• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Rankings.

J

Juggernaut

Argentina's win last weekend has seen them jumped up in the IRB Rankings leap-frogging the Froggies, English & the Irish into 4th place.

Congratulations Argentina. :bravo:

1(1): New Zealand 93.38
2(2): Australia 87.03
3(4): South Africa 85.40
4(6): Argentina 84.82
5(3): France 83.13
6(5): Ireland 81.12
7(7): England 78.89
8(8): Wales 77.53
9(9): Italy 75.37
10(10): Samoa 74.97
11(11): Scotland 74.95
12(12): Fiji 70.52
13(13): Canada 68.97
14(14): Tonga 67.52
15(15): USA 67.20
16(16): Romania 66.79

Is it true that world cup games have a stronger weighting in terms of the world ranking changes?

Edit: Decided to stop being lazy and check.

www.irb.com World Ranking sections states "Points exchanges are doubled during the World Cup Finals to recognise the unique importance of this event"

So to answer myself. Yes Scuuba, it does have a stronger weighting.

Thanks Scuuba

That's nice (first time at that heights) but we must beat Ireland or we will go back again (we were already higher in the ranking than England). The coming rankings could be very unstable ...

i think Argentina only overtook ireland and France. They were already ahead of England.

i think Argentina only overtook ireland and France. They were already ahead of England. [/b]
Your right but it doesnt matter really. They are deservedly up to 4th in the rankings. I think the Boks also moved above the french as well.

It's basically weighted so that the winners will end up on top of the rankings.

Haha, not when you're 7th....

Cheap jokes man, sorry.

But seriously, that a fairly accurate reflection of the strength of the teams at the moment no?

It does seem to be quite a good formula that they use for the rankings.

Now, as Allez Wasps may have been aluding to, if they were actually worth something (like world cup pool seedings) then people might take test match rugby outside of worldcup years a little more seriously.

I think the Springboks are going to make an amazing World Cup and will end up a little higer in the ranking. Welldone, Pumas, getting to the number 4!

Well done the Argies etc, but the rankings mean nothing.
[/b]

The ranking may not "mean" anything, but I think they are a pretty good indicator of which teams are playing the best. The first 18 teams are all in the WC and the others are in the top 24, and the teams above Namibia and Portugal all lost qualifiers right at the end to teams in the WC.

And congrats to Argentina so far.

They are doing just awesome and there's huge talks about the Pumas. Good find Scubba in your first post, I didn't know anything like that existed.

Haha, not when you're 7th....

Cheap jokes man, sorry.

But seriously, that a fairly accurate reflection of the strength of the teams at the moment no?

It does seem to be quite a good formula that they use for the rankings.

Now, as Allez Wasps may have been aluding to, if they were actually worth something (like world cup pool seedings) then people might take test match rugby outside of worldcup years a little more seriously.
[/b]

:p The cheap jokes are sometimes the best.

But the fact is that Argentina are not better than some of the teams below them. They beat France yes, but France stand more chance of lifting the cup.

But the fact is that Argentina are not better than some of the teams below them. They beat France yes, but France stand more chance of lifting the cup.[/b]

Clearly better than England right now I would say :bana: I consider french team better than our but the head to head must be taken into account and that says that we have beaten them in five of the last six matches.

1(1): New Zealand 93.38
2(2): Australia 87.03

You can basically park a truck between that ... :cheers:

You probably can but luckily N.Z are big fat chokers and wil fall at the mighty feet of the BOKS!!!!!!! :p :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: