• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Naughty Cruden staying in New Zealand

Go on Aaron, the flight won't leave for ages, have another drink with the boys.

BarrettBeauden.jpg

If all else fails, he could sign for Bath and challenge Ford...
25063.jpg

I agree that Ihaia West probably is no where on the All Blacks radar, but I think you're exaggerating saying he may not be ready for Super Rugby.

In this ITM Cup

His goal kicking has been fairly poor at 61% (many have been conversions from the sideline to be fair), while his tackling has been at 79% (a higher rate than Tom Taylor's this ITM Cup). Furthermore his tackling was almost exactly the same in Super Rugby at 78%, while he was kicking at 72% (ironically higher than Tom Taylor's kicking percentages in Super Rugby last year). I think he's actually a pretty tidy game manager. His running is obviously brilliant, but I think he has a good mind when to pass or when to plug the corners. Still early days so I'd like to see him get at least two or so more seasons of Super Rugby to improve before looking seriously at test selection.

I hope someone pays Daniel Carter a ludicrous amount of money after this RWC...maybe Toulon. They can give him some of the children's blood or baby's tears or w/e they were giving Wilkinson to stop him from breaking down all the time.

TRF_nickdnz why must you be so insolent? Rather that take my post in the spirit with which it was written, you go and dig up "facts". Seriously I didn't come here to argue... It is so beneath me. Like that dog turd I stood on and have been tramping around for the last 2 hours. Like think. I'm a New Zealander. I watch rugby. I'm the same height as Ihaia West. I know this ****....

Sorry..... I tried adopting a new style of posting. It didn't really work for me so I will start again.......

As you say it is probably an exaggeration to suggest West isn't ready for Super Rugby. In a perfect world I wouldn't have him starting at Super Rugby level, but he would probably warrant a spot in someones squad. Though his tackling rate looks reasonable at first glance it is important to note how effective these tackles are, and how many tackles he has been making. Though you could argue that he has been making his tackles at the required rate most of these tackles have been very passive, meaning the opposition have no problem getting over the advantage line with him at 10. In addition you will note that the actually number of tackles he has made isn't that high. Indeed Taylor has made almost the same number of tackles in less than half the game-time. This suggests to me that (a) West has been hidden somewhat on defense, and (b) there have been quite a few occasions where he has been in a position to attempt a tackle (especially on the cover defense) but has chosen not to (i.e. he employed the patented Quade Cooper defensive side-step). I do think his defense is improving, but I do think it is still a bit of a weakness in his game.

In terms of his goal-kicking the worrying thing is that he seems to be getting worse. He was kicking at 76% last ITM Cup, 72% during the Super Rugby season, and 61% this ITM Cup season. This seasons kicking may be an aberration, but he needs to be kicking in the low 70s at the very least at Super Rugby level. Despite a strong first match West really didn't do a lot at Super Rugby level. He seemed to be playing very much within himself - there were a few well timed passes, but we didn't see a lot of his running game. His game management overall is ok, but I do think he needs to continue to improve his decision making in this area. Ideally for me I would have him playing largely off the bench at Super Rugby level as an impact sub so he gets the chance to develop certain aspects of his game, but I'm not sure what exactly the Blues have in mind for him (I suppose it will largely depend on how Bowden plays).

Last edited:
I wouldn't be worrying about DC needing a big contract to secure himself a nice retirement he owns his own clothing line and water company, plus I don't think his AB salary isn't exactly minimum wage!

Plus he did a year in France for a big payday and he advertises clothes and shizzle, plus his other endorsements for his other brands he promotes.

Latest posts