• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New to the forum

Jason_1977

Academy Player
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
United States
Hello all! New to the forum, but have enjoyed watching rugby for some years now. My first interest in rugby began as I was waking up in the emergency room laying on a bed in my college lacrosse uniform, while a rugby player from another college was coming to on a bed beside mine. He asked, "you a football player?" I said, nah, I'm a lacrosse goalie." I asked, "you a soccer player?" "He said, nah, I play rugby" We would've shaken hands, but it hurt too much to move. I didn't know too much about rugby, but it had to have been better than soccer, LOL. I checked it out & I was hooked.

I love the NFL, I'm an ardent American Football fan, the NFL to me is like Boxing & Rugby to me is like the UFC fighting tournaments. There's just no comparison. I love the sport, I love watching the game, etc. Unfortunately, our national teams are made up of people scouted from the best colleges & there really isn't all that much of a presence in this country. It's more of a college sport than a national sport. I wish it was more prevalent. I'd trade NASCAR for Rugby any day, LOL!

I did want to ask the Australian camp a question. There is a shirt I've been after. I can't tell if it's a Wallabies or Kangaroos shirt, but if you check out this photo, you'll see what I mean. I am trying to get my hands on this shirt & can't find it for the life of me. Any ideas?

207949_10152099237650570_634650212_n.jpg

Any ideas? It's an adidas shirt. Green roo or wallaby w. no ball in its paws. Small Aussie flag on the back.

Anyhow, thanks for letting me introduce myself, & I look forward to getting deeper into the game & learning more!

Last edited:
Hello all! New to the forum, but have enjoyed watching rugby for some years now. My first interest in rugby began as I was waking up in the emergency room laying on a bed in my college lacrosse uniform, while a rugby player from another college was coming to on a bed beside mine. He asked, "you a football player?" I said, nah, I'm a lacrosse goalie." I asked, "you a soccer player?" "He said, nah, I play rugby" We would've shaken hands, but it hurt too much to move. I didn't know too much about rugby, but it had to have been better than soccer, LOL. I checked it out & I was hooked.

I love the NFL, I'm an ardent American Football fan, the NFL to me is like Boxing & Rugby to me is like the UFC fighting tournaments. There's just no comparison. I love the sport, I love watching the game, etc. Unfortunately, our national teams are made up of people scouted from the best colleges & there really isn't all that much of a presence in this country. It's more of a college sport than a national sport. I wish it was more prevalent. I'd trade NASCAR for Rugby any day, LOL!

I did want to ask the Australian camp a question. There is a shirt I've been after. I can't tell if it's a Wallabies or Kangaroos shirt, but if you check out this photo, you'll see what I mean. I am trying to get my hands on this shirt & can't find it for the life of me. Any ideas?

View attachment 1903

Any ideas? It's an adidas shirt. Green roo or wallaby w. no ball in its paws. Small Aussie flag on the back.

Anyhow, thanks for letting me introduce myself, & I look forward to getting deeper into the game & learning more!
Welcome!

As a fan of both the NFL and Rugby, I see merits in both therefore both are probably my two favourite team sports.

Oh and that NASCAR trade is unfair - you can play rugby as long as you keep NASCAR. :p

Welcome!

As a fan of both the NFL and Rugby, I see merits in both therefore both are probably my two favourite team sports.

Oh and that NASCAR trade is unfair - you can play rugby as long as you keep NASCAR. :p

Yeah, I liken the NFL to boxing. It's a touch cleaner. Classic. Conventional. I liken Rugby to the UFC. Unconventional. Dirty. Nasty even, lol. I love them both for different reasons. If I had a choice though, I'd rather watch a dive for 5 rather than watch play that lasts for seconds, the restarts, lol. As for NASCAR, lol......I'd much rather have that diminish & rugby rise. High speed left turns. Who wants to watch traffic? LOL

Can you imagine if the sport grows in this country though? There is so much potential here w. the NFL, etc. I wish there was some way for the international rugby federation or the international community could help grow the sport here. There's a guy who used to be affiliated w. the Spring Boks is a coach in the US. He's trying to help grow the sport here. It' amateur for now, but I'd love for it to grow.

