Neil Jenkins Discussionm

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by C A Iversen, Apr 11, 2008.

1. C A Iversen

C A Iversen Guest

Could not agree more. He was a rugby hero to me too and I'm from New Zealand. He reminds me of our Simon Culhane but given more opportunity!

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. RC

RC Guest

What a legend. Certainly not your all round fly half, but the man carried wales through a period when they were knee deep in shite.
    Good article as well!

4. nick_w

nick_w Guest

A true legend of Welsh rugby whose name will go down along the likes of JPR Williams and Gareth Edwards. Despite my heartbreak of him getting that last minute conversion, it has to be a highlight in the history of five and six nations rugby.

Brilliant article.

5. Cymro

Cymro Guest

Lads thanks for the rep but I dont really deserve it, lol!!! I think someone would have eventually come round to writting an article for him.

Note: The rep is much appreciated tho!

The other reason I want to see Jenks in the hall of fame is the fact that during the 97 Lions Tour he gave me his sweaty training top which he kindly signed for me!

I also have a famous press pic of him kicking (orginal pic)

[​IMG]

He is also know for his small work in the community when he has time.

6. RC

RC Guest

He's also well known for coming into the rugby shop i used to work in and buy kicking tees... :D

7. Steve-o

Steve-o Guest

I remember 1st watching Jenkins when Wales toured here in the late 90's (could be very early 2000's) when he was in his prime. Amazing goal kicker. Was the best flyhalf in the world for awhile imo.
    Definitely deserves a Hall of Fame spot.

8. Cymro

Cymro Guest

I thought you he used sand :p

9. Wonderful player, very versatile and robust. Has a brilliant rugby brain and can stand amongst the best with his head held high.

10. danny

danny Guest

Good to remember "Jenks", one of the best place kickers of all time. I`ll never forget his deadly kicking in the 97 Lions tests against the Boks. He was one of the main reasons we won the series.Respect!

11. RC

RC Guest

[/b][/quote]

Yeah, he uses sand but the players he coaches doesn't. Lol.

12. Cymro

Cymro Guest

[/b][/quote]

Yeah, he uses sand but the players he coaches doesn't. Lol.
    [/b][/quote]

Yea lovely spelling there from me :p

In all seriousness at the Lions in 1997 he would have been better at 10 than 15 but did the job!

13. Cymro

Cymro Guest

Are we going to see if he gets inducted?

14. ollybarkley

ollybarkley Guest

A great article and another great nominee. Certainly an influential player for Wales in time which Wales didn't have much going for it, especially in the backs. Jenkins was most certainly playing out of his element at 15 for the Lions but, as always, he stepped up to the mark and kicked it through the posts. He wasn't the most entertaining 10, but he certainly was consistent and gave everything he could... in that sense I think he was a great asset to Stephen Jones, as he made Jones a better kicker and tactician, which helped Jones continue his career when his own physical skills became more of a detriment than an asset, just as had happened to Jenkins.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!