• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Zealand 22 - France 27

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Jun 15 2009, 02:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elgringoborracho @ Jun 15 2009, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Jun 14 2009, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You've got to remember, if this wasn't such a big rare event (NH side winning down under), you guys up north would scarcely find it worth a mention would you?[/b]

Well it is a big rare event, but the question is, if an understrength french side who hasn't been particularly brilliant in the last 6N could do it_ without suffering at all might I add_ will it remain so?
[/b][/quote]

You only stated half the facts there, which is really poor commentary. The other half of those facts are that the All Blacks side which you played was not just injury-hit, but injury ravaged! If 100% represented the best the All Blacks could put on the field, the side in the weekend would represent about 60%, which paints a much more accurate portrayal of things.

That said you'll find many of the NZ'ers on the forum taking their hats off to the fine effort of the french performance, not so many gracious winners though sadly.
[/b][/quote]

Were the gracious losers hidden behind the guys throwing bottles and cans at the french players at the end of the game?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elgringoborracho @ Jun 15 2009, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Jun 15 2009, 02:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elgringoborracho @ Jun 15 2009, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Jun 14 2009, 09:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You've got to remember, if this wasn't such a big rare event (NH side winning down under), you guys up north would scarcely find it worth a mention would you?[/b]

Well it is a big rare event, but the question is, if an understrength french side who hasn't been particularly brilliant in the last 6N could do it_ without suffering at all might I add_ will it remain so?
[/b][/quote]

You only stated half the facts there, which is really poor commentary. The other half of those facts are that the All Blacks side which you played was not just injury-hit, but injury ravaged! If 100% represented the best the All Blacks could put on the field, the side in the weekend would represent about 60%, which paints a much more accurate portrayal of things.

That said you'll find many of the NZ'ers on the forum taking their hats off to the fine effort of the french performance, not so many gracious winners though sadly.
[/b][/quote]

Were the gracious losers hidden behind the guys throwing bottles and cans at the french players at the end of the game?
[/b][/quote]
Those people are just drunken idiots who in no way represent the whole of the country. I haven't actually heard about the incident but if it happened that is very regrettable.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elgringoborracho @ Jun 15 2009, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Jun 15 2009, 02:56 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's not like we ever went on like this when we beat the French 47-3 in their own backyard in 2006, did we? Sure they came back with an impressive loss to us in the 2nd test in Paris 23-11 (more than twice their score there), but we never went on labelling them cheese-eating surrender monkeys did we?

Maybe this short term memory thing needs to be addressed. Maybe there's been a little too much riding on bicycles, wearing berets, moustaches and hoop-striped jerseys, drinking wine with cloves of garlic around the neck? They seem to be able to remember how to play the accordian whilst making sneaky, sexy moves on other nations women. Why can't they remember the losses which would make humble men of most others?

I suppose I wouldn't want to look back either.[/b]

There there CA, nobody forgot anything, and the ABs didn't lose their first place in world rankings on one game. For a french rugby fan, seing his national side win in New Zealand is a huge event. The last time we did it was 15 years ago and the time before 30 years ago. Your side was undoubtedly very diminished and unexperienced, but to us any player wearing the Black jersey has to be one of the best you could ever face. After that 47-3 spanking in 2006 I remember Laporte calling your players "extraterrestrians". He didn't try to find an excuse, he virtually admitted in front of the cameras that an AB player was worth 5 french players. This immense respect the french have for the ABs is probably the reason why, once in a while, we manage to beat you against all odds, and that's because every french player has grown up with the idea that beating the All Blacks was the ultimate challenge, so they always give their best.

As for last night you probably know the average number of caps in the french squad was inferior to that of the All Blacks. And we were also missing key players like Harinordoquy and the finalists of the top 14. So the inexperience excuse seems a bit easy for me. I just think we were stronger at the breakdown and that our strategy was the right one, particularly our defensive strategy. That's why the next game will be a totally different one, as our rush defense probably won't work that well a second time.

I'm sorry I don't know any stereotypes about kiwis although I went there for two months last summer. I don't know if this is one but I thought the girls there were pretty easy to catch. Maybe the french accent?
[/b][/quote]

Now here is a fine example of a frenchman who took what I said in good humour. New Zealand fans have heaps of respect for french rugby flair, it's just hard to take our noses being rubbed in a loss when we generally do very little of that to the french, because most of the time there is great respect there!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elgringoborracho @ Jun 15 2009, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Jun 15 2009, 02:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

As for this one, I have to say it's pretty harsh to judge New Zealanders by a couple of dozen idiots who don't deserve to watch the game. I'm sure those same idiots exist in every country. That argument is destroyed.

