• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Zealand to play Samoa in Apia

TRF Mr Fish

Your Piscine Overlord
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
All Blacks coach Steve Hansen is comfortable fielding a potential second-string side in their historic rugby test in Samoa next July.

New Zealand Rugby today confirmed the All Blacks would play in Apia for the first time, in a Wednesday afternoon test on July 8.

That falls four days after the Super Rugby final in World Cup year and Hansen said it would be ''ridiculous'' to expect any All Blacks who played the decider to back up in Apia.

That raised the prospect of a host of frontliners missing the test if two New Zealand teams contest the final, something that last occurred in 2006 when the Crusaders beat the Hurricanes.

''That hasn't happened for a while. We'll deal with it,'' Hansen said.

The coach took umbrage at the label 'All Blacks B', should, for example, the Crusaders and Chiefs meet in the Super Rugby final.

''It's not a B team, there's no such thing as an All Black B team. The All Blacks are going to play Samoa, end of story, and if we've got two teams in the final, well, we'll still have an All Black team going to Samoa and it'll be the best team we can pick and they will be expected to play like All Blacks.

''You'll expect them to win, I'll expect them to win, and Stephen [Betham, Samoa's coach] will expect them to get beaten. We've got every respect for Samoan rugby, but we also know that you can't ask someone to play in a grand final and three days later expect them to back up in a test match. That's just ridiculous.

''If we're to play this game, that's the day we can play it and we've got to give a bit to get a bit and we're happy to do that. We've thought about all the things that could possibly happen and we still think we can go there and represent New Zealand the way they should be represented.''

The test was sealed at New Zealand Rugby headquarters in Wellington when NZ Rugby chairman Brent Impey and Samoa Rugby Union chairman, the Prime Minister Tuilaepa Sailele Malielegaoi, signed the agreement to play their first test outside New Zealand.

It will kick off the All Blacks' tests in the year of their World Cup defence. Their Rugby Championship opener is tentatively scheduled for July 18, against Argentina, followed by South Africa then back-to-back tests against the Wallabies, one of those for the Bledisloe Cup. The Samoa test was scheduled on a Wednesday to give the All Blacks ample preparation time for their Rugby Championship opener.

''It's the beginning of that 2015 season so it'll be a great way for us to start and bring the guys together. It is going to be very special,'' Hansen said.

''We've got a lot of Samoan guys in the team who are proud of their heritage. You can only imagine what it will be like. Only 20,000 can get into the ground but there's going to be a lot more than that wanting to be part of it and we're looking forward to that.''

NZ Rugby chief executive Steve Tew said the All Blacks' travel and accomodation costs were covered under the agreement but Samoa would take any gate profits. Sponsors are covering Samoa's costs of staging the test, which weren't disclosed. A crowd of 20,000-plus is expected at the stadium which will undergo some reconstruction.

Tew said the prospect of a test in Samoa was seriously discussed at the start of this year and with the World Cup meaning a shortened test programme and earlier finish to Super Rugby it fitted in nicely.

The Samoa Rugby Union welcomed confirmation of the match. Tuilaepa Lupesoliai Sailele Malielegaoi said: "It will be an historic occasion to have the All Blacks play in Samoa in July 2015.

''The rugby supporters of both countries will savour a unique event in Apia as the Manu Samoa will face the number one team in the world at home. It is a match that will be watched by millions of viewers as we intend to broadcast it live to the rest of the world.

"I also challenge other tier one nations to come and play the Manu Samoa at home."

From Stuff News: http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-blacks/10477342/All-Blacks-to-face-Samoa-in-historic-test

I'm sorry, was this posted elsewhere or does no one care anymore?? ;)

I think Samoa is a good rugby side and they will provide the players with a good warm up leading into the RWC. I just don't think they should have to play in Samoa because of some obligation. Interestingly enough it seems there will only be one home test match next year against Australia.

I'm sorry, was this posted elsewhere or does no one care anymore?? ;)

I think there is so much other stuff going on that people don't really care, Samoa got what they wanted but actually not quite. It is in fact just what they've always had just the name is different :)

MEH!

I didn't agree with it in the first place so not sure what I could add.

Charity is nice, but not really when you're told you owe it to someone for reasons that are total rubbish.

As it is there is one thing that you can bet your money on. The Hurricanes players will all be available.

Last edited:
I think there is so much other stuff going on that people don't really care, Samoa got what they wanted but actually not quite. It is in fact just what they've always had just the name is different :)

MEH!

Yeah. If it is a Chiefs vs Crusaders final next year then the All Blacks team will be no stronger than many NZ Maori sides. What's in a name?

Yeah. If it is a Chiefs vs Crusaders final next year then the All Blacks team will be no stronger than many NZ Maori sides. What's in a name?

Woodcock, Mealamu, Franks, Tuipuloto, Thrush, Luatua, Vito, Kaino, Smith, Barrett, Savea, Nonu, Smith, Jane, Smith...

That's still comfortably better than your average Maori team. Realistically only one NZ team will likely be in the final. If it's the Chiefs then you're only missing Cruden, Messam, Cane, Retallick and Kerr-Barlow. If the Hurricanes and the Crusaders were facing off in the final then we might have a slight issue...

Woodcock, Mealamu, Faumuina, Retallick, Tuipuloto, Messam, Cane, Kaino, Kerr-Barlow, Cruden, Gear, Williams, Fekitoa, Piutau, Smith.

Wait, no. That's still a bloody strong side.

Last edited:
Woodcock, Mealamu, Franks, Tuipuloto, Thrush, Luatua, Vito, Kaino, Smith, Barrett, Savea, Nonu, Smith, Jane, Smith...

That's still comfortably better than your average Maori team. Realistically only one NZ team will likely be in the final. If it's the Chiefs then you're only missing Cruden, Messam, Cane, Retallick and Kerr-Barlow. If the Hurricanes and the Crusaders were facing off in the final then we might have a slight issue...

Woodcock, Mealamu, Faumuina, Retallick, Tuipuloto, Messam, Cane, Kaino, Kerr-Barlow, Cruden, Gear, Williams, Fekitoa, Piutau, Smith.

Wait, no. That's still a bloody strong side.

Fair call. Most of the damage would happen in the forward pack but the backs are still really strong.

would have really liked to see what prime 2012/2013 Samoa could've done against Australia or NZ...but this is cool. "Exotic" matchups are always amazing to watch. You'd think these two would play each other a lot more given the geographical proximity, and they're both "Pacific Islands", but obviously NZ's caliber doesn't allow for that to be too frequent...
They only played each other 5 times, can you believe ?...

Screen Shot 2014-09-10 at 2.20.15 PM.png

Only saw the last one in 2008. Boy, triple digits for the AB...how much better did Samoa get from then til 2010/2011 ?..

Latest posts