16 - Rory Best (Belfast Harlequins/Ulster) 22
17 - Tony Buckley (Shannon/Munster) 7
18 - Mick O'Driscoll (Cork Constitution/Munster) 15
19 - Denis Leamy (Cork Constitution/Munster) 32
20 - Peter Stringer (Shannon/Munster) 82
21 - Paddy Wallace (Ballymena/Ulster) 8
22 - Girvan Dempsey (Terenure College/Leinster) 80

irl_nz_horgan.jpg

Strong looking Ireland team - surprises (to me) are Quinlan over Leamy at 6, and Kearney over Dempsey at Fullback (though I will admit I have not seen a lot of European rugby lately..). Will be interesting to see how Fitzgerald goes at 12 - I'd imagine the AB's will be targeting O'Gara and him on defense (particularly if they select Nonu at 12)..

All Blacks team due to be named at 4pm NZ time (apparently) - thats in about 30mins...

All Blacks team names:

1. Neemia Tialata
2. Andrew Hore
3. John Afoa
4. Brad Thorn
5. Ali Willliams
6. Rodney So'oialo
7. Richie McCaw ©
8. Jerome Kaino
9. Andy Ellis
10. Dan Carter
11. Sitiveni Sivivatu
12. Ma'a Nonu
13. Conrad Smith
14. Anthony Tuitavake
15. Mils Muliaina

Reserves:
16. Keven Mealamu
17. John Schwalger
18. Anthony Boric
19. Adam Thomson
20. Jimmy Cowan
21. Stephen Donald
22. Leon MacDonald

Not considered because of injury: Leonard, Woodcock and Kahui

Largely predictable team- So'oialo at 6 and Kaino at 8 is strange, though they can interchange throughout the match. Tuitavake gets the first go on the right wing, while Muliana is preferred to MacDonald at 15. Interesting that Schwalger is named ahead of Sommerville on the bench - it suggests they don't rate Sommervilles ability to cover the loosehead side... A total of 4 new caps (Tuitavake, Boric, Thomson, Donald) in the 22.

interesting choices at 6 and 8 thought it would have been the other way around. the rest is pretty much as expected.

Strange looking pack, very strange.

Back line looks on the money, exactly what I would have chosen.

Strange looking pack, very strange. [/b]

Do you think this signals that the selection merry-go-round method which Henry used in the last few years will continue unabated?

It's possible wouldn't you say? I mean, shambolic RWC exit not withstanding (and one not exactly without controversy), the same policy did produce something like 44 wins out of 48 games over 4 years... that's one loss a year (and I think 2 of those were in South Africa - one of the hardest places to play).

<div class='quotemain'> Strange looking pack, very strange. [/b]

Do you think this signals that the selection merry-go-round method which Henry used in the last few years will continue unabated?
[/b][/quote]

I think we will potentially see more changes there since that is where a lot of players have gone from. guys like jack and collins were in the team for a long time and it could take a few games at least until the coaching staff are happy they have found replacements. the backs on the other hand are largely still intact and nz seems to have a factory of wings coming through at the moment. 12 could definitely be a problem though there isn't a whole left there and it will be interesting to see who gets tried if nonu fails there.

Tuitavake is a couple of yards too slow to be a true winger. Maybe Henry is following the Deans model of team players on the wing instead of true speedsters.

Are there not any other wingers around?

I have heard Quinlan has a thigh injury and is not playing. Leamy at 6, Jennings on to the bench. He is a big loss, motm in heineken cup final, semi and a handful of pool games but leamy is an excellent replacement.

I am not worried about fitz's defence he is a good tackler and BOD will play 12 most of the time anyway. Hopefully Nonu will be stupid enough to run straight at BOD :bleh!:

BOD will step all over Nonu lol! Nonu can't defend!

If Ireland wins I will hate Henry with a vengeance!!!!!!

The Fitzgerald/BOD partnership could be very exciting. Fitz is an excellent player and at only 20, is regarded as BOD's long term replacement by many over here. If Nonu defends badly this could be a very exciting match.

If Nonu defends badly this could be a very exciting match. [/b]

Lol...."If"????? Ummmm.....I sometimes think that maybe Henry is giving Nonu ONE MORE chance to prove himself as he will surely never be given a chance if he misses tackles again like he did last time.

However if Nonu becomes the man then this may be the beginning of Nonu having a midfield starting place for the next few years :lol:

We're putting out a 900kg pack. The front 3 alone have a combined weight of 357kg. Must be one of the biggest packs we've had in a while.

This is gonna be a great game. Really hoping the Irish can give the All Blacks a decent game. Not like what the French do when they play there...

Tuitavake is a couple of yards too slow to be a true winger. Maybe Henry is following the Deans model of team players on the wing instead of true speedsters.

[/b]

howlett and gear both offshore and rocketman is injured so the stocks compared to last year are a bit lower. perhaps masaga could have been given a go or david smith. tuitavake make lack the speed but he can still get through the line and he does have a nice step.

<div class='quotemain'> Tuitavake is a couple of yards too slow to be a true winger. Maybe Henry is following the Deans model of team players on the wing instead of true speedsters.

[/b]

howlett and gear both offshore and rocketman is injured so the stocks compared to last year are a bit lower. perhaps masaga could have been given a go or david smith. tuitavake make lack the speed but he can still get through the line and he does have a nice step.
[/b][/quote]

I'm fairly certain he'll hold his own against the Irish wingers anyway. When it comes to facing SA I might be a bit more worried with him there.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> Tuitavake is a couple of yards too slow to be a true winger. Maybe Henry is following the Deans model of team players on the wing instead of true speedsters.

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

I'm fairly certain he'll hold his own against the Irish wingers anyway. When it comes to facing SA I might be a bit more worried with him there.
[/b][/quote]

Horgan and Bowe are very slow, he shouldnt have a problem.

Latest posts