• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New to rugby, advice and clarification please?

CrimsonClover

Academy Player
Country Flag
United States
Hullo all! I've been trolling the forum for a while so I figured it was the best place to get some help! I've been "playing" rugby for a while, just goofing off with friends but I've been asked to join the women's rugby team at my college! Now I figure I should probably get some actual rugby boots! Here's where the dilemma comes in. I'm going to play fullback but I'm so confused on which boots to get! Does anyone have any suggestions? Also I've been reading up as much as I can and I'm a little confused on what kind in general are best for a fullback. I read one place that 6 studs are best and they should be removable but then others suggest moulded and that it doesn't matter the number as long as there's no toe stud. Does the number of studs and whether or not they're removable really make a difference? I live in northern Georgia so I think soft ground are the ones I need but I'm just so confused as to the rest! If someone would please clear some of this up for me I'd really appreciate it! Thank you!!!

Aa a rule of thumb, soft soil, metal studs (SG boots). Dry soil, moulded plastic studs (FG boots). Any boots is fine to be used.

Do know that SG boots need to have IRB-approved studs (check google for more info). The studs have a specific shape and doesnt have any sharp edges; pretty much just rounded studs.

Tbh any metal stud like the football ones are ok but if the ref checks your boots and deemed yours to be dangerous, he/she will ask you to change your boots or you won't be allowed to play. Best to use the IRB-approved ones. But not to worry about removables, most can be replaced.

FG boots are just fine actually but could become a problem if the field is too muddy. You won't get much traction and are bound to slip when running.

I advise you to avoid buying Nike brands because most of the boots are football boots have a stud at the toe area. They also have quite pointed metal stud for the SG boots.

One particular model I'm not too keen on is the Nike Mercurial. It has a really sharp stud at the front which has caused some really injury in the past. Search up "Wayne Rooney leg gash injury". This was caused by a player wearing that boot.

If you want good rugby boots, you can try adidas. They've made several rugby-specific boots but their football counterparts can be used..

All in all, you dont have to buy the highest quality boot, just buy according to your budget and are safe to be used. Hope I gave what you need and good luck on your upcoming matches.

this ^^

although i've always had puma and loved them adidas would be widely available and make proper rugby boots.

I would go for a six stud removable for as it gives the ability to change the studs depending on the ground, i use to have 8 studs (played in the front row) but 2 or three different sets of studs, 18mm metal for the bogged down pitches through to little 7-8mm rubber ones for pre season (summer ) training

Wow you guys are awesome! Thank you so much for breaking everything down. It makes so much more sense now! And a big thank you for letting me know about the Nikes! I had been seriously considering the Vapor IX but I'm definitely not anymore! Sounds like Adidas are the ones for me! :D If you're ever in Georgia we'll play some southern style rugby! Lol! Thank you!!!

I think you must start at winger, if you are new, the fullback position is very hard for rookies.

I think you must start at winger, if you are new, the fullback position is very hard for rookies.

I agree too but seems to me that the coach trust OP enough for it.

Maybe we should focus on giving useful tips qnd such rather than just giving our opinion for OP's sake.

Aa a rule of thumb, soft soil, metal studs (SG boots). Dry soil, moulded plastic studs (FG boots). Any boots is fine to be used.

Do know that SG boots need to have IRB-approved studs (check google for more info). The studs have a specific shape and doesnt have any sharp edges; pretty much just rounded studs.

Tbh any metal stud like the football ones are ok but if the ref checks your boots and deemed yours to be dangerous, he/she will ask you to change your boots or you won't be allowed to play. Best to use the IRB-approved ones. But not to worry about removables, most can be replaced.

FG boots are just fine actually but could become a problem if the field is too muddy. You won't get much traction and are bound to slip when running.

I advise you to avoid buying Nike brands because most of the boots are football boots have a stud at the toe area. They also have quite pointed metal stud for the SG boots.

One particular model I'm not too keen on is the Nike Mercurial. It has a really sharp stud at the front which has caused some really injury in the past. Search up "Wayne Rooney leg gash injury". This was caused by a player wearing that boot.

If you want good rugby boots, you can try adidas. They've made several rugby-specific boots but their football counterparts can be used..

All in all, you dont have to buy the highest quality boot, just buy according to your budget and are safe to be used. Hope I gave what you need and good luck on your upcoming matches.

Good on all accounts apart from the Nike comment. I've never had a better pair of boots than the Nike Tiempos I wear now. As for my advise, invest in a good pair of boots and they will last four or five times longer than cheap ones, always choose a leather upper as the synthetic jobs tear very easily.

Good on all accounts apart from the Nike comment. I've never had a better pair of boots than the Nike Tiempos I wear now. As for my advise, invest in a good pair of boots and they will last four or five times longer than cheap ones, always choose a leather upper as the synthetic jobs tear very easily.

Agree on Nike.

I admit that the Tiempo line is actually great to be used for rugby, but its SG variant can be quite problematic with its football metal studs screw-ins which might not fit the IRB studs (but I believe they are compatible but not sure). Other brands has better SG boots that are more suited for rugby.

Nike boots are designed for football; lacking the safety requirement of rugby and not exactly built for rugby's performance demands. I don't think Nike has ever sponsored a rugby team fully on equipments (correct me if I'm wrong) and doesn't actually produce rugby-specific boots.

Last edited:
Have any of y'all tried out any of the Canterbury boots? I think I've pretty well decided on either Adidas RS7 or the Predators but I was curious if there were opinions on Canterbury. Thank you everyone for helping me decide!

Almost any will do really. If you've got soccer cleats wear those and see how they do. Most backs I know don't bother looking for rugby specific boots.

On brand, yes Adidas will be the easiest to find, but I f*cking hated mine. I've got a pair of Mizuno's that are way better. Then again I'm a forward, maybe adidas back's boots are better.

Have any of y'all tried out any of the Canterbury boots? I think I've pretty well decided on either Adidas RS7 or the Predators but I was curious if there were opinions on Canterbury. Thank you everyone for helping me decide!

My suggestion would be to go for the Adidas Predator. It's the one that can be used in whatever position the coach wants you to play, from Hooker to Fly Half, to Fullback. It's durable and works well on both wet and dry pitches.

In South Africa, it's the most used boot amongst the players, and is one of the prescribed boots for the high schools.

This is probably a really stupid question but if I got 8 stud boots would they work just as well if I took two of them out?

This is probably a really stupid question but if I got 8 stud boots would they work just as well if I took two of them out?
I wouldn't recommend it eventho its fine because the boot will slow you down considerably because 8 stud boots generally have thicker upper sole thus making it heavier. 8 studs are usually built for maximum traction as well as to withstand tear when scrummaging while providing protection; not built for speed or agility which are basic requirements for a back. Some models might be light enough, but you're better off with 6 stud boots.

Taking two studs off could help you perform better, but might create complications since the two holes will be clogged with dirt and make your boot heavier. Moreover, the position of the 8 studs is different than the 6 studs so if you unscrew the wrong ones you might not get much traction at all

If you want to get into rugby seriously and perform well (and still have the budget), buy yourself a 6 stud boot like adidas boots or any suitable boots that you can find.

Last edited:
generally i would say the configuration of the studs wont be the same. its not the same six stud positions plus two, you might find you have very little traction in the forefoot

Latest posts