• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New member, new to rugby, new broken bone x)

D

dk615

I joined my high school team thursday and went to practice halfway through the season since they had some players leave the team, went to the game friday, went to practice today and broke my arm halfway through it.

I guess its either bad luck, or just a warm welcome to rugby. Anyone have an experience like this before? lol.

If you’re wondering, i got tackled and i was going down and tried to catch myself from falling for some reason, guess its just a natural reflex. same way i broke my arm skateboarding (same part of arm, same way i fell.) Pretty much blows. it happened halfway through practice, but i finished it up and then went to the ER afterwards.

We're number one in the state right now (Tennessee, couldn't be too hard to accomplish, lol) and our record so far is 5-0-1 and ranked up to the highest division after we beat our rival friday 13-10.

don't let a broken arm stop you from making a comeback - injuries involving fractures are actually pretty rare among most players...

just don't worry about hitting the deck in rugby whether you're being tackled or making a tackle - usually you're body will take care of itself by landing on its side or on your back if you're running and going into contact the right way...read up on the proper way to engage in contact situations - basically a low body position - and don't try to catch yourself again!

good luck and you'll be back soon.

don't let a broken arm stop you from making a comeback - injuries involving fractures are actually pretty rare among most players...

just don't worry about hitting the deck in rugby whether you're being tackled or making a tackle - usually you're body will take care of itself by landing on its side or on your back if you're running and going into contact the right way...read up on the proper way to engage in contact situations - basically a low body position - and don't try to catch yourself again!

good luck and you'll be back soon.
[/b]

I appreciate it. I didn't even know i was about to get hit, the coach was walking us through something and I guess the guy that hit me thought it was full speed, who knows, lol. I know i definately won't be able to play for a while, but as soon as it heals i'll be right back at it. I'm still going to go to the practices and of course the games, just won't be able to participate =(
I'm 15 years old, 6'1", and 255 lbs. so i definately fell pretty hard, lol.

Even without an accurate description, I know exactly what you mean. I had the same thing when I was skiing, first on a misjudged jump, the second time after I caught a rock at an unfortunate place. Both times I ended up catching my fall with my left arm, which caused me to fracture my wrist on the second time.

Like Goranski said, fractures are pretty rare injuries, it was probably just a stroke of bad luck there. The only time I ever got "injured" in a tackle was when I had to protect the ball, so I couldn't catch my fall (to the side) properly. He tackled me pretty high, so I slapped my temple against the hard ground, coming from 6'5" in the air. Meh :s

Body position is important, also try to run or power through tackles at speed. I've personally found your most likely to be hit big when you're either a. not at full speed or b. being tackled from the side or rear.

There's something about the number 2 for me that f***s me over.
My 2nd training session with my club and one of my boys breaks my nose.
Then my in the second minute of the second game for my uni a player again broke my nose. The ref knelt down to me and said, "Bloody hell, boy, we're only 2 minutes into the game!"
You have to laugh i guess. :lol:

There's something about the number 2 for me that f***s me over.
My 2nd training session with my club and one of my boys breaks my nose.
Then my in the second minute of the second game for my uni a player again broke my nose. The ref knelt down to me and said, "Bloody hell, boy, we're only 2 minutes into the game!"
You have to laugh i guess. :lol:
[/b]

thats gotta suck, haha.

when i was in the hospital last night, one of the doctors asked me how long i've been playing rugby, and i told him about 4 days, and he just looked down and busted out laughing. Pretty sweet. lol.

Mate, just remember to next time not to try to break your fall by sticking your arm out.

Stephen Larkham, one of the best fly-halfs and players of the professional era, has had recurring wrist, arm and shoulder problems throughout his career. Guess how they started and re-occurred. The same way it happened to you, mate :).

Look at what his arms are like now:
stephen_larkham(2).jpg

steven-larkham.jpg

Watch out for yourself buddy, keep reminding yourself to not stick your arm out!

Mate, just remember to next time not to try to break your fall by sticking your arm out.

Stephen Larkham, one of the best fly-halfs and players of the professional era, has had recurring wrist, arm and shoulder problems throughout his career. Guess how they started and re-occurred. The same way it happened to you, mate :).

Look at what his arms are like now:
stephen_larkham(2).jpg

steven-larkham.jpg

Watch out for yourself buddy, keep reminding yourself to not stick your arm out!
[/b]

Doesn't look good, lol. I've broken it twice, the same way both times, I guess it's just a painful lesson I have to learn, lol. I appreciate the help.

i appreciate it, and i went to practice today and learned a lot, luckily today wasnt a very physical practice. Our team ranked up to the highest division last week and right now we're number one in the state and entering playoffs, so i hope it gets better very soon. Should be fun, lol.

Latest posts