TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
_51452609_lebron_466x282getty.jpg

The NBA has agreed to play a series of games in Manchester as part of its drive to promote basketball in the United Kingdom.

Team USA, made up of some of the NBA's top stars, will take part in a warm-up match in 2012 ahead of the defence of their Olympic ***le.

Two NBA teams will then feature in a pre-season fixture in autumn 2013. The matches will be held at the MEN Arena.

Since 2007 the NBA has staged annual pre-season exhibition games in London.

On Friday, the New Jersey Nets will face the Toronto Raptors at the capital's O2 Arena in the first ever regular-season game to be played in Europe.

The two teams will then meet again on Saturday at the same venue, which will stage the basketball finals at the 2012 Olympics.

Ahead of the two fixtures the NBA has been staging a series of fan zones, coaching clinics and three-on-three competitions in London, Birmingham, Sheffield, Manchester and Newcastle as part of what they have dubbed NBA Basketball Week.

The NBA has a huge global following but it has struggled to make an impact in the UK.

However, the matches at the O2 Arena have proved a success. In 2009 the Chicago Bulls, featuring GB star Luol Deng, came to London to face the Utah Jazz, while NBA champions the Los Angeles Lakers were the big attraction in 2010, when they were up against the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Last year Paris, Barcelona and Milan also staged games featuring NBA teams.

The decision to bring its stars to Manchester comes at a time when GB's men and women are campaigning for the right to compete in the 2012 Olympics.

Neither team is guaranteed a place, with world governing body Fiba set to decide in March if it will grant host-nation spots .

Fiba has indicated it wants assurances of a long-term commitment to basketball before it will grant GB's men and women entry.

Manchester has not had a top-flight team in the British Basketball League since the Giants folded during the 2001-02 season.

The Manchester Magic play in the second-tier England Basketball League and their home games take place at the Amaechi Basketball Centre, built by British ex-NBA player John Amaechi, who grew up near the city.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/other_sports/basketball/9409373.stm

Definitely going to get tickets for this!

Unless every American hip-hop star does a huge promotion drive here in the UK for BB, it's got about a much chance of mainstream success as rugby has of overtaking soccer in Spain, Brazil, Germany, Argentina and Italy - In the same season.

Unless every American hip-hop star does a huge promotion drive here in the UK for BB, it's got about a much chance of mainstream success as rugby has of overtaking soccer in Spain, Brazil, Germany, Argentina and Italy - In the same season.

The games in the O2 have been successful, it all depends on how good the sides are. Agreed that British Basketball is not that popular because there is a lack of coverage on it and little big names in the league.

The NFL games have pulled in large crowds at Wembley also, but those have mostly been attended by ex-pats and people going for the novelty value more then the game taking off hugely in the UK.

I wasn't so much taking a pop at the sport as pointing out they've got a mammoth task of even getting a small amount of recondition here - Most people here couldn't even name any stars except perhaps Jordan and O'Neil.

The NFL games have pulled in large crowds at Wembley also, but those have mostly been attended by ex-pats and people going for the novelty value more then the game taking off hugely in the UK.

I wasn't so much taking a pop at the sport as pointing out they've got a mammoth task of even getting a small amount of recondition here - Most people here couldn't even name any stars except perhaps Jordan and O'Neil.

I see where you are coming from. All the NBA and NFL games have sold out, there are a large following here in the UK for both sports. Hence why they sell out. I believe that England could not host a franchise for either sport purely for the fact that when people got to Wembley or the O2 because it's only on for one day for the year, I suspect that that regular games would not draw a crowd like the one game a season job.

Think "Saracens @ Wembley" - 40,000ish crowds for those games, but barely above 6000 the rest of the time at VR.

They play the final four tournament of the NCAA at Indiana's Lucas Oil Stadium. Could be staged at either Old trafford or City of Manchester stadium if they are confident of pulling a huge crowd.

I love basketball.
I spent the majority of the past 3 years out in america and with no rugby you learn to enjoy basketball, baseball and yanky football.
I think it's a great idea to bring it to the UK, i don't think they envisage it having mainstream success here any time in the short term future, that would be naive.
But there's nothing to say that a league with bigger names and a more publicised slant to the game that there wouldn't be success in the long term future. Basketball's a great sport, i can see it catching on this country.

Would definitely be good if some better teams played; Nets vs Raptors sounds pretty boring.

I played ball for 8 years, but I grew out of it. I think every NBA game is good fun as there is always a chance the smaller teams beat the bigger teams.

Thoughts on the playoff?
I'm a Lakers fan, but when ever Kobe has a poor night things turn to ****, plus they're old.
Celtics unfortunately look good, but they'll be terrible when the big three retire.
Miami can't win because they have Lebrick and Bosh.

Can't really tell until the playoff comes, and teams change their intensity. But yeah, hopefully Lakers for a threepeat.

As a Celtics fan, I think they will win. I do agree when the Celtics lose Pierce, Garnett, Allen and also O'Neal that's 4 of their strting five gone. Rajon Rondo will have a hard time. It's pretty amazing having four certain hall of famers in one starting team.

As a Celtics fan, I think they will win. I do agree when the Celtics lose Pierce, Garnett, Allen and also O'Neal that's 4 of their strting five gone. Rajon Rondo will have a hard time. It's pretty amazing having four certain hall of famers in one starting team.

Rajon's slightly overrated in my opinion, he could not honestly get those stats without those HOF's. Don't get me wrong he's still alright, but with a mediocre jumper he's still not going to be in the top 3 PG's. Definitely suits this Celtics squad, but when that offense goes, hes defense is gonna be pretty useless.

But the Lakers' will be below 500 soon as well haha

Was actually a brilliant game, went to a 4th Overtime and was close through out.

I would pick Lakers vs Celtics any day; those games can show off the real emotion and intensity involved in this sport. Most of it from Kevin Garnett.
The NBA are trying to show off the game aren't they?

Latest posts