• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Zealand v Ireland, 7th June 2008, Westpac Stadium, Wellington New Zealand

Not too bad by the All Blacks it's their 1st Test since the WC, I was expecting the Irish pack to be a bit more dominating in this type of weather but NZ were fantastic at the break down. The Irish backline has alot of the potential imo, although I don't really rate their wingers too much, hopefully we'll see more from them with this new coach.

<div class='quotemain'>
I think the Toulon finance director might be calling the bank to cancel that £500k cheque later today. :p
[/b]

Reckon, he's having a nightmare.

LOL at Smith (the slowest center in the world) burning O'Driscoll for that first try.
[/b][/quote]

Yes, once again it proves how overated O'Driscoll is, he lives off a 5 year old repuation. I mean owned by Smith for pace :lol2tn:

Pretty dissapointing conditions, which played as a leveller, Ireland did well to get a try which England probably wont and they were in it at half time. Thought McCaw was awesome, despite what people say about Habana he is not on Richie's level imo and thats from a Springbok fan.

I have no real complaints about the performance (other than Chris White's but hey whats new) Horan's mistake was stupid even if he had just been elbowed in the face, it was coming though after Pelous' similar incident in the final. Line out was shocking. Apart from a handful from Fla, and one from Best the throwing was terrible. Horgan needs to learn how to catch the ball, his technique was terrible. Reddan was terrible but Stringer had a surprisingly good impact off the bench, seeing as TO'L is in Canada he should start against Australia. Buckley was superb, did OK in the scrum and was a real presence in the loose. Say what you will about Smith v O'Driscoll but the fact is Ireland should have a penalty at the breakdown before that try. White :wall:

Highlights as I find them,

Haka

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ROZUUPYWAtc&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ROZUUPYWAtc&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Svivatu Try

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oLQ39yV4gXM&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oLQ39yV4

Wallace

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pGjf0Og8Bn4&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pGjf0Og8Bn4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Nonu lucky it was wet...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UssALnwyeDo&hl=en"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UssALnwyeDo&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Not a great game from both teams, the weather was to play a major deceider I think. Also remember, the Irish are only after comming off a whopper plain flight and straight into training... I think it will be a different game against the Ozzies. New Zealand, back after the WC and not looking bad, if there was another fixture between the two next week, it could easily go the other way.

Aslo (Sorry for the double post), Just watched the last trty... look at the way he slides over the line. So, the rain didnt help Ireland (Like for some reason everyone thinks it always does??) It helped the ABs lol!

From my point of view, a rubbish Ireland side were contained by a rubbish Half-Blacks side (you see what I did there?). The weather didn't help anyone, but both side should hang their heads after those ****-poor performances.

And everyone ripping Chris White really should give it a rest, none of his missed calls directly affected the result and he had an overall good game. After the Barnes incident, none of us care about referee bleaters anyway.

Nonu lucky it was wet...[/b]

Because no other player would ever use those conditions to their advantage, Sivivatu for example.

Nonu hates the rain anyway... It smudges his mascara.

Say what you will about Smith v O'Driscoll but the fact is Ireland should have a penalty at the breakdown before that try. White :wall:
[/b]

Yes but it evened itself out, there was a clear knock on by Buckley right in fron of the ref he waved it away and gave Ireland a penalty. He was pretty crap in general but didnt have much outcome on the game.

Have to say the two All Black tries were beautiful.

From my point of view, a rubbish Ireland side were contained by a rubbish Half-Blacks side (you see what I did there?). The weather didn't help anyone, but both side should hang their heads after those ****-poor performances.

<div class='quotemain'>
Nonu lucky it was wet...[/b]

Because no other player would ever use those conditions to their advantage, Sivivatu for example.

Nonu hates the rain anyway... It smudges his mascara.
[/b][/quote]

What rubbish, that was some of the worst conditions ever seen on a rugby pitch, i was amazed how few handling errors there were. I thought both teams played the conditions pretty well, no other team would have done any better.

"I was amazed how few handling errors there were. I thought both teams played the conditions pretty well, no other team would have done any better."

Perfectly said. Thank you.