Well no not quite. Throwing stuff at the opposition team is pretty serious. Is it being addressed down there at all? Your right of course its not a reflection of NZ fans, but its pretty serious none the less.

As for the French enjoying the win, I think they are entitled too. This is the first time they have toured with a reasonably strong team in a good while they put in a solid defensive display and made the AB's look pretty average. First win in 15 years? Try being Irish and never having won :).

Gracious? you mean the .......... "well done for beating our injury ravaged team" comments?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (InsaneAsylum @ Jun 14 2009, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
2006 - mortlock slips past mcalister to set up the match winning try for the wallabies
2007 - mcalister attempts a 50m drop goal, with only minutes left, france defeat new zealand
2009 - mcalister passes directly to the french fullback and is left gasping for breathe as the french seal victory

mcalister is proving to be the king of crucial f*** ups![/b]

Or maybe your just a f*** up?

We swept the Wallabies in 2006, I assume your talking about the MCG Test where it was Mauger who let Mortlock through during the middle of his implosion which lost us the game, and roflcopter at blaming the Quarter Final loss on McAlister, he was the best player on the pitch that day except for probably Ali Williams.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
To be honest, you guys should have tapped Riki Flutey when you had the chance...[/b]

You mean back when he was single handily losing the Hurricanes games with his award winning comedy show he put on in the Fly Half position?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Jun 15 2009, 09:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well no not quite. Throwing stuff at the opposition team is pretty serious. Is it being addressed down there at all? Your right of course its not a reflection of NZ fans, but its pretty serious none the less.

As for the French enjoying the win, I think they are entitled too. This is the first time they have toured with a reasonably strong team in a good while they put in a solid defensive display and made the AB's look pretty average. First win in 15 years? Try being Irish and never having won :) .

Gracious? you mean the .......... "well done for beating our injury ravaged team" comments?[/b]

Yeah, I am being gracious. Equally gracious Logorrhea, they said first that their team was understrength. Which isn't gracious winning is it?

As for the throwing stuff at the opposition, I never said it wasn't serious. All I said was that the New Zealand people shouldn't be judged by the actions of a minority, in a style of incident which is exceedingly rare in NZ. It is a problem worldwide, so I don't see why this comment was fair as it implies that there were no gracious losers behind the bottle and can throwers.

"Were the gracious losers hidden behind the guys throwing bottles and cans at the french players at the end of the game?"

Is it being addressed down here, well I can ask here and now, is sporting hooliganism not ever been present in your perfect neck of the woods? Is it a fair reflection of your country? Is it being addressed?

So, Logorrhea, please comment in context.

Oh didnt agree with they way Elgringo phrased it. My point was that it shouldnt be dissmissed as something that happens but doesnt reflect the average fan. Of course it doesnt, your bang on there. I was just looking to see if its being looked at in NZ at all. Some posters on here werent even aware it happened so I'm assuming no one has even commented on it down there no? Not a bit deal, was just curious, and also 100% in context!

As for Hooliganism over here? Your maing an arguement that never was (see above) but .................. Nahhh we dont do that. We play GAA (bogball) and beat the living shite out of eachother on the pitch. On some occasions the fans decide to get involved but they just run onto the pitch and do it there too. None of that sneaky throwing stuff, they just run on and lay into eachother. Unfortunately I do think that kind of behaviour reflects some of the less educated country folk in Ireland. I agreed with you on your original point, so no idea why your throwing this at me.

As for the Gracious piece. I'm an outside observer but its clear to see that every "we only played half a team" comment will just egg the French posters on to throw it back. Its hypocritcal to accuse one group of doing one thing, then do it yourself.

Neither of you are being particularly gracious but I'm with Elgringo here. If only because its a once in 15 year occurance (world cups aside), they will probably get their asses handed to them in a week, and your president still hasnt apologised for what New Zealand (as a nation) did to Brian O'Driscoll!