Yeah, I liken the NFL to boxing. It's a touch cleaner. Classic. Conventional. I liken Rugby to the UFC. Unconventional. Dirty. Nasty even, lol. I love them both for different reasons. If I had a choice though, I'd rather watch a dive for 5 rather than watch play that lasts for seconds, the restarts, lol. As for NASCAR, lol......I'd much rather have that diminish & rugby rise. High speed left turns. Who wants to watch traffic? LOL
Haha that's true regarding NASCAR.

The only thing I despise about the NFL is that there are ads every 10 seconds. Why not jsut broadcast the players/coaches in the huddle and go over stats/whatever and have the commentators just talk?

I understand it's all corporations and sponsorships influencing that though.

Can you imagine if the sport grows in this country though? There is so much potential here w. the NFL, etc. I wish there was some way for the international rugby federation or the international community could help grow the sport here. There's a guy who used to be affiliated w. the Spring Boks is a coach in the US. He's trying to help grow the sport here. It' amateur for now, but I'd love for it to grow.
I think everyone would love if the US got into it.

I'm not sure why they haven't. Maybe start a professional league. It really just takes one or two companies to back this thing and you're set.

Haha that's true regarding NASCAR.

The only thing I despise about the NFL is that there are ads every 10 seconds. Why not jsut broadcast the players/coaches in the huddle and go over stats/whatever and have the commentators just talk?

I understand it's all corporations and sponsorships influencing that though.

I think everyone would love if the US got into it.

I'm not sure why they haven't. Maybe start a professional league. It really just takes one or two companies to back this thing and you're set.

I know it. It's a common college sport, as is lacrosse. We do have professional lacrosse, but it isn't very popular. Unfortunately, Rugby is in the same category as soccer, & cricket. Games the rest of the world plays that we as kids never grew up playing. It's a shame really because these are games that build bridges between international communities. We have our own basketball, baseball, football, & hockey. That's the big 4. Anything after that is a secondary market with a secondary audience with a secondary following. We need the sharks or the spring boks to play here. Like a scrimmage scrummage, lol. It seems like the UK & the southern hemisphere are going to dominate for a good while to come. Nobody even knew that there was ever such a thing as a rugby world cup. You'd be hard pressed to know that the US even participated. (I was just happy to beat Russia, LOL!!!)

I was wearing my "Fly Emirates" blue jersey the other day & someone asked what that meant, lol. I told them it was a Team USA sponsor & they said, ah, you're a soccer fan? *insert "DOH!!! here....*

Soccer & rugby are pinned as the games people play w. striped shirts. That's about all they know here. There's no exposure to the sport at all.

BTW, any idea where I can find that T-shirt I was talking about? the one in the picture?

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum ... you have great taste in sports ... a shame about your choice of shirts ... could I suggest something in black perhaps :)

... just kidding, good luck finding the shirt, hope to see you on the forums

Welcome to the forum ... you have great taste in sports ... a shame about your choice of shirts ... could I suggest something in black perhaps :)

... just kidding, good luck finding the shirt, hope to see you on the forums

LOL, yeah, there's something about what the kiwis put in the water over there that make anyone that wears that shirt feel like dancing before a game, LOL! I call it the Kiwi Jig. (LOL) I'm envious of all the Southern Hemisphere folks that get to watch these games on more than one channel I have to pay extra for 1 channel just to watch these games & often times they're pre-recorded, LOL (Universal Sports).

I can't watch the Eagles play until November. We played 2 crap games this summer, losing to Canada (ugh!) and Italy who's pretty good & plays teams in England & Ireland, etc. We beat Georgia. I guess that counts for something. Wouldn't want to be a Georgian fan, lol. Coming up in November, the Eagles play Tongo, Russia (yeah baby!!!) and Romania. ~But I have to wait.

