue for a long time but we've made no effort to rectify it. The success of our attack, and defence, distracted from our lack of breakdown work.
If a side can exploit that and also implement the attacking game that they want, as Scotland did, It's a rough ride for England.

Our defence was based on dominating the breakdown. Narrow defence hoping for slow ball, big line speed and high pressure

As soon as we lost the breakdown, Scotland could capitalise on our narrow defence.

We shot up, dog legged, looked all over the place.

Each opponent offers a different threat. I expect the French won't pose the same threat, and we will be more effective

I don't think so,

I'd respectfully suggest to you that it is impossible to maintain the same level of intensity week after week. The emotional toll of the highest level of intensity is too much. So players and teams do coast and only raise themselves for the most important matches. In the England teams mind Scotland were not a huge challenge especially given their recent performances, so were not as up for it as they will be playing Ireland or New Zealand. New Zealand don't need to be at their best to win because many teams (eg Wales) just assume they are going to lose. England face the challenge that for the other NH teams beating them is how they measure their year so will try and raise the intensity for that game. As Sir Steve was want to say, on his worst day he was still the best in the world. That is the challenge that any team must try and fulfil.

Trying to draw a line under the squabbling hence cleaning up the thread.

You could have with respect put a line under the 'squabblng' by saying, 'no more posts'. Instead, again with respect, you simply deleted comments that you didn't like or agree with. This upholds other members views that this is not a fair balanced forum at all.

You could have with respect put a line under the 'squabblng' by saying, 'no more posts'. Instead, again with respect, you simply deleted comments that you didn't like or agree with. This upholds other members views that this is not a fair balanced forum at all.
EDT is pleased to see you back after the unfair treatment you received yesterday. It is best for those who posted such absurdity that their posts have been deleted. It is a shame that some right minded moderate posters lost their posts as well.

Latest posts