• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New to the sport

J

Jukebox

I'm a junior in high school right now but we don't have a rugby team. I plan to play in college but I want to know what position I'm good for first to see what I should focus on improving. I'm 5'7'' and about 145lbs. I'm very fast and I have excellent agility. I guess I'd have pretty decent hands since I play football (american). I have Rugby 07 the game and I was thinking of wing being my position but I'm a newbie so can you guys give me a suggestion?

How good you are kicking and passing?

At first I'd say winger as you don't have much on you height and weight wise.....but if you are decent and kicking and passing half back or flyhalf could be an option....I'd suggest start as a winger or fullback at first while you get some skills and then re-assess....your probably a bit small to be in the centres but they said that about Matt Giteau but he gets through it with being excellent at reading the game....

I don't know how I am passing or kicking because I haven't played before. The only teams available to me is college teams and I have another year for that. I play football and I have good hands for catching but I've never kicked before. I've thought about fullback because it reminds me of the position I play in football (kick returner) so I'll probably end up playing that.

yeah, you are seeming pretty small and they usually send the smallest guys on the team to scrum-half or 10, fullback could also be good for you although you should have a good boot for that

You will probably find that you won't actually nail a position until you have been playing at least 2 years because you will get bigger if you are a teen, but genrally you'd be a utility back and learn the game that way, how to kick and get yourself out of danger.

I was first played at winger because i was very fast and was able to break the line, but then this turned me into a flanker/backrow where they felt my pace and my added size was more benefitical to the team, and then i finally ended up in the centres, because i didn't really have a kicking game but i can break the line and of course the forwards always need a hand in the rucks!

Winger sounds good, don't worry about kicking, it's not a big aspect of the game in junior rugby. I think guy's on here over-complicate the game for new people.

Latest posts