In the meantime, I hear there's a good match going on, between Oz & SA. The Springboks are playing the All Blacks coming up actually, that should be a good game. I'll be counting tongues during that dance, LOL! Yeah, I love rugby. My best friend in the navy was native aussie, accent & all & he got me into it. Unfortunately he was killed a year ago & I've been trying to locate that yellow shirt for me, just as something to wear. He had one like it & I was trying to get one for myself.

Anyhow, until the sport grows here & enough former springboks players come to the US to coach US Amateur teams, I'll have to enjoy the game watching events 1/2 a world away, LOL! Nice to meet ya!!! Look forward to seeing you in the forum!!!

So how many of you folks have actually flown thousands of miles to see a match?

http://morgenstunde.me/2011/07/21/what-a-sweet-potato-pig-symbolizes/ - Just had a look around for that t-shirt. This also you? Couldn't find the shirt though sorry.

No problem man, thanks for looking. I appreciate it! No, that's not me in the picture, lol, but I'm looking for a shirt like it. My best buddy in the navy had one like it as well (He was an aussie native, accent had died back a bit, got me into rugby & was killed a year ago) & as it turns out, as I'm looking for this shirt I find this chubby guy & nothing BUT this chubby guy & haven't gotten any closer since. I've hit a brick wall as it were. Thanks for helping me look.

Last edited:
LOL, yeah, there's something about what the kiwis put in the water over there that make anyone that wears that shirt feel like dancing before a game, LOL! I call it the Kiwi Jig. (LOL) I'm envious of all the Southern Hemisphere folks that get to watch these games on more than one channel I have to pay extra for 1 channel just to watch these games & often times they're pre-recorded, LOL (Universal Sports).

I can't watch the Eagles play until November. We played 2 crap games this summer, losing to Canada (ugh!) and Italy who's pretty good & plays teams in England & Ireland, etc. We beat Georgia. I guess that counts for something. Wouldn't want to be a Georgian fan, lol. Coming up in November, the Eagles play Tongo, Russia (yeah baby!!!) and Romania. ~But I have to wait.

In the meantime, I hear there's a good match going on, between Oz & SA. The Springboks are playing the All Blacks coming up actually, that should be a good game. I'll be counting tongues during that dance, LOL! Yeah, I love rugby. My best friend in the navy was native aussie, accent & all & he got me into it. Unfortunately he was killed a year ago & I've been trying to locate that yellow shirt for me, just as something to wear. He had one like it & I was trying to get one for myself.

Anyhow, until the sport grows here & enough former springboks players come to the US to coach US Amateur teams, I'll have to enjoy the game watching events 1/2 a world away, LOL! Nice to meet ya!!! Look forward to seeing you in the forum!!!

Sorry to hear about your friend, and hopefully you can find the shirt you want ... I lived in Australia for a while, but could never bring myself to wear their gear.

I quite enjoy the local international matches, and have adopted Canada as my second team, as I now live in the frozen north (it might not be frozen now, but it's coming :) )

I have pay channels here to watch the games back home, and am pleasantly surprised by the number of games covered ... although the games are on in the early hours, and they keep stuffing the scheduling up, so my games don't record ... but I digress :)

Anyway, I hope Rugby continues to grow in the Americas, and we get better coverage as a result.

... Yes, the Boks play the All Blacks this weekend, and that should be a good match as usual, and the wallabies play Argentina, which should be another great match.

Looks like a good schedule for the Eagles, I'd expect Tonga (depending on the players they have available) and Romania to be tough games and it will be interesting to see if Russia has improved from their World cup game against the US ... hopefully it will be televised :)

Sorry to hear about your friend, and hopefully you can find the shirt you want ... I lived in Australia for a while, but could never bring myself to wear their gear.

I quite enjoy the local international matches, and have adopted Canada as my second team, as I now live in the frozen north (it might not be frozen now, but it's coming :) )

I have pay channels here to watch the games back home, and am pleasantly surprised by the number of games covered ... although the games are on in the early hours, and they keep stuffing the scheduling up, so my games don't record ... but I digress :)

Anyway, I hope Rugby continues to grow in the Americas, and we get better coverage as a result.

