• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New starter

W

whiter30

After all of these years of watching the game Ive decided to put some boots on and give it a whirl. Ive spent the last 5 months loosing the beer belly to get down to 13 1/2 stone and also get fit.
So has anyone got on any usefull tips? Not played any form of competitive Rugby only had some knock about experience many many moons ago when I was 18 (now 37).
My fittness is what I would say is average i.e. can do about 6-7 miles in an hour or 1.5miles in about 10mins 30; upper body is getting there i.e. bench 40kg and curl 15kg (free weights). To that end what would be the best suited position given the above stats and me being 5'10.
any usefull comments would be greatly appreciated.

Well I suppose it depends on the size of the guys in the team that you're going to be playing for :)

What are your strenghts and weakenesses?

If you had a good pass on you, I suppose you good be a well built scrum half?

Or how about hooker?

I started training after a long time out of rugby, the problem i feel is that you can not just jump into a position, myself i used to play Fullback but i think my body and abilities have changed a lot since so i would not join a team and tell them i played full back, i would just find a club that is advertising for new members of any level and just train for them for a while, in the end you may just fall into a position or someone in the club will give you one.
Another good idea would be to start of with some Touch rugby, it is getting bigger these days and a search on google may bring up a team.
Back on another hiatus now due to other commitments clashing with training but occasionally take a ball out jogging with me throwing it up while running, practicing grubbers etc, then just stop off at local park and practice kicking and kicking and chasing and catching high balls etc.

you could try flanker, its a good role to develop skill and isnt too physically demanding

you could try flanker, its a good role to develop skill and isnt too physically demanding [/b]
Saying flanker isn't too physically demanding is like saying Gavin Henson has self esteem issues.

Judging your physique, you are pretty much underweight for the pack. You say you were losing the beer belly, so I'm assuming you haven't got a very low fat percentage. Try to lose as much fat as you can (cardio, diet), and add a few kilograms of muscle tissue, and you're can join the awesomeness club that is the forwards :p

Your fitness levels are pretty good, it'll develop as you start training/playing etc. I guess you could also go for a place amongst the backs, but you'll have to develop your passing skills, and backs are just...less cool than forwards :p Like the others said, Hooker and Flanker seem good bets!

Latest posts