New Zealand Haka Is Arrogance?

Gavin

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Former Soviet Union
Club or Nation
Barbarians
Just was reading though MSN's examples of the worst arrogance in sport. Personally I was shocked to see that they have included the New Zealand Haka in the list, and it was written that -

The haka is the pre-match ritual war dance of the New Zealand rugby union team, and one that is increasingly seen as arrogant and unfair by the rest of the rugby world.
While the All Blacks line up and hurl abuse at the opposition, tradition dictates that the opposing team has to stand still and make no form of reply. All of which lead one British sports writer to label the haka recently as "a self-important bore and an instrument of the worst kind of sporting arrogance."
I notice that do they not include an other rugby nation's haka as arrogant; eg. Fiji. Samoa, Tonga. Clearly this is just an attempt to attack the number one team in the world.
The other examples of arrogance in sport are interesting. They have included Cristiano Ronaldo and Lewis Hamilton.

http://him.uk.msn.com/in-the-know/photos.aspx?cp-documentid=155828677&page=3

well i don't care that hamilton is arrogant. he's a tax evader, which is much worse.

I can see where people are coming from calling the Haka arrogant and unsportsman like. On the face of it, it can't really be seen as anything else. However in New Zealand the Haka is looked at as a part of our culture, and is more of a tribute to our own history, rather than an antagonistic challenge. What I think many forigners are unaware of, is that Ka Mate, the most commonly performed Haka, isn't even a war dance. I believe it is about the choice of whether to hide or die, and he chose to hide. Journalists like Stephen Jones, bleat on about how disrespectful and self-important the Haka is and then belittle most All Blacks performances. When Fiji, Samoa and Tonga play however, there is none of this negativity. It just comes off as sour grapes.

In honesty though, I'm under the impression the what ever the Haka invokes be it at Loftus, Twikenham, Suncorp or Millenium stadium, it always improves the atmosphare, and makes it exciting. It'd be nice if they only did the Haka during special occasions, then every country would want them to do the Haka.

Last edited:
Opinion Journalists always have to say something controversial to get people to notice them. Otherwise, there'd be no point in having them, since they'd think the same as everybody else. The best thing to do is ignore them.

Not really worth having a debate about the haka, it's so ingrained in the game of rugby that it'll always be there.

It's part of a proud culture and rugby union, so let the journalists diss

The Haka nearly put me off rugby when I first started watching it.
There's just something, unusual?, about 100+ kg men crouch jumping and slapping there thighs whilst wiggling there toungs

At first I though they lost a bet :lol:

Meh, as others say, it's just sour grapes

The Haka itself is by no means disrespectful. The fuss they made about Wales wanting to have their national anthem after it was arrogant to the extreme however.

The Haka itself is by no means disrespectful. The fuss they made about Wales wanting to have their national anthem after it was arrogant to the extreme however.

How was it arrogant? The Haka has been performed for many years, I think I read somewhere they are thought to have first performed it in 1906. It is now part of the culture of rugby, and IMO, if the culture of rugby is changed then it will go downhill very quickly.

How was it arrogant? The Haka has been performed for many years, I think I read somewhere they are thought to have first performed it in 1906. It is now part of the culture of rugby, and IMO, if the culture of rugby is changed then it will go downhill very quickly.
Wales weren't trying to make them not do it, just wanted to have "the last say" - nothing wrong with that imo

Last edited:

Why shouldn't Wales be allowed have their national anthem played after? They're at home after all. New Zealand decided it wasn't fair that they didn't get to do it after the anthems and went and sulked in the corner like spoiled children. Heavens knows someone shouldn't
do exactly what the All Blacks say.

No it isn't. End of story. Original poster, remove the hook from your mouth.

Remove the hook from my mouth? I thought it was an interesting paragraph, especially as it was on a site I never expected it to be on. It shows that the popularity of rugby has increased massively over the past few years and it can only get bigger.

Definitely think we (Wales) were right to insist on us having our anthem as the last thing before the match kicked off being the home team it was our right because being the last act before the match kicked off it would motivate us. Definitely think New Zealand were in the wrong that day to do the Haka in the changing room because they couldn't get their own way. Fair play to us for not giving in.

But it would be pretty weird doing the Haka then walking back and lining up and listining to the anthem? just seems a bit of a anti climax..both sides can take the fizz from the haka and put it into action

Remove the hook from my mouth? I thought it was an interesting paragraph, especially as it was on a site I never expected it to be on. It shows that the popularity of rugby has increased massively over the past few years and it can only get bigger.

not really, considering rugby is a major world sport and you can't exactly write a list consisting purely of the hyper-arrogant behaviour of footballers.

But it would be pretty weird doing the Haka then walking back and lining up and listining to the anthem? just seems a bit of a anti climax..both sides can take the fizz from the haka and put it into action

Ai I understand that but the point is with New Zealand performing the Haka right before kick-off they are more pumped up and ready and when a country host the All Black surely it is their right to have the last act before kick off so that they are the ones more hyped up and up for it.

Fair enough , in that case surely the best option would be for us to only perform it at home . Makes Sense?

Ai I understand that but the point is with New Zealand performing the Haka right before kick-off they are more pumped up and ready and when a country host the All Black surely it is their right to have the last act before kick off so that they are the ones more hyped up and up for it.

If New Zealand let Wales do that, then every country would. That isn't really in their best interests in the long run.
People don't realise that the Haka is done in away games on the invitation of the other sides. What Wales were saying was "Please do this funky dance for our entertainment because it helps us sell tickets, but we want you to do it as we say and we want the last word."
While Wales were well within their rights as hosts to ask that of them, i beleive that New Zealand were also justified in refusing that offer.

Although individual fans may not see it as such, the Haka is a major drawcard and moneyspinner for the host nations when the All Blacks play away. Saying that they want the positive effects of the Haka but not the negitive is having your cake and eating it too.

If New Zealand let Wales do that, then every country would. That isn't really in their best interests in the long run.
People don't realise that the Haka is done in away games on the invitation of the other sides. What Wales were saying was "Please do this funky dance for our entertainment because it helps us sell tickets, but we want you to do it as we say and we want the last word."
While Wales were well within their rights as hosts to ask that of them, i beleive that New Zealand were also justified in refusing that offer.

Although individual fans may not see it as such, the Haka is a major drawcard and moneyspinner for the host nations when the All Blacks play away. Saying that they want the positive effects of the Haka but not the negitive is having your cake and eating it too.

From what I know ... New Zealand have to ask the Maori priests to preform it overseas. The home nations have the right to refuse the performance of the Haka. They don't do it because it would cause an outrage in the rugby community. Wales were well within their right to ask New Zealand, to preform the Haka after the kick off. Let I just remind you quickly, that when Wales asked to do it it was in the 125th Anniversary year of the WRU ... and that when Wales first encountered the Haka in Wales ... the Welsh responded to the Haka by singing the Welsh National Anthem, Wales had done nothing wrong but just wanted to observe a mark of tradition, something that is often overlooked when it comes to the debate.

Latest posts