16. Nathan Harris
17. Asafo Aumua
18. Nepo Laulala
19. Scott Barrett
20. Vaea Fifita
21. TJ Perenara
22. Jordie barrett
23. Damian McKenzie

Well Sam Cane has been absolutely brilliant, add to that him obviously an integral part of All Blacks leadership. I'm not sure why you have missed him out, if anything 2017 was his year and many more people, including the constant groaning chorus from Canterbury who hate on most chiefs region all blacks are seeing why he is selected ahead of Savea and Todd in the #1 side. And I'd also say Todd has stepped ahead of Savea in the pecking order...

Other than that and adding Kane Hames to the bench and take on of the hookers out it looks pretty good.

There is a fair bit of depth in midfield but SBW will be in the mix. Despite not being his best in 2017 and that red card... SBW has been very good, arguably the best defensive midfielder in the world. I pick him to be better in 2018-19. The guys drive and work ethic are faultless. Goodhue to be involved more, I expect to see a bit of rotation in midfield to manage gametime. ALB has been amazing when he is at his best, but he and crotty have shown a tendency to get overworked and have drops in form.

NMS has looked amazing when he has been back, I like some of the improvements he has made on defense. His high ball work and some of his reads still need a bit of work. Constant injuries have really hampered his gametime. McKenzie and Jordie Barrett are options for that right wing.

McKenzie and Jordie barrett are 2 young guys who have the potential to be right up there as the top players in the world by 2019. We already Saw McKenzie make really good progress at 15 last year and really grow in test rugby.

Personally I think Kaino wont be there, squire has been amazing. he has had some injury issues. But when he's fit he has genuinely overtaken Kaino IMO.

I'm a huge Ben Smith supporter. he does have a lot of miles on his clock, he has had concussion issues. if he is at his best in 2019 then the cup is all but ours again, he is such an influential player, leader of the backline and so important in big games... But I can also see changes happening at 15... it doesn't take much. Remember Mils was one of the best players on the planet in 2010 but he struggled in 2011, Smith is around that age and as mentioned he has had a lot of Rugby. Despite starting his test career pretty late he has like 65 caps, 130+ for the highlanders.
As much as I hate to say it, I don't think Smith will be at his best in '19
Mckenzie, Barrett and Havili are options at 15.

Hooker is also interesting, Coles has had head knock issues.
Coles is such an amazing player, we really missed him against the lions. Would be awesome to have him at his best in 2019 which would be a likely and fitting swansong but the kind of situation he is in is tricky... I think its more likely he wont be available in 2019... either he somehow makes it, or he retires early, or takes a retirement contract in Japan for a couple of years.... who knows...
And Harris has had a drop in form, Harris hasn't really regained his best form after a long injury layoff he had last year. Aumua is obviously a huge prospect, and Coltman seems to be getting better and better. Ricky Riccitelli has been impressive but has a bit of work to do to play more like a test level payer.
I think Taylor is ahead of Harris in the current pecking order not considering injuries. Though IMO Harris is a better player when he is at his best, i think hes right up there with Coles at his best, not as fast but very smart and powerful.

Personally I think Kaino wont be there, squire has been amazing. he has had some injury issues. But when he's fit he has genuinely overtaken Kaino IMO.

I know "random AB to Top 14" rumours are very popular, but the Kaino ones have been reported pretty widely recently. It seems unlikely that a special dispensation would be made for him, so it seems unlikely that he would feature.

last update

1. Joe Moody
2. dane coles
3. Owen Franks
4. Brodie Retallick
5. Samuel Whitelock
6. Liam Squire
7. Vaea Fifita
8. Kieran Read (c)
9. Aaron Smith
10. Beauden Barrett
11. Rieko Ioane
12. Rob thompson
13. Ryan Crotty
14. Nehe Milner Skudder
15. Ben Smith

subs
16. Wyatt Crockett
17. Asafo Aumua
18. Nepo Laulala
19. Scott Barrett
20. Ardie Savea
21. TJ Perenara
22. Jordie barrett
23. Damian McKenzie

last update

1. Joe Moody
2. dane coles
3. Owen Franks
4. Brodie Retallick
5. Samuel Whitelock
6. Liam Squire
7. Vaea Fifita
8. Kieran Read (c)
9. Aaron Smith
10. Beauden Barrett
11. Rieko Ioane
12. Rob thompson
13. Ryan Crotty
14. Nehe Milner Skudder
15. Ben Smith

subs
16. Wyatt Crockett
17. Asafo Aumua
18. Nepo Laulala
19. Scott Barrett
20. Ardie Savea
21. TJ Perenara
22. Jordie barrett
23. Damian McKenzie

Crocketts just retired from All Black rugby mate!

My guess would be;

1. Joe Moody
2. Dane Coles
3. Owen Franks
4. Brodie Retallick
5. Samuel Whitelock
6. Liam Squire
7. Sam Cane
8. Kieran Read(C)
9. Aaron Smith
10. Beauden Barrett
11. Rieko Ioane
12. SBW
13. Ryan Crotty
14. Nehe Milner Skudder/Naholo
15. Ben Smith

16. Ofa Tu'ungafasi
17. Cody Taylor
18. Nepo Laulala
19. Scott Barrett
20. Ardie Savea/A.Ioane/V.Fifita/M.Todd
21. TJ Perenara
22. N.Laumape/ALB
23. Damian McKenzie/J.Barrett

Writing this list up, you kind of realize how much quality depth we have in each position.

Old mate Dropkick1 Made this thread about a year ago and my prediction was:
1. Moody
2. Coles
3. Franks
4. Retallick
5. Whitelock
6. Squire
7. Cane
8. Read
9. Perenara
10. Barrett
11. Ioane
12. Laumape
13. ALB
14. Milner-Skudder
15. Smith

Probably wouldn't change much, except maybe the centers. SBW and Crotty are probably a safer bet...... wouldn't surprise me to see the other 2 over take them in the next couple years though.

Bit of a left-field prediction: I rate Mo'unga VERY highly and dare I say it think he could be seriously challenging Barrett come WC time.

Latest posts