... Yes, the Boks play the All Blacks this weekend, and that should be a good match as usual, and the wallabies play Argentina, which should be another great match.

Looks like a good schedule for the Eagles, I'd expect Tonga (depending on the players they have available) and Romania to be tough games and it will be interesting to see if Russia has improved from their World cup game against the US ... hopefully it will be televised :)

Yeah, the Springboks & All Blacks, the 1995 world cup final rematch, lol. No worries, my buddy was a good guy. We served together for 8 few years, deployed to Kuwait together, we were the best of friends. He got me into rugby, I got him into hockey. He was killed in a motorcycle accident. Drunk Driver got him.

Yeah, I get the Universal Sports Network that I pay extra for so I can use the DVR to record games. I ticked off an English fella last night when I said in a post I wrote that I had to wade through hours of cricket just to watch a rugby match. He responded, "I'll have yo know that cricket is wonderful". I gave him 2 paragraphs as to why it's boring, etc etc. LOL.

Anyhow, you should like Canada very much. It's frigid, but the people are nice up there. You can also get into hockey. I love the game & grew up watching it! It was a game that was dominated by Russia for decades, and is now a North American dominated sport. Russia has fallen off quite a bit. North America & Scandinavia dominate the sport.

As it is, I hope rugby grows here. We have a few leagues but I think they're amateur leagues. It's a mess. A team in hawaii will play the australian aboriginies, (spelling?!) Boston will play a game against Ireland in Ireland on St. Patrick's Day. We're working on building the bridge to international play, but so far only a few work trucks have showed up to the site. I wish we had some sort of international pressure. 1 or 2 companies that are willing to sponsor a real league, even if they're international. It would be enough to light a fire under American companies to take ownership.

Anyhow, yeah, I'm looking forward to the match w. Russia. We have some tough games ahead to be sure. Hopefully we're up to the task. We're ranked 17th i think? I'm just happy we're playing real teams. Tough teams that play other tough teams. I'll be cheering for your All Blacks this weekend. I like crazy, lol. What channel do you watch matches on, is it Universal Sports?

Yeah, the Springboks & All Blacks, the 1995 world cup final rematch, lol. No worries, my buddy was a good guy. We served together for 8 few years, deployed to Kuwait together, we were the best of friends. He got me into rugby, I got him into hockey. He was killed in a motorcycle accident. Drunk Driver got him.

Yeah, I get the Universal Sports Network that I pay extra for so I can use the DVR to record games. I ticked off an English fella last night when I said in a post I wrote that I had to wade through hours of cricket just to watch a rugby match. He responded, "I'll have yo know that cricket is wonderful". I gave him 2 paragraphs as to why it's boring, etc etc. LOL.

Anyhow, you should like Canada very much. It's frigid, but the people are nice up there. You can also get into hockey. I love the game & grew up watching it! It was a game that was dominated by Russia for decades, and is now a North American dominated sport. Russia has fallen off quite a bit. North America & Scandinavia dominate the sport.

As it is, I hope rugby grows here. We have a few leagues but I think they're amateur leagues. It's a mess. A team in hawaii will play the australian aboriginies, (spelling?!) Boston will play a game against Ireland in Ireland on St. Patrick's Day. We're working on building the bridge to international play, but so far only a few work trucks have showed up to the site. I wish we had some sort of international pressure. 1 or 2 companies that are willing to sponsor a real league, even if they're international. It would be enough to light a fire under American companies to take ownership.

Anyhow, yeah, I'm looking forward to the match w. Russia. We have some tough games ahead to be sure. Hopefully we're up to the task. We're ranked 17th i think? I'm just happy we're playing real teams. Tough teams that play other tough teams. I'll be cheering for your All Blacks this weekend. I like crazy, lol. What channel do you watch matches on, is it Universal Sports?

