• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Naughty Cruden staying in New Zealand

TRF Mr Fish

Your Piscine Overlord
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/10528759/Cruden-left-at-home-after-night-out-drinking

Aaron Cruden has been expelled from the All Blacks' tour of Argentina and South Africa after a late night drinking incident.

Cruden did not travel with the team to Buenos Aires on Sunday after being reprimanded by All Blacks coach Steve Hansen for a boozy night.

"After going out and drinking he is not here. As a consequence of those actions he won't be coming on the Argentinean or South African leg of the trip," Hansen revealed on Monday. "We wanted to be upfront about that."

The incident occurred in Auckland after the team's flight was delayed from Saturday afternoon until Sunday morning.

"We didn't have a curfew. He was out drinking and he didn't get there in time," Hansen said.

"It's obviously disappointing and out of character for Cruds. He's extremely disappointed in himself. He understands there has to be a consequence for his actions. Once we get this out of the way then he will be coming back into the group when we go to Brisbane [for the third Bledisloe Cup test].

"It's not what we, or he, stands for. We all make mistakes. Like our children we love them but sometimes we don't love their behaviour. The team is well aware when we don't get that right there are consequences. He's paid the price for that."
Cruden will be replaced - but not by Daniel Carter - and his omission opens the door for Beauden Barrett and, to a lesser extent, Colin Slade over the next two weeks.

Whoops!

Guess Barrett will earn his second and third starts at first five now (which isn't a terrible thing for us).

A bit out of character for Cruden - I've heard he is a very committed and focused individual. In the bright side Barrett gets a chance to start a couple of test, which will certainly be good for his development.

isn't dan carter not suppose to be coming back ?
Carter will be back playing for Canterbury sometime over the next few weeks, but the AB's selector don't want to rush him back too soon. He will likely be available for the AB's for the 3rd Bledisloe test in Brisbane in about a months time.

Last edited:
Weird. Even Hansen has said it's completely out of character for him.

Barrett and Slade it is. Sickening 3rd and 4th choice fly halves.

wonder what he's actually done to miss out on an international test. They say he was just out drinking...well Barrett must be thinking it's a blessing from the gods.

Yeah would be interested to see what they classed as "drinking"

140922043630643972.jpg

I saw a pic of him with a mate of mine that night. He looked pretty wasted. You know the eyes half closed look. Sounds like he couldn't get up the next morning for the flight lol. Strange he let that happen to himself.

Since he is already hanging out late, just proceed straight to airport from "THE PLACE" or check in a airport hotel....Simple

Very strange form Cruden. I doubt it was anything more serious than just drinking late and sleeping in, but it definitely shows that the All Blacks are being particularly strict.

Cruden seems like a pretty on to it dude who as far as I have seen has a good head on his shoulders. Bit of a whoops moment. Good for Barrett and Slade though.

Weird. Even Hansen has said it's completely out of character for him.

Barrett and Slade it is. Sickening 3rd and 4th choice fly halves.

I think England have some serious talent at fly half as well that guy for Bath on the weekend must be the fourth choice as well, along with Farrell, Burns and Cipriani I wouldn't be too envious.

Big loss . Colin slade is not up to the task. He looks good on the ball but lacks tactical acumen which is crucial for a fly half.Especially in the tight games. Another opportunity for beauden Barrett to continue to learn and improve how to control games. In my opinion Taylor is a better fly Half than Colin slade .

I have never been a fan of Hansen, mostly because he used to have this smug look of entitlement on his face.

But recently I have grown to like him, and I have the utmost respect for him. He doesn't take any nonsense from anyone, and he tells it like it is, no beating around the bush.

A decision like this is necessary, and you have to applaud the coaching team for enforcing the rules within the team protocols.

Big loss . Colin slade is not up to the task. He looks good on the ball but lacks tactical acumen which is crucial for a fly half.Especially in the tight games. Another opportunity for beauden Barrett to continue to learn and improve how to control games. In my opinion Taylor is a better fly Half than Colin slade .

Taylor is about the most overated flyhalf in NZ rugby I dont rate him at all. I see he's got the call up behind Barrett and Slade. The only thing I will say about Taylor is he's an astute player. Other than that he's about as exciting to watch as a sloth as proved in the Crusaders campaign early in the season. A AB's flyhalf he is not.

I really would of thought Ihia West would of got a look in atleast.

The great thing is we will now see how good Barrett actually is before the WC next year. Coming off the bench constantly and tearing up is a totally different thing to starting in SA.

Last edited by a moderator:
Taylor is about the most overated flyhalf in NZ rugby I dont rate him at all. I see he's got the call up behind Barrett and Slade. The only thing I will say about Taylor is he's an astute player. Other than that he's about as exciting to watch as a sloth as proved in the Crusaders campaign early in the season. A AB's flyhalf he is not.

I really would of thought Ihia West would of got a look in atleast.

Didn't Taylor play a game last year and was pretty damn good for the #5 1st five?

The great thing is we will now see how good Barrett actually is before the WC next year. Coming off the bench constantly and tearing up is a totally different thing to starting in SA.

This, 2 games in a row gives him a chance, he start earlier on in the year was ok, so lets see what he can do now.

The groveling apology in the paper is a bit over the top... young lad went out, got drunk on a school night, woke up late for work and has paid the price.

Absolutely no need for the public humiliation of a lad who's otherwise been an exemplary professional.

The groveling apology in the paper is a bit over the top... young lad went out, got drunk on a school night, woke up late for work and has paid the price.

Absolutely no need for the public humiliation of a lad who's otherwise been an exemplary professional.

Storm in a tea cup. What a player he is. I'm a big fan. Can't wait to see him in Top 14 after the WC :)

My exact sentiment. I suppose it just another by-product of the OTT PR and PC obsessed times we are living in.

My exact sentiment. I suppose it just another by-product of the OTT PR and PC obsessed times we are living in.

Maybe, but at least they are consistent. Whether it's Cruden, Beale, O'Connor, Cooper, or any other Ugly Australasian backline player, they will post about their drinking problems... :p

Latest posts