• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New to rugby

Verdant

Academy Player
Country Flag
Scotland
Club or Nation
Scotland
I want to join a club but never really played before, and I barely understood the rules so I'm watching a lot of games online to get a better sense of whats going on. Apart from 6 nations is there any good tournaments on at the moment I could be watching?

Also, what can I do fitness-wise to prepare? Lots of cardio/squats/bench/deads? Practice kicking the ball? I think I'd suit being a back best, weigh around 180lbs and fast runner.

Final question - I'm 22, is that too late to get into the game? Feel like most people in a club will have been playing & watching rugby since they were kids

It's never too late mate, my advice would be find a local club and get involved, get down to training and get involved in the social side. Whereabouts do you live?

My brother in law strayed playing when h was 39 so it's never to let. Just focus on enjoying your rugby and the fitness will come if you train and play hard.

My brother in law strayed playing when h was 39 so it's never to let. Just focus on enjoying your rugby and the fitness will come if you train and play hard.

Absolutely.

I was talking to a guy last weekend who started when he was 34 - he's still playing now at 57!!!

The best training is what you will do at a local club - gym work has it's place if you're so inclined but there's nothing better than training by actually being on the pitch and learning while you're doing.

Latest posts