• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Player

T

tyrannosaurus

Hi there,
i'm new to rugby and don't know which position could be good for me.
Well, i weight 185lbs/83kg standing at 6ft3/188cm. Bodyfat around 10 percent, so im not the chubby guy :)
I've got a decent speed (100m in 12,1 seconds) and im pretty good at tackling (says my coach). Passing is average and kicking... never tried...
i hope my stats don't make me completely useless as a rugbyplayer :p

Ps: i'm from switzerland so keep in mind that the niveau of rugby isn't very high over here

Hi there,
Well, i weight 185lbs/83kg standing at 6ft3/188cm. Bodyfat around 10 percent, so im not the chubby guy :)
I've got a decent speed (100m in 12,1 seconds) and im pretty good at tackling (says my coach). Passing is average and kicking... never tried...

Ps: i'm from switzerland so keep in mind that the niveau of rugby isn't very high over here [/b]

I'd suggest you play as a loose forward, especially number 8. I would normally suggest playing lock with your height and weight but you're pace would be used more effectively as a loose forward. Try being the jumper in the line outs at the next practice as well.

P.S. Loose forwards are always in the mix, so stamina and aggressiveness would help.

<div class='quotemain'> Hi there,

Ps: i'm from switzerland so keep in mind that the niveau of rugby isn't very high over here [/b]

I'd suggest you play as a loose forward, especially number 8. I would normally suggest playing lock with your height and weight but you're pace would be used more effectively as a loose forward. Try being the jumper in the line outs at the next practice as well.

P.S. Loose forwards are always in the mix, so stamina and aggressiveness would help.
[/b][/quote]

Similarly, if you were a bit shorter I would have suggested flanker, but given your height, no8 sounds perfect. Whats your acceleration like if you don't mind me asking. Also, where in Switzerland?

yeah, no. 8 is a good fit...work on your skills - catching, passing, scooping the ball up and running with it which 8s do...

if you ever bulk up significantly - lock might be an option in the future.

Thank you all for the fast replies, i'm very happy with your suggestions, cause flanker and no8 have been my favourite positions :D

@Nick_w: well, my acceleration is average, i know worse and better ones. I'm from Lucerne, training with the RCLucerne.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> Hi there,

[/b][/quote]
Also, where in Switzerland?
[/b][/quote]

Are you daft or something?

Hi Guys
I started to train as Inside Center (our team lacks fast players :p).
Does this position fit my stats? Additionally, what are the most important technical requirements of this position?

Hi Guys
Does this position fit my stats? Additionally, what are the most important technical requirements of this position?
[/b]
I've only just read this thread now and before I read any of the other suggestions I would have told you to run at centre, so. :cheers: Well, I play inside centre too and you need good basic skills obviously, a strong tackler, an eye for a gap in the defensive line and I also suggest you work on your kicking, as it's becoming increasingly important with many teams using 12 as a second playmaker. Oh and a lot of work on passing with your weaker arm. I find I have to step into the fly-half position quite a lot in games so accurate passing in either direction is a must. Hope that helps.

Accurate passing issn't a pre-requisite for a fly-half... Some people call Wilkinson the best 10 in the world when he couldn't hit a barn door!

Accurate passing issn't a pre-requisite for a fly-half... Some people call Wilkinson the best 10 in the world when he couldn't hit a barn door!
[/b]
I find it handy. :p
PS: Those people are delusional bordering on senile.

<div class='quotemain'>
Hi Guys
[/b]
I've only just read this thread now and before I read any of the other suggestions I would have told you to run at centre, so. :cheers: Well, I play inside centre too and you need good basic skills obviously, a strong tackler, an eye for a gap in the defensive line and I also suggest you work on your kicking, as it's becoming increasingly important with many teams using 12 as a second playmaker. Oh and a lot of work on passing with your weaker arm. I find I have to step into the fly-half position quite a lot in games so accurate passing in either direction is a must. Hope that helps.
[/b][/quote]

I was hoping to jump in on this. I'm also new to the sport, but I'm much smaller than the original poster (almost 5'11, 170 lbs, not much fat on me though). I'm fast, too, but not winger-fast (I don't think, but we'll see once the season starts). What I'd love to play is outside center, and I've read that they are generally the smaller and faster of the two centers--is this true, and do folks think this might be at least a possible position for me, given my size? I'd really appreciate any advice!

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
Hi Guys
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

I was hoping to jump in on this. I'm also new to the sport, but I'm much smaller than the original poster (almost 5'11, 170 lbs, not much fat on me though). I'm fast, too, but not winger-fast (I don't think, but we'll see once the season starts). What I'd love to play is outside center, and I've read that they are generally the smaller and faster of the two centers--is this true, and do folks think this might be at least a possible position for me, given my size? I'd really appreciate any advice!
[/b][/quote]
Judging by your size outside would be definitely more of an option than inside and yes they are generally the quicker of the pair. Scrum half could also be a position for you, maybe you could give that a go?

Judging by your size outside would be definitely more of an option than inside and yes they are generally the quicker of the pair. Scrum half could also be a position for you, maybe you could give that a go?
[/b]
Someone should inform Giteau and Mortlock of this fact. :p

[/b]

Thanks for the advice, and I'm glad that my dream position wouldn't be totally unreasonable given my size. I hadn't really considered scrum half, only because I think I might be better at sprinting and making quick runs than actually being responsible for directing a good amount of the play on my own. At least, that's my idea of what a scrum half does. Perhaps someone can set me straight!

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

Thanks for the advice, and I'm glad that my dream position wouldn't be totally unreasonable given my size. I hadn't really considered scrum half, only because I think I might be better at sprinting and making quick runs than actually being responsible for directing a good amount of the play on my own. At least, that's my idea of what a scrum half does. Perhaps someone can set me straight!
[/b][/quote]

6'3 is a bit big for a scrum half anyway. play no. 8, inside centre, or since you're quick and big, wing might do the trick.

6'3 is a bit big for a scrum half anyway. play no. 8, inside centre, or since you're quick and big, wing might do the trick.
[/b]

Thanks for the help! But actually, the original poster is the big guy--I'm a smaller guy (5'11, 170 lbs) who jumped in a little later in the discussion, wondering if he could play outside center. :)

[/b]
Have you SEEN Mike Phillips??! :p ;)

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

Thanks for the help! But actually, the original poster is the big guy--I'm a smaller guy (5'11, 170 lbs) who jumped in a little later in the discussion, wondering if he could play outside center. :)
[/b][/quote]

oh, 5'11 is perfect for a scrum half. go for it.

Hi there,

Ps: i'm from switzerland so keep in mind that the niveau of rugby isn't very high over here
[/b]
try playing on the wing, time like that on the 100 is pretty quick

Latest posts