I can do random too :)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ripper @ Jun 15 2009, 09:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (InsaneAsylum @ Jun 14 2009, 09:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2006 - mortlock slips past mcalister to set up the match winning try for the wallabies
2007 - mcalister attempts a 50m drop goal, with only minutes left, france defeat new zealand
2009 - mcalister passes directly to the french fullback and is left gasping for breathe as the french seal victory

mcalister is proving to be the king of crucial f*** ups![/b]

Or maybe your just a f*** up?

We swept the Wallabies in 2006, I assume your talking about the MCG Test where it was Mauger who let Mortlock through during the middle of his implosion which lost us the game, and roflcopter at blaming the Quarter Final loss on McAlister, he was the best player on the pitch that day except for probably Ali Williams.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
To be honest, you guys should have tapped Riki Flutey when you had the chance...[/b]

You mean back when he was single handily losing the Hurricanes games with his award winning comedy show he put on in the Fly Half position?
[/b][/quote]

whether i'm a f*** up or not it takes nothing away from the fact that mcalister is **** :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (C A Iversen @ Jun 15 2009, 06:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elgringoborracho @ Jun 15 2009, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

As for this one, I have to say it's pretty harsh to judge New Zealanders by a couple of dozen idiots who don't deserve to watch the game. I'm sure those same idiots exist in every country. That argument is destroyed.
[/b][/quote]

I stayed in Dunedin for one week last summer, and I gotta say some of these idiots are also the funniest people to get drunk with. So fine, I'll let you destroy that argument :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jun 15 2009, 02:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Pass the popcorn... This should be entertaining...[/b]

Did we not have this conversation about 9 months ago in the NH club forum? See if you can drag it up and we can go looking for inflamitory posts.

just watching the highlights of that game on youtube... it bought back such great feelings as well :) i have to say, ripper has an incredible memory, it was in fact aaron mauger who let mortlock slip, not mc alister so i stand corrected, although i did pick up on the fact that while mauger was busy talking mortlock, mcalister was running around in circles trying to figure out who actually had the ball :D

Really, it's amazing how people react when the AB's lose. Some people dump all their years of rugby frustration at once. It's poor sportmanship and is just plain bitterness.

Coming as a supporter from a team that beats the AB's yearly ;) I've seen great sportmanship in defeat from the huge majority of our kiwi members probably because they know you'd have play one hell of a game to beat them.

Yes France played well and deserved to win, no arguments there but you have to be really desperate not to acknowledge that this was a very average AB due to uncontrollable events (injuries). The majority of this team has never played together. It's poor form to use this a vehicle take shots at SH rugby.

Test match rugby is about winning and France took their chance, and fair dues to them so enjoy the victory.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Jun 16 2009, 07:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Really, it's amazing how people react when the AB's lose. Some people dump all their years of rugby frustration at once. It's poor sportmanship and is just plain bitterness.

Coming as a supporter from a team that beats the AB's yearly ;) I've seen great sportmanship in defeat from the huge majority of our kiwi members probably because they know you'd have play one hell of a game to beat them.

Yes France played well and deserved to win, no arguments there but you have to be really desperate not to acknowledge that this was a very average AB due to uncontrollable events (injuries). The majority of this team has never played together. It's poor form to use this a vehicle take shots at SH rugby.

Test match rugby is about winning and France took their chance, and fair dues to them so enjoy the victory.[/b]

Yes, simple as that. I'm one of many New Zealanders who are critical of the All Blacks loss, not because I deem France as a less than credible foe, but because all New Zealanders hold the All Blacks to extremely high standards. It's a part of what drives New Zealand players to perform so well.

So, well done France, you are a team to be respected. As for French supporters, maybe a few of you could lift your game to your teams standard?

Who's taking pot shots at SH rugby? I think the "My Hemisphere > Your Hemisphere arguement" is in another thread.

So were all agreed then. France deserved to win. They are respected by all but they didnt beat the REAL NZ team so it doesnt count?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Jun 16 2009, 06:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Who's taking pot shots at SH rugby?[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jun 14 2009, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KZNSharksFan @ Jun 14 2009, 12:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
*long ass post nost avalable to see up a bit*[/b]

We all get it wrong occasionally. Case point being you thought the SH teams can defend. SHz teams such as the All Blacks or the Sharks...
[/b][/quote]

Bahhhh Mite doesnt count. He spends more time giving out about NH rugby then he does about SH.

Steve-o knows that too.

Latest posts