Some people that play rugby will understand that when you play in extreme conditions like that, and play like they did, you know not to heavily critisize "poor quality" because even though it was a poor game, it was to of the best sides in the world at the moment so how could any other two possibly play any better?

Yeah was a pretty boring game to be honest I was nearly falling asleep at da pub. Not much running from either team it was more of a forward dominated game and just a load of kicking.

Poor conditions to play in so can't really blame the players for an average game.

Yeah was a pretty boring game to be honest I was nearly falling asleep at da pub. Not much running from either team it was more of a forward dominated game and just a load of kicking.

Poor conditions to play in so can't really blame the players for an average game.

[/b]

The ELVs would have solved those weather problems...

And everyone ripping Chris White really should give it a rest, none of his missed calls directly affected the result and he had an overall good game. After the Barnes incident, none of us care about referee bleaters anyway.
[/b]

he had a very average game. he was at times watching a different game to everyone else. I enjoy rugby and I want everyone to peform to their best and this includes the officials. I find it concerning that a fellow rugby fan can just gloss over such an average reffing display like we saw in this match.

Steve Walsh worries me more, spose none of you Kiwi's have that problem... [/b]

not at international level :p

ok he had some shockers in the super 14 this year but I don't think he was the worst going around in that competition. stuart dickenson had some really ordinary games and a few of the south african ones were just hopeless almost every game they reffed.

<div class='quotemain'> Yeah was a pretty boring game to be honest I was nearly falling asleep at da pub. Not much running from either team it was more of a forward dominated game and just a load of kicking.

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

not with the form chris white was in tonight.

Steve Walsh worries me more, spose none of you Kiwi's have that problem... [/b]

Steve Walsh has a rather worrying tendency to get way too flustered which leads to him snapping rather unneccessarily at both Captains and touch judges...that and prance about like a fairy...

[/b]

not with the form chris white was in tonight.
[/b]

The ELVs would have solved those annoying refereeing problems...

From my point of view, a rubbish Ireland side were contained by a rubbish Half-Blacks side (you see what I did there?).
[/b]

No, I can't see what you did there. Maybe you could explain it to me?

<div class='quotemain'>
From my point of view, a rubbish Ireland side were contained by a rubbish Half-Blacks side (you see what I did there?).
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Well..

tceqn4.gif

So there you go!

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Well..

tceqn4.gif

So there you go!
[/b][/quote]

AHAH! I see, I see.

Need to brush up on my integration of trig functions. Damn you sine, damn you.

Just wondering, theres not a single Maori in the team that can lead the haka? i mean Kevs a samoan... can't Leon 'Rangi' McDonald lead it? lol

Anyways, i felt O Driscolls pain when he was talking after the match and he was just quivering! Its been heka cold lately in NZ, must've sucked playing in those conditions!

However both teams grounded it out and top marks to that.

It was still a good game to watch i thought despite the conditions, the tries that were scored were top notch! lol Conrad you beauty.

Hope Tuitavake gets another chance next week ay, it wasn't fair on him stupid rain lol

good first up win in crap weather.at least the test was played in bitterly cold rain my grade had to play in
a good dump of snow about 4 hour before that front hit wellington lol.

I thought both teams played EXTREMELY WELL!!!

Freezing weather....rain, wind....it is all set up for continuous handling errors. However both teams suprisingly passed, caught, and offloaded quite well.

The defence from both teams was incredible. The AB's only made two clean line breaks in the whole game....which resulte in two tries. The Irish made one break which was their try. Apart from that both teams would not allow the other a decent break despite both teams attacking with continuous phases.

Both teams used the wind well and kicked for territory excellently. They also managed to kick INTO the wind and find space well.

Some individuals played well above expectations (Thorne, Smith, Tialata, Horgan) while others failed to fire (Muliaina, O'Driscoll, O,Donnell) while others were their usual self (Carter, McCaw, O'Gara).

The Irish players who missed those crucial tackles on Smith and Carter were not wholly at fault as there are 14 other AB's who need to watched. BOD had to keep an eye on Mils when Smith was making his break. The AB's were too slow responding to the backdoor runs of the Irish when they scored their try because the threat of the openside was very real with BOD standing there. So those breaches in defence were only because the defence had little options left rather than flimsy tackling.

Latest posts