New Rule: Penalty try conceders must be sent off

Discussion in 'General Rugby Union' started by -JJ-, Jan 14, 2005.

1. -JJ-

-JJ- Guest

Watching World of Rugby this morning, apparently a new law has been passed where the person who commits the foul that leads to a penalty try must be sin binned or sent off.

Seems stupid to me. What happens if it comes from a scrum penalty like quite a few penalty tries are awarded from?

2. Forum Ad Advertisement

3. Verrrrrrry pointless.

And absurd, the more I think about it.

So the non-offending team get the 5 points, easy conversion, AND the opposition down to 14 men?

Why not go hog wild and have the offending team where tutu's while you're at it?

4. I heard that, but referees will now give less penalty tries becasue they don't want to be forced to get rid of the offender every time if it's not worth it. Another pointless bit of legislation to add to the list...........

5. Serge

Serge Guest

Generally when a penalty try is given a professional foul is commited. Ive always thought that a penalty try should result in a yellow card.

6. I think its stupid and just like JJ said what if its a scrum are you going to send the forwards off [​IMG]

7. MarkHK

MarkHK Guest

It says on the IRB website that the law has since then been altered. It now underlines the fact that the foul must be intentional:

"Therefore, if a penalty try is awarded as the result of a player intentionally offending, then the player must be either be cautioned and temporarily suspended or sent off. "

8. Serge

Serge Guest

then whats the difference from what it used to be?

And for the scrum it should be the main instagator who collapsed it or if its not obvious then one of the props. Or the person who came through offside and dived on the ball before out. Or the person who fly kicked the ball out of the scrum from an offside position. Wouldnt be that hard

9. -JJ-

-JJ- Guest

It would be very hard to penalise one person who collapsed the scrum.

That's ridiculous. If it's not obvious who did it then no further action should be taken.

10. Serge

Serge Guest

Well then make it when someone cant be identified (singled out), then no one goes or captain goes either or. Itll lower continual infringing which you guys are always moaning about england doing, but yet you think things to prevent it are silly. Penalty tries always come from deliberate infringements so i dont see what the big issue is with binning someone with it

11. -JJ-

-JJ- Guest

No one should go off if no single person can be identified.

12. Isn't 5 points (inevitably 7) punishment enough?

I would think, hell, let them keep collapsing the scrum, we're getting points.

13. neh

neh Guest

**** they mite aswell just have sex on the beach

14. Serge

Serge Guest

How is that a punishment when the try would have been scored anyway?

15. YOU DON'T KNOW THAT.

I've seen plebians knock the ball on in the tryzone.

I've seen freaks run past the dead ball line.

I've seen charismatic junkies get held up in the tryzone.

16. Serge

Serge Guest

A penalty try is only to be awarded if you have no doubt in your mind that it would have been scored had there been no infrigement...

17. Dude, I understand that. But, as we all know, there is no way to predict what could/ or would happen. It's implied. But you never know for certain -- that's all I'm saying.

Enjoyed this thread? Register to post your reply - click here!