• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

new to rugby

utruck

Academy Player
Hey everyone,

I am trying out rugby for the first time and I am having a hard time choosing my position. I have the ability to run the ball and tackle but the kind of tackling i prefer is open field tackling much like a line backer in football. I would like to run at people and just hit them as hard as I could. I have heard from many people thay playing as a back would be right for me. They said I should be a center. I am not completely sure though. If anyone can just inform me to what position would be right for me, that would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum!

From the sounds of it you'd be best playing 6, 8 or 12/13

All 4 have ball carrying responsibilities, but 6 and 8 are a little more tackle oriented. Although you're right that playing in the backs (at 12/13) would quite possibly suit your tackling interest you would have to get comfortable passing of both hands and becoming a bit more than just a running threat- everyone likes a big ball carrier that can put in some big tackles but unless you're really very good at ball carrying you'll have a tough time getting into a team at centre without a good pass.

Back row players (6, 7 and 8) tend to have the highest tackle counts in a game and do a lot of the hard ball carrying. Although you would have to be more involved in the rucks at 6 and 8 you would have plenty of opportunities to carry and tackle without the distribution responsibilities of a 12 or 13.

Just my two cents.

Just out of interest how tall are you and what do you weigh, also make sure you practice a lot on ball handling skills as the previous poster mentioned all the positions he mentioned will require you to carry a lot of ball and do it well.

Thank you so much! I will look into this further. I am about 6 foot 1 and 170lbs. I understand that i am not bulky like a prop or anyone in the scrum, but i would still love to be involved in contact through out the game.

Personally I think you seem a good size to try out and 6 and after a few weeks you will probably put a few pounds on with playing so much dont worry as you are not that big weight wise just remember to keep your speed.

For someone new to non-schoolboys rugby, backrow is a good option. Front 5, you'll end up breaking your neck and backline you could end up looking like an idiot and losing the game for your team! You can do least damage at blind-side flanker :). We had a couple of Sepos come out to Australia, big boys, clueless, but they tackled like demons!

For someone new to non-schoolboys rugby, backrow is a good option. FRONT ROW, you'll end up breaking your neck and backline you could end up looking like an idiot and losing the game for your team! You can do least damage at blind-side flanker :). We had a couple of Sepos come out to Australia, big boys, clueless, but they tackled like demons!

I've never gotten hurt in the tight 5.... But I've never played front row :lol:

Bit hard to recommend a position over the internet to be honest, your coaches will know best. Sorry lol

I have never got hurt playing hooker, but then some would say as that is because I am too stupid.

Blind side flanker is definitely the position to give a go, and remember just enjoy it!

Latest posts