• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Never Played League

M

mutlock

Hello forum, I'm new to this and I would like your advice?

I have never played league before. I'm playing in a league charity match this weekend. I think there are ex-professionals in the other squad. I'll be 11 or 12. What do I do, just stand two out from the dummy half and charge like a lunatic? Defence will be hard as well, it'll be "heads up " stuff as opposed to union where I just follow the ball. What about double tackles? who goes high/low - or do you just not think about it? If a little guy runs at me with the ball, can you just lift him up and take his arms away and have the ball? Do you never push in scrums?

Mat

Do you never push in scrums?
[/b]

Now that would be what I would find the hardest to adjust to - no contest in there.
Maybe you can do a William Web Ellis on them? You know, demonstrate what the scrum should be all about..?

Sorry that I can't help you with more(or any) answers to your questions - the closest I came to a competitive league game was touch rugby :p

I'll assume you're playing for the Casuals (or as some people like to call them, Northampton RL).

If you've ever played union touch rugby, you'll understand the basics of standing back from a breakdown, advancing the defensive line as a unit, offloading in the tackle and keeping the ball alive for a set of six.

In the scrum, DO NOT PUSH. This is vital - Think of an uncontested scrum in union. However, if the ref isn't looking, giving your opposite number a sly punch in the mouth is acceptable, nay, expected!

For double hits, just go in and make the tackle. Chances are that you won't both there at the same time so you'll see your spot easily enough. Just be sure to get up and get square before the blind ******* with the whistle pings you.

At 11 you'll be playing as a forward, think of your role as similar to that of a union No 8; Pick and drive to power through tackles 1, 2 & 3, but also be prepared to to distribute it. Remember that for the most part that League forwards spend their lives playing like Union back row players (excluding the McCaw-style hands-in-the-ruck).

Above all else though, have fun. League is a lot less tatical or structured then Union, but that in turn allows you to have more fun if you're better suited to "broken play" with your running game. Plus, those missing two men create an awful lot more space.

I'm playing in Leeds.

I liked your comments about the back row, I'm fit enough so I'll be OK. I was worried about being indecisive,getting hurt, looking a prat. I'm getting to grips with the laws. I'm full on for it. Starting to understand that the game situation will be alot more fluid than the training /touch situation so I'm going to enjoy it. I really have to thump him, eh?

Thanks for replying. I'll post an update after.

Thanks for the advice Nosfeatu. I'm having problems with the controls here. Doh! No, not Saints - that was my dad's team.

Best of luck!
[/b]
positives - scored a try at Headingley, got a league shirt with name on back, played with Gary Schofield. So for an old saddo - errr, me not him :) quite a privilige really.
negatives - got bounced off a tackle and put teeth through my bottom lip (not all the way!)
Don't know how many years I can get away with this, but all in all really special day. Really must work on that Yorkshire accent...I was such a southern ponce.

Thanks

<div class='quotemain'>
Best of luck!
[/b]
positives - scored a try at Headingley, got a league shirt with name on back, played with Gary Schofield. So for an old saddo - errr, me not him :) quite a privilige really.
negatives - got bounced off a tackle and put teeth through my bottom lip (not all the way!)
Don't know how many years I can get away with this, but all in all really special day. Really must work on that Yorkshire accent...I was such a southern ponce.

Thanks [/b][/quote]

Had fun did you... hmmm! Begun the journey to the Dark Side you have!!!
yoda.gif

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
Best of luck!
[/b]

Thanks [/b][/quote]

Had fun did you... hmmm! Begun the journey to the Dark Side you have!!!
yoda.gif

[/b][/quote]

The more the merrier

Have to say I'm on the brink of getting one of those England RL shirts. Looking forward to World Cup. It's a cyclic thing, anyway. I used to think RL was a sport in decline - but not anymore. It's also refreshing to get another perspective on english rugby that isn't so hooray/sedbergh/corporate and a bit more chavvy.

Still getting over the all blacks, the french were rot too. Definately losing the war at the moment.

Latest posts