No, I don't think you ticked Mite off ... I think he was just trying to get a bite out of you ... I get the whole cricket thing - I enjoy it, but the most entertaining thing that most Canadians find about it, is me, trying to explain the rules :)

I have kinda got into the Hockey already ... I support the local team (the Edmonton Oilers), but I find it a "character building" experience ... as the season progresses, the fans seem to worry about winning too many games, as they'll miss out on the first draft pick ... I can't really relate to this ... I also follow Canadian Football a bit, but only off and on to see if the Eskimos can beat the Ticats (one of my friends on here is a Ticats supporter, so a little bit of rivalry) ... also trying to get up to speed with the NFL, but that might take me a while.

The channel I get my Rugby fix on is Sportnet World, which took over from Setanta. It shows quite a few games, plus Rugby League (which I don't really watch), and lots of Soccer (which I don't watch at all)

No, I don't think you ticked Mite off ... I think he was just trying to get a bite out of you ... I get the whole cricket thing - I enjoy it, but the most entertaining thing that most Canadians find about it, is me, trying to explain the rules :)

I have kinda got into the Hockey already ... I support the local team (the Edmonton Oilers), but I find it a "character building" experience ... as the season progresses, the fans seem to worry about winning too many games, as they'll miss out on the first draft pick ... I can't really relate to this ... I also follow Canadian Football a bit, but only off and on to see if the Eskimos can beat the Ticats (one of my friends on here is a Ticats supporter, so a little bit of rivalry) ... also trying to get up to speed with the NFL, but that might take me a while.

The channel I get my Rugby fix on is Sportnet World, which took over from Setanta. It shows quite a few games, plus Rugby League (which I don't really watch), and lots of Soccer (which I don't watch at all)

This drives me nuts as well Shaggy. Not only is it counter to being a supporter it actually has no evidence to back it actually working other wise the Leafs and Oilers would actually be good by now.

And your Eskies are going down this Saturday!!!

Sorry about your mate. Even worse that it's by a drunk driver.

I myself haven't flown to watch a game. But I certainly will do if I'm ever holidaying around an international rugby match. In regards to adopted countries, Argentina/Canada are the non-AB teams I support, and Fiji as well.

Also, wasn't there supposed to be a test match in Denver sometime?

Yeah I don't get that in the NFL either. Last year, Dolphins fans were pretty ****** after they lost out on the "Suck for Luck" campaign.

In regards to following an NFL team geographically close to you; there's the Seattle Seahawks, the Minnesota Vikings, or the Green Bay Packers.

I suggest the Packers.

EDIT:

THIS is what I HATE about American sports:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8...ert-griffin-iii-covering-nike-logo-undershirt

Last edited:
And your Eskies are going down this Saturday!!!

Dream on pal ... it's the mighty Esks all the way :)

In regards to following an NFL team geographically close to you; there's the Seattle Seahawks, the Minnesota Vikings, or the Green Bay Packers.

I suggest the Packers.

Yeah, Little Guy got me involved in a picking comp, so I'm using the force to make my picks at the moment, while I get the hang of who should beat who :D

My wife is in the picking comp too (so she can't help me), and she supports the patriots, so I'm not sure whether becoming a Packers fan would be a good thing :)

Anyway, sorry to high jack your thread Jason ... Admartian, Little Guy, and Nick are all excellent guys, and it's always worth reading their posts ... I hope I didn't miss anybody that posted on your thread ... actually, they're all pretty good on here :)

Last edited:
Dream on pal ... it's the mighty Esks all the way :)

Yeah, Little Guy got me involved in a picking comp, so I'm using the force to make my picks at the moment, while I get the hang of who should beat who :D

My wife is in the picking comp too (so she can't help me), and she supports the patriots, so I'm not sure whether becoming a Packers fan would be a good thing :)

Anyway, sorry to high jack your thread Jason ... Admartian, Little Guy, and Nick are all excellent guys, and it's always worth reading there posts ... I hope I didn't miss anybody that posted on your thread ... actually, they're all pretty good on here :)

Permaban on its way.

Latest posts