• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Zealand v Ireland, 7th June 2008, Westpac Stadium, Wellington New Zealand

Not a clue who is reffing, lets hope its an Argentinian (Argentine??)

Certainly interesting how the rule changes will come into affect, it could work the opposite way, I wouldn't be surprised if the lads are so conscious of the rules to see them holding off to there loss.

Hes a Fullback, that usually plays on the wing and we have thrown him in at first center.....

He's young and quite energetic offensively, light on his feet and quick. I don't think he is a good passer or kicker (although Tony Ward seems to think so). He played Out Half for Blackrock College (traditionally considered one of the better rugby Schools in Ireland, Brian O Driscol went there) so I must assume he has some skills with foot and hand but I am not sure.
[/b]

He played fullback and centre for Rock, not outhalf. Chances are he'll defend in the 13 channel. In fairness to Fitzgerald he was Leinster's top try scorer this year. He's international class, maybe not quite internationally physical yet. He's gotta learn sometime.

As for the overall game, given Ireland's poor form and poor coach there's no real way I can see them being the first Ireland side to beat NZ especially considering that this team on form only managed to run a NZ side missing 6 or 7 first choice players (Carter and McCaw among them) close last time round.

Well, Fitzgerald is now out of the match with an ankle injury with Paddy Wallace coming into inside centre...

Big blow for Ireland...

How many injuries is that now?

I was looking forward to see this Fitgerald play.

On a side note. On Fantasy Test Rugby Fitzgerald can only be selcted as an Outside Back (OB) and is worth 500K I think.

You sure he didn't play 10, I heard he did a number of times. [/b]
He started 10 in the Junior Cup Final when he was in 3rd year as the normal outhalf was injured but it wasn't working during the match so they switched him to fullback and he spent his 3 years at Senior Cup between centre and fullback.

Fitzgerald's injury leaves Ireland with 2 fullbacks on the bench in Murphy and Dempsey which is a bit odd but infinitely better than having Dowling on the bench

I think it was Tony Ward (who is SCT coach of Gerads of course) who said it.

Losing him is a major blow, he goes with Darcy and Trimble as an injured center, shame. Bowe occasionally plays center for Ulster, we could shift him in, whack Kearney on the wing and Murphy at fullback.

But maybe Wallace is an ok choice, however if either Rog or Wallace gets injured I think will happen.

Actually, that is an interesting question. How big a blow would it be if ROG were to suffer an injury which kept hin out of the game? Who would take up kicking duties?

I'm sure we could lend you Charlie Hodgson.....please??

I presume it would be Paddy Wallace going to Flyhalf and goalkicking with Bowe/Horgan moving to center, Kearney moving to wing and Murphy/Dempsey going to Fullback.

Please not Horgan in Center, he is shocking off the wing.

If Rog gets injured we are f*cked plain and simple.

If Rog gets injured we are f*cked plain and simple.
[/b]

Unfortunately you guys have 'The Larkham problem' which is a term I'll now use for any similar situation.

Thankfully in Australia we've now got two good flyhalf options now that Larkham has retired. Unfortunately we didn't have any backups when he was around. :wacko:

Wallace in the centre is crazy. No way will he do anything usefull for Ireland. His tackeling is diabolical. But I still think It should be a tough game, new zealand maybe to pull it off in the first half, Ireland should turn it up in the second but it will be down to the wire. Then again, some rain, then who knows.

At international level Wallace has more of a chance of being a 12 than a 10. If one does get injured the best bet would probably be to throw Murphy into the centre at 13 with BOD at 12 and wait for it to go spectacularly right or spectacularly wrong

We do have a backup for O'Gara, Mr Sexton is coming through the Leinster ranks quite nicely thank you very much.

As for Wallace, all I know is that he aint an international outhalf. I'm pretty sure he aint an international centre but I presume that will be confirmed on Saturday. I dont know if Fitzgeralds absence could be defined as a loss of any kind, but weve gone from the unknown with potential, to the known who failed to meet his potential. A possible liability in the centre to a probable liability in the centre.

Either way its not good, but its not a disaster either. We've been lucky on the injury front as only D'Arcy, Quinlan and Fitzgerald have been ruled out from selection.

Strong Ireland team. Pity about Fitzgerald, but there's a lot of experience in there and that may be our trump card.

Haven't watched S14 this year, so some of the AB players are a mystery to me.

Wallace has had two starts for Ireland, Pacific Islanders and Barbarians. In both he seemed to perform well, in the Pacific Islanders game he came 2 points off the all time Ireland point scored in one match record with 26.

Do we underrate him, or is he actually bad.

In Britain its 8am, i think there will be a very short build up and it will be on about 5 past. Its on sky sports, not sure which one though.

Latest posts