• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New race quotas for SA rugby

Bull

Bench Player
Club or Nation
Bulls
Last edited by a moderator:
Who said racism died with Apartheid? This is just as ridiculous. I am happy this is only restricted to Vodacom Cup rugby for now, but in a few years, this will be introduced to Currie Cup and Super Rugby.

I never see any quota to get more white players into soccer, though.

Jeezz. That's mental. The idea of a coach having to think - 'well this is our best 22 - but unfortunately him, him and him aren't black enough so I guess we have to leave them out'. This mentality seems outragious considering its the minorities they are limiting.

That's the worst thing of all. This is wrong on so many levels.

1. The minority is being discriminated, on skin color. Nothing else.
2. The minority (whites) are the biggest group to play this sport. Rugby is just not as popular with the black community as soccer
3. We don't see a similar quota system in cricket or soccer in South Africa to create "equal chances"

This is the most racist thing in South Africa since BEE (but let's not get into that now).

That's the worst thing of all. This is wrong on so many levels.

1. The minority is being discriminated, on skin color. Nothing else.
2. The minority (whites) are the biggest group to play this sport. Rugby is just not as popular with the black community as soccer
3. We don't see a similar quota system in cricket or soccer in South Africa to create "equal chances"

This is the most racist thing in South Africa since BEE (but let's not get into that now).

It's not racism. the Black guy is winning then...

Well at least that's how our politicians are seeing it.

On a completely different note, this is to all my Saffa white-members (you too zeke). This happened to me last week Wednesday: A black guy who I have never met in my life before, walks into my office, puts his finger in my face and yells at me :"You Stupid Racist Mother****er!!" ... Now I ask you, what would you have done?

Not sure how I would respond. Just so you know, this also happens in Holland. Only here, it's the Muslims who always hide behind the racism/discrimination excuse while at the same time judging others purely based on their skin color/religion.

Scotland will no doubt be sensing an opportunity here to pick up some disgruntled player being left out and 3 year residency them. Ireland may look for a prop. And there will be more Brad Barritt's, Mouritz Botha's and Hendre Fourie's for England then.

Kevin Pietersen I believe was lost to SA cricket after being left out from his domestic team under these circumstances by the way. This just increases the amount of talent SA lose.

Not sure how I would respond. Just so you know, this also happens in Holland. Only here, it's the Muslims who always hide behind the racism/discrimination excuse while at the same time judging others purely based on their skin color/religion.

Well I told him to **** off out of my office, he then refused. So I told him that if he won't leave, then I will. So I locked him in my office, and went on a 2-hour lunch... then came back, unlocked the door, and then he left all swearing and angry... To this day I haven't got the faintest idea why he came to see me, or why he went on this tirade...

On a completely different note, this is to all my Saffa white-members (you too zeke). This happened to me last week Wednesday: A black guy who I have never met in my life before, walks into my office, puts his finger in my face and yells at me :"You Stupid Racist Mother****er!!" ... Now I ask you, what would you have done?

I would have floored him. You know there is something seriously wrong with a country when the majority has to implement rules and laws to "protect" them against the minority. False sense of accomplishment!

TRF_E, yes unfortunately there seems to be a huge problem with muslims in Europe at the moment. I reckon it will reach boiling point at some stage.

THey day of me leaving SA is getting closer, luckily I have no dependents.

What is the situation with black people playing rugby in South Africa. Is it still the whites play rugby and the blacks play football, similar to how it is portrayed in Invictus?

wow I cannot believe this surly at some point this will reach an unacceptable level (which this would be in most cases IMO) and somebody will have to stand up and say something about how stupid this is. Also I think I was one of the black players picked ahead of somebody else I would be offended and disappointed.

wow I cannot believe this surly at some point this will reach an unacceptable level (which this would be in most cases IMO) and somebody will have to stand up and say something about how stupid this is. Also I think I was one of the black players picked ahead of somebody else I would be offended and disappointed.

Don't you think we do??

The Majority however don't care, as they all see themselves as disadvantaged. Even if they weren't.

My opinion on this matter is that at some stage it will die out. and that point might be much closer than many anticipate. I was born at the end of the Apartheid-era, so you will still get many people playing that stupid card. but at some stage, everyone will say, enough is enough...

What is the situation with black people playing rugby in South Africa. Is it still the whites play rugby and the blacks play football, similar to how it is portrayed in Invictus?

There are more whites playing rugby, English and Afrikaans and to a degree coloureds. Blacks are just more interested in soccer and a lot of them don't have the physical attributes that say NFL players have. To give you an idea I was in a small school, 900 kids of which half were black in my final year of school we were 20 white boys in my whole grade. There was only 1 black kid that played prop for the first team and a colored that was reserve wing. They just didn't want to play the game. Each year we would play 2 black clubs, that came from huge townships and we would annihilate them each year by 40-50 points. Imagine what a school like Affies would do to them. If someone doesn't want to do something, why force them?

To a large extent, yes but gradual change has happened already and will continue to do so naturally for those that are interested. If only the politicians could stop grandstanding. You do get some of the black public figures who have publicly stated that no Boer will ever play for Bafana Bafana though and that is a wall that needs to be knocked down.

Don't you think we do??

The Majority however don't care, as they all see themselves as disadvantaged. Even if they weren't.

My opinion on this matter is that at some stage it will die out. and that point might be much closer than many anticipate. I was born at the end of the Apartheid-era, so you will still get many people playing that stupid card. but at some stage, everyone will say, enough is enough...

I think you give the majority too much credit.

I think the white to black ratio regarding active players in rugby is like 85-15. Of that 15%, they now expect to make up 33% of the squad and starting line-up. How is that fair?

LOL, I told a mate the other day I will put up with a lot of ****. But take my rugby away and I will respond. I can take (and have) losing out on a job or promotion because of my skin color but not getting a fair shot at a rugby team? No.

My thought is this, I have understood that in South Africa black people are poor and white people concentrated money, whites have better economic income, have more access to edudación, etc.. This is correct?. This is what I read, I never lived in South Africa.

Well, rugby is a very expensive sport. The physical preparation is serious, a player who aspires to play at high level can not weigh less than 80 kg, (If the player has a height of 1.70 m), if the player measures 1.80 m or more then athletic requirements are higher, rising iran. A center can not weigh less than 95 kg, ideally weighing more than 100 kg as Tuilagi, Ma'a Nonu and Sonny Bill Williams, but if is very good can weigh less than 100 kg as my idol Conrad Smith or JJ Engelbrecht .

A flanker can't weigh less than 100 kg, ideally weighing about 110 kg, but should not be fat, 110 kg of pure muscle mass. A lock on average measures over 2 meters and weighs about 120 kg, we're talking very demanding athletic requirements: Eating a special diet, consuming sports supplements like protein shakes, creatine and other expensive supplements, plus a hard workout almost as hard as Superman.

To all this must be added the risk of injury, rugby is the sport with the highest number of injuries to their players, even over american football (they use pads). So this makes the rugby is a sport very expensive, more training, more expensive diet and increased risk of injury harder than football.

By contrast, football is a sport very cheap. A person weighing 60 kg can play that sport, in fact the best football players are very light, such Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo. And injuries are less frequent and simpler. This makes poor people to play football and it costs more to play rugby.

Also, rugby is a tough sport, not everyone can withstand the blows of the sport, and if you have no economic support to train alongside the best players and have no money to cover the injuries, then just for you is much easier to play football rather than rugby.

South Africans what do you think about my thoughts? Am I right or am I wrong?

Regards

Last edited:

Latest posts