• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New to Rugby and forum

Swampyseifer

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Hi all!

New guy here, just joined to forum as I'm looking to start playing with my local team.

Bit about me, well my real name is Adam...I'm 30 years old and having just spent the last 2 years getting my life on track and loosing a lot of weight. I want to finally start playing a sport!

I'm heading to my local club next Tuesday to watch a training session to get an idea of what it's all about! I know some basics like not passing forwards but know nothing really about how to play.

Prepare to be humbled by the cardio required. That's probably the biggest practicality that a lot of people underestimate.

Thanks for the reply and thanks for the heads up!

I'm looking forward to getting much fitter, I've done the weight loss and now my focus is to get fitter. I mean, I do gym for an hour twice a week but I'm sure that actually playing a sport is a whole new level!

Thanks for the reply and thanks for the heads up!

I'm looking forward to getting much fitter, I've done the weight loss and now my focus is to get fitter. I mean, I do gym for an hour twice a week but I'm sure that actually playing a sport is a whole new level!

Is that all??

You should be at the gym at least 4 times a week with a minimum time of 45 minutes spent on training. Cardio, along with weight-training, and of course squats and deadlifts must be your main focus points.

Is that all??

You should be at the gym at least 4 times a week with a minimum time of 45 minutes spent on training. Cardio, along with weight-training, and of course squats and deadlifts must be your main focus points.

Depends what level you want to play at and how much of your life you want to give over to training surely?

If, like me, you are only looking to play for fun at a fairly low level, 4 nights at the gym would seem totally unnecessary.

I would just say do as much as you feel you need to to suit your level in terms of strength/fitness. Take part in as many skills drills as you can though. I'd also recommend possibly playing touch during the off season if there are any local sides near you. It will get you used to many of the core handling and movement skills involved in rugby before you have to contend with the contact side of the sport.

Wow, I mean I want to do a sport as a pastime to have fun...a weekly 'kick about' with mates. If that's the kind of time involved then maybe this isn't the sport for me!

This is the sport for everyone!
I agree with Twebby, there's always a level of rugby that will suit your fitness and skills. Generally, small clubs (the ones that have trouble finding 23 players, or even 15, towards the end of the season) are reluctant to accept players with no rugby background whatsoever, so a summer of touch rugby will surely make everything easier.
And most importantly: don't miss out on the after-training beers! That's the most important part of rugby (if you're starting at 30 anyway).

Welcome to the forum, I'd like to hear updates on your "going into rugby".

Well I will still go along next Tuesday, I'm sure the people there can give me a good idea of how 'serious' I will need to be to join in.

I nearly fell at the first hurdle because I was telling a colleague about my plans and they pointed out I wear glasses. You know when you have worn them every day for so long that you even forget you wear them? Still booked in with my opticians to get a trial of contacts!

Don't listen to these muppets. You don't need to go to the gym four times a week or be any fitter than you are now, please don't take this site very seriously.

Honestly, get a pair of boots and go down and join in. They won't play you until you are ready, that means you knowing the rules, your position and being match ready - match ready meaning to take and make hits and running with power, which is very easy to get as long as you get to training. And don't worry about glasses.

Welcome by the way, glad to see a new rugby fan.

^^^^^^
Jesus christ, there's rugby for every level, you really don't need to prepare, just play and see how good you are. In our club there is a hugely obese 50 year old playing at scrum half for the J5's or something. You will be fine.

Wow, I mean I want to do a sport as a pastime to have fun...a weekly 'kick about' with mates. If that's the kind of time involved then maybe this isn't the sport for me!

Don't be put off. If you want to play social rugby then gym work really isn't necessary. Clearly the guys who posted above have entirely misread the situation.

I played a bit of fourths for the college last year (the epitome of a social team) and our recruitment poster was a shirtless fat guy downing a pitcher of beer. We were hardly athletes.

Oh yeah, I wasn't saying you need to start training! Just that it's up there with the most lung busting of sports!

Well I will still go along next Tuesday, I'm sure the people there can give me a good idea of how 'serious' I will need to be to join in.

I nearly fell at the first hurdle because I was telling a colleague about my plans and they pointed out I wear glasses. You know when you have worn them every day for so long that you even forget you wear them? Still booked in with my opticians to get a trial of contacts!

The glasses would be the stumbling block if I wasn't broken and decided to return. I wear specs and refuse point black to wear contacts, hate the idea of having to put my hands anywhere near my eyes. That and I bet I'd forget and leave them in overnight

The glasses would be the stumbling block if I wasn't broken and decided to return. I wear specs and refuse point black to wear contacts, hate the idea of having to put my hands anywhere near my eyes. That and I bet I'd forget and leave them in overnight

Our scrum-half has some of the worst vison I've ever seen (i'm theres pun here somewhere) dosen't wear contacts or those odd looking googles but still manages to hit the 10 perfectly fine, so vison is apparently not needed for rugby.

and welcome swampyseifer, rugby is a sport that has a place for all no need to hit the gym for hours a week if your just looking for a good way to exercise and a great community.

Latest posts