• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New to the sport...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Dec 28 2009, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Phil Stephens @ Dec 28 2009, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey everyone, first time poster here on the rugby forum and just starting to get into rugby as an American (kind of tough to follow here in the states though). I was just hoping some of you guys who know more about it could kind of fill me in on the sport. I'm mainly interested in the Guinness Premiership and already know all the clubs from the Skysports website, but also am interested in the internationals as well. Here is basically what I would like to know (that Wikipedia gave little/insufficient or no info on):

-What the derby matches are in the Guinness Premiership and what teams really hate each other
-Who some of the best players are from each team and what country they're from
-Brief history of teams (who the most successful clubs are, etc, etc)
-And, how (if at all) I could watch matches online or something so I can keep up with it

Anyway thanks a lot for anyone who responds and can help me out a little bit since I really like the game a lot.[/b]

All right. I'll do my best to answer your questions, but you obviously other will differ in opinions, I'll try and be unbias.

1. In the Guiness Premiership, the greatest rival I would say are the London Wasps vs Leicester Tigers. There are others, but those are really the big one, like the Lakers vs Celtics in Basketball.

Best Active Internationals:

Ireland: Centre Brian O'Driscol (Captain of Leinster and Ireland, best Center in the World),Lock Paul O'Connell (Captain of Munster and British and Irish Lions 2009), Fly Half Ronan O'Gara (A player who used to be good but is in mixed form and now may be replaced by new talent Johnathan Sexton), Wing Tommy Bowe, Wing Luke Fitzgerald, Fullback Rob Kearney.'

France: Flanker Thierry Dusautoir (Captain of France), Lock Sébastien Chabal, Center Yannick Jauzion (Captain of Stade Toulousain), Wing Vincent Clerc, Wing Cedric Heymans.

England: Fly Half Johnny Wilkinson (Once considered best Fly Half in the world), Lock Steve Borthwick (Saracens and England Captain), Lock Simon Shaw, Flanker Tom Croft, Flanker Lewis Moody.

Wales: Ryan Jones (Captain of Ospreys and Wales), Prop Gethin Jenkins, Prop Duncan Jones, Prop Adam Jones, Fly Half Steven Jones, Center Jamie Roberts, Flanker Dafydd Jones, Flanker Martyn Williams, Wing Shane Williams.

Italy: Number 8 Sergio Parisse (Captain of Stade Français and Italy), Prop Martin Castrogiovanni, Fly Half Craig Gower (New to Rugby Union), Flanker Mauro Bergamasco

Scotland: Scrum Half Mike Blair (Captain of Edinburgh, Co-Captain of Scotland), Scrum Half Chris Cusiter (Co-Captian of Scotland).

USA: Flanker Todd Clever (Captain of USA), Fly Half Mike Hercus, Wing Takudzwa Ngwenya.

Best Southern Hemisphare Players.

New Zealand: Flanker Richie McCaw (Captain of Crusaders and New Zelealand, Player of the year 09, best Openside Flanker in the world), Fly Half Daniel Carter (best Fly Half in the world), Fullback Mils Muliaina (Captain of Cheifs), Lock Brad Thorn, Center Conrad Smith, Center Ma'a Nonu, Prop Tony Woodcock, Wing Sitiveni Sivivatu, Wing Cory Jane, Number 8 Kieran Read.

South Africa: Hooker John Smit (Captain of the Bulls and South Africa), Lock Victor Matfield (Best Lock in the World), Lock Bakkies Botha, Flanker Juan Smith (Captain of Cheetahs), Flanker Schalk Burger, Flanker Heinrich Brüssow, Number 8 Pierre Spies, Centre Jaque Fourie, Wing Bryan Habana, Wing JP Pieterson, Fly Half Morne Steyn, Fly Half Francois Steyn, Prop Tendai Mtawarira, Scrum Half Fourie du Preez.

Australia: Flanker Rocky Elsom (Captain of Australia), Fly Half Matt Giteau, Flanker David Pocock, Prop Matt Dunning (possibly the best player in the world), Scrum Half Will Genia, Center Berrick Barnes, Center Digby Ioane, Center Stirling Mortlock, Flanker George Smith.

Argenina: Flanker Juan Martín Fernández Lobbe (Captain of Argentina), Fly Half Felipe Contepomi , Fly Half Juan Martín Hernández, Hooker Mario Ledesma.

Samoa: Number 8 George Stowers (Captain of Samoa), Prop Cencus Johnston, Center Seilala Mapusua, Wing David Lemi, Wing Anitelia Tuilagi.

Fiji: Fly Half Seremaia Bai (Captain of Fiji), Fly Half Nicky Little, Wing Napolioni Nalaga, Wing Vilimoni Delasau, Scrum Half Mosese Rauluni.

Tonga: Paino Hehea (Captain of Tonga).

A current World XV would look like this. It is debatable so I'll give three options in what is believe is in order. Only current internationals, which means there is no players not playing internationally.

1. Tony Woodcock (NZ), Tendai Mtawarira (SA), Gethin Jenkins (Wales)
2. John Smit (SA), Mario Ledesma (Arg), Bismarck du Plessis (SA)
3. Martin Castrogiovanni (Italy), Adam Jones (Wales), Phil Vickery (Eng)
4. Bakkies Botha (SA), Ali Williams (NZ), Simon Shaw (Eng)
5. Victor Matfield (SA), Paul O'Connel (Ire) Brad Thorn (NZ)
6. Rocky Elsom (Aus), Juan Smit (SA), Schalk Burger (SA)
7. Richie McCaw (NZ), Heinrich Brüssow (SA), Thierry Dusautoir (France)
8. Sergio Parisse (Italy), Pierre Spies SA), Juan Martín Fernández Lobbe (Arg)
9. Fourie du Preez (SA), Will Genia (Aus), Mike Blair (Scotland)
10. Daniel Carter (NZ), Matt Giteau (Aus), Morne Steyn (SA)
11. Bryan Habana (SA), Sitiveni Sivivatu (NZ), Napolioni Nalaga (Fiji)
12. Jamie Roberts (Wales), Ma'a Nonu (NZ), Yannick Jauzion (France)
13. Brian O'Driscoll (Ire), Conrad Smith (NZ), Jaque Fourie (SA)
14. Corey Jane (NZ), Shane Williams (Wales), Cedric Heymans (France)
15. Mils Muliaina (NZ), Rob Kearney (Ire), Francois Steyn (SA)

Opinions may be different, though I'd say that they are considered the best players in those positions.

3. The most successful teams in NH would be Leicester Tigers, Munster and Toulouse. In the Southern Hemisphere the Crusaders are the most successful team.

4. I don't know sorry.
[/b][/quote]

Why does Borthwick get a mention? and why not Simon Shaw? And why doesn't Heaslip who would be in most people's World XV of 09 not get mentioned? You also fail to mention Mike Philipps but for some reason mention Dafydd and Duncan Jones?

AND WHAT ABOUT D'ARCY!!

I'd give you a neg rep if I weren't shaking so much with rage

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Dec 29 2009, 03:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Cack?
Are you serious?
That's when the haka was at it's greatest. They had no idea what they were doing, slap the legs a couple of times - i swear a bunch of them were even clicking their fingers!
It's hillarious.
Now they try and make it scary. Booooooring![/b]

I couldn't agree more, thanks for putting a big smile on my face with that one!

I don't think I can give rep points yet but if I could I would have given you some for that post.

Well, it's not that hard is it?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/crDvvOlHZYs&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/crDvvOlHZYs&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Latest posts