• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Lions Anthem

Ed Russel Ponte

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
London Wasps
It’s a great shame that in the moments before kick-off on Saturday we won’t hear a Lions anthem to fire up the players and the crowd. Just Advance Australia Fair, and then down to business. Talk about ceding emotional edge.

I know that we tried to fix this in 2005, but the adopted anthem was unpopular with the players and fans â€" and quickly scrapped. But I don’t think we should give up. And especially when the home unions already have a massively popular anthem that is perfect for Lions tours.

This is Ireland’s Call, the brilliant anthem written by Phil Coulter in 1995 for the Irish Rugby Football Union, celebrating players from the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland coming together as the all-Ireland Rugby Union team.

The rhythm, power and sentiment of Ireland’s Call is perfect for the unique, quadrennial magic of a Lions tour. We know and love the song already; the words barely need to be changed; fans and players could pick up a Lions’ Call edit in minutes.

But Ireland’s Call is Ireland’s anthem and therefore not suitable for a Lions tour. You wouldn’t adapt Flower of Scotland or God Save the Queen would you?

I can understand this view. But I don’t agree with it. If the Lions ran out to Lions’ Call it would sound a bit Irish. But the shirt looks a bit Welsh and we all love that. And the Lion icon is a bit English, isn’t it, and that’s not bad either.

For my money (and I’m English) an Irish-accented Lions anthem would be no bad thing. Particularly given the huge contribution of Irish players to Lions history and the fact it wasn’t until 2001 that the team rightly became the British & Irish Lions.

So, anyway, here’s what a Lions’ Call might sound like (much better in my book than standing there in silence…)

Come the day and come the hour
Come the power and the glory
We have come to answer
The Lions' Call
From the far corners of Britain and Ireland

Britain and Ireland
Together standing tall
Shoulder to shoulder
We answer the Lions’ Call

From the glens of Scotland
and the dales of England
From the mighty Welsh valleys
and green fields of Ireland

Britain and Ireland
Together standing tall
Shoulder to shoulder

It's a great shame that in the moments before kick-off on Saturday we won't hear a Lions anthem to fire up the players and the crowd. Just Advance Australia Fair, and then down to business. Talk about ceding emotional edge.

I know that we tried to fix this in 2005, but the adopted anthem was unpopular with the players and fans – and quickly scrapped. But I don't think we should give up. And especially when the home unions already have a massively popular anthem that is perfect for Lions tours.

This is Ireland's Call, the brilliant anthem written by Phil Coulter in 1995 for the Irish Rugby Football Union, celebrating players from the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland coming together as the all-Ireland Rugby Union team.

The rhythm, power and sentiment of Ireland's Call is perfect for the unique, quadrennial magic of a Lions tour. We know and love the song already; the words barely need to be changed; fans and players could pick up a Lions' Call edit in minutes.

But Ireland's Call is Ireland's anthem and therefore not suitable for a Lions tour. You wouldn't adapt Flower of Scotland or God Save the Queen would you?

I can understand this view. But I don't agree with it. If the Lions ran out to Lions' Call it would sound a bit Irish. But the shirt looks a bit Welsh and we all love that. And the Lion icon is a bit English, isn't it, and that's not bad either.

For my money (and I'm English) an Irish-accented Lions anthem would be no bad thing. Particularly given the huge contribution of Irish players to Lions history and the fact it wasn't until 2001 that the team rightly became the British & Irish Lions.

So, anyway, here's what a Lions' Call might sound like (much better in my book than standing there in silence…)

We have come to answer
The Lions' Call

Britain and Ireland
Together standing tall
Shoulder to shoulder
We answer the Lions' Call

From the glens of Scotland
and the dales of England
From the mighty Welsh valleys
and green fields of Ireland

Britain and Ireland
Together standing tall
Shoulder to shoulder
We answer the Lions' Call

The Lions don't need an anthem. To me its as simple as that. Why need one, everyone knows what the Lions are about and who we are. We've gone this long without one and the one we used in 2005 was awful

Lol the Lions can keep it! And make sure they play the jukebox version of it for extra tackiness.

I'd like to apologize to Yoe91. This is the worst thing I've ever read.

Thanks folks - I see this ain't flying!

Here's to a great test series. Like last 2 Oz tours I'm sure it's going to be tight. Hope it's settled by individual or team brilliance rather than anyone's mistakes.

Thanks folks - I see this ain't flying!

Here's to a great test series. Like last 2 Oz tours I'm sure it's going to be tight. Hope it's settled by individual or team brilliance rather than anyone's mistakes.
Hah, no worries, could you really expect us all to agree on something? Yeah looking forward to the series, should be good. Welcome to the forum by the way!

I really like the "Ireland's call", is one of the best rugby's musics with "Flower of Scotland".

We have come to answer
The Lions' Call

Britain and Ireland
Together standing tall
Shoulder to shoulder

This verse is very long, so sorry friend! :D

Regards

Last edited: