• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Need advice regarding boots.

sambell64

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Castleford
Need some advice with boots, preferably from a ref.

I stumbled across some american football boots and read some reviews about them and they seem to suit me. Problem being they have that one stud by the toe. I keep seeing posts on the internet saying that having the stud there is illegal. However these posts were made 6 years ago and I saw another post written in 2014 saying the IRB has changed the rules allowing that stud on the toe.

Anyway, heres the picture of the stud layout of the American Football boot from two different angles.

Q16769_fr_sc7

Q16769_bo_sc7

The toe stud isn't big as you can see, especially in comparison with the Adidas FF80 2.0's

1088386a.jpg

So am I good to use these boots or will i have to cut the toe stud off?

Cheers!!

Also, it's worth getting boots with kite mark studs rather than plastic blades or tipped blades, as they're definitely legal and can be easily replaced when word down. As far as I know the single toe stud is still illegal, but even if it's not I wouldn't risk it. Some of the refs we have probably haven't looked at a rule book for six years, so.

Adidas are ok, I use the hyper venom Nikes comfy light with decent padding

What position do you play, by the way. Are you looking for 8 or 6 studs (or a freaky odd number with a single at the front, I guess)?

I play centre, I looked at the crazy quicks and they have studs on the toe to.

Latest posts