• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

new in general and got some questions

david12103

Academy Player
Country Flag
United States
hello my name is alex i am not only brand new to the forum i am brand new to the idea of playing rugby my grandfather played both american football and rugby and loved rugby more i played american football and want to try rugby.
alright my only question for now is and i know it's asked a lot but i need to know what position sounds good for me i understand that that is a hard call for someone to make over the internet but with fairly exact detail hoping you can get in the ball park.
height - 5'10 or 177 CM
weight - 200 pounds or 91 KG
100 meter sprint - just under 10 seconds
i have decent fitness and could be faster if i would lose a few extra pounds.
I am a very good tackler leading my state for 2 years in american football tackles most in the open field.
compared to most west coast Americans i am quite muscular i have very powerful legs and my agility is quite high i can go for a walk to full speed in about 3 to 5 steps and my lateral running ability is outstanding.
i am physically and mentally quite tough, and i love to smash people, dont realy care about glory at all.
those are my strengths here my weaknesses

At full speed i have trouble changing direction quickly because of my weight the inertia it just is to great.
i have trouble catching in american football never practice i was a linemen so with practice would probably improve.
i get very one minded sometimes get to focus on sometimes I.E. the ball.
also don't know many of the rules because i literally just started everything watching and practicing with some friends.

hopefully yall can help me out thanks

Either flanker or center if your general handling is good. If your handling isn't great I would say flanker without a doubt; main job is tackling and securing/stealing ball at the breakdown. You are fast enough for flanker as is and your weight to height ratio suits the position as well. Possibly a bit on the short side for flanker but that is by international standards and their are great shorter flankers, my favourite being Heinrich Brussouw from South Africa; 1,81m and 106kg. For center I would say you should get a little bit faster perhaps and have good handling.

Either flanker or center if your general handling is good. If your handling isn't great I would say flanker without a doubt; main job is tackling and securing/stealing ball at the breakdown. You are fast enough for flanker as is and your weight to height ratio suits the position as well. Possibly a bit on the short side for flanker but that is by international standards and their are great shorter flankers, my favourite being Heinrich Brussouw from South Africa; 1,81m and 106kg. For center I would say you should get a little bit faster perhaps and have good handling.

I'd have to agree that he sounds like a 6, 7 or 13. Given his temperment, it would be a waste to put him anywhere else...physicality would be underutilized at 11 or 14 and likely doesn't have the skill set to play 9, 10, 12 or 15.

Last edited:
midfield should be able to step though (are american football boots the same as rugby boots? would some proper rugby boots help with the step) so in the loosies sounds good, how tall is danial Braid? not that tall and does pretty good

midfield should be able to step though (are american football boots the same as rugby boots? would some proper rugby boots help with the step) so in the loosies sounds good, how tall is danial Braid? not that tall and does pretty good

American football boots have a stud at the very front which is not allowed in rugby. All football(soccer) boots are allowed except for those with plastic "blades". Rugby specific boots are usually only necessary for front/ second rowers due to the traction and foot protection required while scrummaging.

persanally i dont know anything about rugby boots i know american football normally consist of a plastic spike with a flat bottom on the front just under the big toe 2 spikes on the left and right side of the ball of your foot and 3 spike surrounding the heel. what do the blind and open side flankers do i understand the frist a ruck in the srum they flank and provide defence and the steal/gather/clean up the ball is that it? and what is the job of a center

Playing at flanker is a great way to get a feel for the game. Then eventually move into the backline.

Some great advice on here. You definitely sound like a centre or back row (the back row includes two flankers and a number 8). Blindside flanker would be a good position for you as it involves a lot of smashing people. Openside flanker is similar, but there's a greater emphasis on hitting the ruck area first. Check out some other websites such as www.rfu.com which regularly has coaching tips. Also if you have an iPhone/ipad/iPod touch, search for an app in the app store called 'RuckingBall' and check their website out here: http://www.ruckingball.com/ They've got loads of great coaching tips and advice from players of both rugby codes, retired and still playing.

Latest posts