• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Zealand v Ireland (2nd Test) - 9 July 2022

Really wanted to see the difference of teams after Schmidt apparently coached the ABs last week.

Deserved win for the boys in green.
Dreadful discipline by NZ if anything lucky to not lose more to the bin.
Sets up next week nicely.

NH needs to step the heck up and put a game to bed. The 4 RC nations all have deep, deep flaws at this moment and are eminently beatable. I actually hoped for the ABs to get nilled to make the pressure on Foster unbearable.

A better week for the NH. It's a poor NZ side but the would still be favourites at home against anyone so this is a great result for Ireland. The Irish mindset has to be that anything short of a series win is failure though. None of this plucky defeat nonsense. Win a series in NZ and maybe Ireland will mentally turn up at a RWC QF.

Man, ice been drinking for a long period of time. Whats it like not being the single greatest thing to ever land on earth after Johnny Sexton?

I'm intrigued

Got yo like the POM comment to Cane.
Up there with best sledges ever.

Our performance in the chaos of the first half was a rerun of the England and Italy games, and the lack of composure is very worrying. The fact that we've been presented with three practically indentical scenarios and have no clear idea of how to respond is unforgivable, and our move off the uncontested scrum against 5 backs was really poor in thought and execution.

Having said that, our performance in the second half was considerably better, and I thought we managed the game brilliantly, rarely looking like handing back control. Yes, NZ were poor, but I think the combination of the scoreboard and Irelands suffocating defence resulted in them trying to force things, causing a lot of spilled balls and indiscipline. After that second half I'm optimistic as opposed to confident ahead of the final test, which I suspect will be brutally physical.

On the cards, I think Fanga'anuka should have had a straight red. He was completely reckless and out of control and very late. The only reason he didn't connect with Hansel's head first was that he led with his elbow into Hasens chest and then hit him in the head with his shoulder. It was an extraordinary decision by Peyper. The second yellow was justified and another bit of Jesuitical reasoning by Peyper denied Ireland a stonewall penalty try.

Ta'avu's red was imo very harsh, although I accept that under current guidelines Peyper had no choice (which is probably the only reason he risked NZs anger by doing it). I think he was caught completely by surprise by Ringrose's step, and I don't think he was actually attempting a tackle, rather that he just found himself in Ringrose's path with no time to react. It looked completely accidental, and I'm not sure he actually did anything reckless, so I have a lot of sympathy for him. I know he's required to keep his tackle height down, but if he's not attempting a tackle it's just a rugby accident for me.

Our performance in the chaos of the first half was a rerun of the England and Italy games, and the lack of composure is very worrying. The fact that we've been presented with three practically indentical scenarios and have no clear idea of how to respond is unforgivable, and our move off the uncontested scrum against 5 backs was really poor in thought and execution.

Having said that, our performance in the second half was considerably better, and I thought we managed the game brilliantly, rarely looking like handing back control. Yes, NZ were poor, but I think the combination of the scoreboard and Irelands suffocating defence resulted in them trying to force things, causing a lot of spilled balls and indiscipline. After that second half I'm optimistic as opposed to confident ahead of the final test, which I suspect will be brutally physical.

On the cards, I think Fanga'anuka should have had a straight red. He was completely reckless and out of control and very late. The only reason he didn't connect with Hansel's head first was that he led with his elbow into Hasens chest and then hit him in the head with his shoulder. It was an extraordinary decision by Peyper. The second yellow was justified and another bit of Jesuitical reasoning by Peyper denied Ireland a stonewall penalty try.

Ta'avu's red was imo very harsh, although I accept that under current guidelines Peyper had no choice (which is probably the only reason he risked NZs anger by doing it). I think he was caught completely by surprise by Ringrose's step, and I don't think he was actually attempting a tackle, rather that he just found himself in Ringrose's path with no time to react. It looked completely accidental, and I'm not sure he actually did anything reckless, so I have a lot of sympathy for him. I know he's required to keep his tackle height down, but if he's not attempting a tackle it's just a rugby accident for me.
Having rewatched a few times the Hansen hit was way more a red than Ringrose hit which did seem reckless but more clumsy than intentional

Should absolutely be a HIA for Retallick.
It certainly looked like he was a wee bit crocked.

It's notable that there's not been a single mention of him in the NZ press, despite what was a clear heavy knock. He was on his arse for ages.

Much better from Ireland there. My man POM inspiring again. 😍

Or, as he's known in our house, Peter Feckin' O'Mahoney <3

He's a heck of a player. I'd love it if he would want to move to NZ.

I haven't seen anyone take such a leading role this year as much as he has - he puts Ardie's workrate to shame.

I see his pedigree is showing.

During his career, O'Mahony has captained Presentation Brothers College, Ireland U18, Ireland U20, Munster, Ireland and the British & Irish Lions.

Do they just give him a belly of red meat and tell him 'go gettem!" :)

And he's got a gob on him, you've got to love that.

My favourite non-Kiwi player, by a mile, and he's ahead of a few of those, too.
Peter O'Mahony has proven himself as a true leader this tour.

Absolutely. What a great couple of games for him. He's been outstanding.

What a win. Farrell proving he is a head coach with calibre
Which is a pity, because as a player I thought we were short-changed and it's coloured my view of him, and his offspring. That being said, he's doing pretty good - but has good material to work with.

Latest posts