• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

need help understanding the game

mdblueingreen

Academy Player
hi guys

wondered if someone could help me out i'm just getting into the game of rugby league and have been asked to do some amature coaching, but i'm having a real problem understanding how the attack line s up when the ball is being played, i know the basic formation of full back at back etc..., but say the full back has been tackled and he is playing the ball how does the rest of the team line up, do they stick to the basic formation. also i understand that the backline makes most of the plays and if so what does the front line do and how do they line up on the pitch.
sorry for the vagueness but i hope soemone understands where i am confused. any help would be great cheers.:)

A full back comes into the line to attack as they would in union. Usually you will set up a move to get them into an attack, and they'll usually be second or third receiver. When a full back plays the ball, the attacking line would change but then it changes on every tackle. Nobody will drop in although some teams do get someone to drop in, just in case of a knock on or a ball steal.

Front rowers will usually take the first three tackles, but this is not absolute. Wingers often take the first tackles. Forwards need to get around the play of the ball, a prop or a second rower should take the ball up, and a fellow forward should support them. It's not always possible though.

Latest posts