New 12s competition.

Bada-Bing!

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Hong Kong
Club or Nation
British Irish Lions
12s? there is already 10's occasionally and obviously 7's....

This is idiotic. How do they envisage this working? The players aren't available then (and that's not even thinking about the world cup years). Who wants to watch 12 a side either?

people around world rugby seem to think the way to have as much viewership as possible is to have as many games as possible...rather than trying to attractmore people to existing games

FIFA wold be quite happy if they had seven billion people watching the same game because they know the more people share an experience the more importance it has in people lives and the more money they can make

WR seem to want to give everyone their own specific game to watch....and then not talk about it with anyone else because they all have their own games

I'd never heard of 12's before, but I watched every match of the World 10s Series in Bermuda last year on ESPN+ and Ioved it. The South African SX team won the cup.

Last edited:
This is idiotic. How do they envisage this working? The players aren't available then (and that's not even thinking about the world cup years). Who wants to watch 12 a side either?
Well, given players have gotten better at defending, fitter, faster, there are subs now, 12 a side is closer to the designed intent of the game than 15 a side is.

Its like basketball, ok this is going to sound like I'm going against my point because everyone loves a slam dunk, but basketball was designed that players had to throw the ball into the hoop, so once people came along that could slam dunk, they should have raised the height of the hoop. So in this case having slam dunks makes fun watching, but in the rugby case we just get less tries being
Scired

maybe they should just increase the size of the rugby field.

Is 12 players few enough for an open game? In a 30 minute game, it Sounds like an invitation for a penalty goal fest. Maybe they should outlaw penalty goals unless someone gets carded.

Are they allowed subs? how many?

I'm a great lover of history and tradition and as such have little time for these shiny new franchises. No doubt they will have absolutely embarrassing names, just like the Hundred's cricket teams - The Northern Superchargers ffs. :rolleyes:

The players (especially in the Northern hemisphere) take enough of a battering without adding even more games to the calendar, this is certainly not in the interests of player welfare, something that should be at the forefront of everybody's mind at the moment.

We should be playing less rugby not more, it's not the quantity of games but the quality that matters. I hope this flops just as I hope the Hundred flops in cricket.

Well, given players have gotten better at defending, fitter, faster, there are subs now, 12 a side is closer to the designed intent of the game than 15 a side is.

Its like basketball, ok this is going to sound like I'm going against my point because everyone loves a slam dunk, but basketball was designed that players had to throw the ball into the hoop, so once people came along that could slam dunk, they should have raised the height of the hoop. So in this case having slam dunks makes fun watching, but in the rugby case we just get less tries being
Scired

maybe they should just increase the size of the rugby field.

Is 12 players few enough for an open game? In a 30 minute game, it Sounds like an invitation for a penalty goal fest. Maybe they should outlaw penalty goals unless someone gets carded.

Are they allowed subs? how many?
true, and sadly a great example of the flawed approach of WR,

they make a change, more subs, and so we loose the fatigue factor from the game which in the past would have lead to games opening up, more holes. so now we have games that can be tackle/scrum fests for the full 80mins....do we undo the rule that introduced this situation, go to 5 subs unless injury or something?....no...we make ANOTHER change, less people, to try and force what we had before which was open running rugby

and lifting in the lineouts, they then realise they might fall from a great height, do we remove lifting?....no...we just punish contact in the air..but now we have to judge intent to tackle in the air and just accidents...when we could have just gone back to no lifting

I saw the highlights of the 93 NPC final on the socials the other day, bloody hell that was a great game

true, and sadly a great example of the flawed approach of WR,

they make a change, more subs, and so we loose the fatigue factor from the game which in the past would have lead to games opening up, more holes. so now we have games that can be tackle/scrum fests for the full 80mins....do we undo the rule that introduced this situation, go to 5 subs unless injury or something?....no...we make ANOTHER change, less people, to try and force what we had before which was open running rugby

I saw the highlights of the 93 NPC final on the socials the other day, bloody hell that was a great game
Ahh yeah, except they introduced the law because South Africa was pretending to have injured players, but they could have an independent doc or something assess it.

Oh man, that's when I started watching rugby properly, I used to support otago because I liked them and horowhenua wasn't in first division so had to pick a first division side. What a team they had back then.

Exactly mate... this 12's stuff would be a waste of time, they're also copying the same format that the IPL use in cricket, auctioning players off etc, have never bothered watching that rubbish either.

Just seems completely pointless,

They're not going to get pro players involved, best they can hope for is recent retirees/guys about to retire looking for a final paycheque, amateurs/semi-pros and 7s guys

How exactly is it going to inject £250m into the support? Or do they mean the blazers are looking to filter that much off the sponsorship and TV deals?

It's not even endorsed by WR (yet?) so they could just put a complete stop to any pro player playing in it

Former All Blacks head coach Steve Hansen is acting as a World 12s ambassador and believes players will jump at the chance to take part in the new tournament.

"I really think the players will want to be part of this, and they will find a way to push their clubs and unions to look at the calendar," he told BBC Sport.

"Why do I think this is different? Because the players are going to have a vested interest, they will want to play in it for a number of reasons.

"One, financially, that's the obvious one. Two, I think the concept of being able to spend three weeks with some of the best players in the world, rub shoulders on the training field, that is too good to turn down.

"You look at the IPL, people want to be there for the money, but they want to be there because of who they are playing with."

This is just complete fantasy from Hansen

Just seems completely pointless,

They're not going to get pro players involved, best they can hope for is recent retirees/guys about to retire looking for a final paycheque, amateurs/semi-pros and 7s guys

How exactly is it going to inject £250m into the support? Or do they mean the blazers are looking to filter that much off the sponsorship and TV deals?

It's not even endorsed by WR (yet?) so they could just put a complete stop to any pro player playing in it

This is just complete fantasy from Hansen
That's for sure... the laugh is Hansen thinks it's innovating.

Hansen was never an innovating coach for the ABs - he didn't even have the logic to get us to use drop goals in crucial situations until basically in the last year of his coaching career... also the bloke didn't have much of a clue how to counter the rushing defence - there's only two options, take the ball through a lot of phases cleaning out well to get good forward momentum going, or if you're not getting enough numbers to the breakdown on your ball to clean out, the opposition are really going to slow down your possession, then the best option is to kick in behind to turn them around, amazingly Hansen hardly ever got the team to use that tactic... also it's not just on a coach, it's also up to the playmakers at 9 & 10 to read the game properly & take the best options.

Last edited:
I don't mind it.
My hope is that it becomes something to help boost 7's players wages.

Especially in Europe if 12's can kick off, maybe see a domestic summer league.
There is a lot of talent in countries that do miss out on the XV's academies and since most second divisions and 7's are not really viable full time I somewhat dream that this could be a way to try and keep them in the sport.

It's a hope personally I don't see it kicking off.

I will also say I think 12's makes more sense than 10's

Latest posts