• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Year Honours

Vieux Talonneur

International
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
A very well deserved OBE for Matt Hampson.

Also an OBE for Rob Baxter and a bizarre MBE for Joe Simmonds.

Crossing codes an MBE for Rob Burrow too. I know Union supported Doddie Weir, but the way that League have rallied around Burrow has been hugely impressive.

Also an OBE for Rob Baxter and a bizarre MBE for Joe Simmonds.
I know Sarries are the big bad villains but Exeter getting this while they got nothing during their period dominance is a joke.

Then again the honours list is a farce anyway

Joe Simmonds getting an OBE on the same year as Matt Hampson is laughable.
MBE not OBE but yes very surprising, young man done very well captaining the team to a double and was playing very well himself but im quite shocked by it but happy for him. He didnt choose it and though it was a joke himself

ok team, what are people thoughts on Honors for sports people? not a fan myself

I'd much rather hear about them being given to people tat have volunteered at the hospital/library/old folks home/school for the last 30 years or the person who put their life at risk to save someone else than professional sports people that get paid a fortune to play a game

Totally.

You shouldn't get a gong just for doing your job, no matter how well. Irrespective of whether you're a civil servant or sportsman they should be for going above and beyond / serving communities.

Simmonds made his pro debut in 2016. That same year retired footballer Lou Macari set up a centre for homeless people in Stoke. I know whose contribution we should value more. Not a dig at Simmonds BTW, I suspect he's probably a bit embarrassed by the whole thing (although could have turned it down).

Latest posts