• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Zealand v Ireland - Test 3 - 16 July 2022

Well done Ireland. šŸ‰

Beer Ok GIF by Busch

Last edited:
When was the last time the All Blacks lost a series? 2002 Bled?

Even the Lions only managed a draw (2017)
Series? November 2021, surely.

On home soil, Ireland become the 4th team to win a series in NZ.
Presumably the others would be England, South Africa and probably France (would Aus ever have played a series in NZ?)

Personally, I don't put all my eggs in one basket with the World Cup; too random, with what the players and coaches can control, it's unlikely the team most likely to win will have a more than 50 per cent chance of winning. I'd venture that only 2007 did a team go in with a more than 50 per cent odds of winning, oh and they got knocked out in the quarterfinal.

So let's congratulate Ireland here and not go on about the world cup. Take what you can rather than rejecting it for a false hope.

Also, yes foster isn't a great coach (and the assistants aren't that great either - why is no one asking for a new defence coach?), but actually Ireland are a great team and could have won even if the all blacks did have a good coach. So just give them their dues. This series was a big thing not some test of whether the all blacks coach is good enough to take us to a World Cup that we will probably lose even with the greatest coach in the world.

A great win by the Irish. They played like you'd expect the AB's to play. The looked harder, more combative, more skilful and with more ideas about how to unlock the opposition defence.

I'll admit right off the bat I'm a passionate AB supporter albeit a frustrated one. I've really enjoyed watching Ireland play, they've been so efficient and confident in their play and back each other 100%, they're receiving all the plaudits they've worked hard for.
For me the AB decline started with Hansen post 2016 where his style and once dominant game plan had run its course.
Promoting Foster to head coach with the hope he'd have fresh ideas was a mistake.
Cane, Whitelock, Retallick, Tu'ungafasi and Taylor amongst a couple of others have made the same mistake as Kieren Read when they didn't retire while on top as McCaw wisely did.
It's going to take time to rebuild, next years WC should be viewed as a development process, I'm looking forward to seeing some of the new boys playing with the same pride as Savea, win or lose.

What does Irelands likely route to the final look like?

Was just looking at it. Realistically need to top pool B - that means beating the Boks, then NZ (assuming France top pool A) then the winner of C and RU of D (so Aus/Wales and Eng./Arg/Japan) in the semis.

Was just looking at it. Realistically need to top pool B - that means beating the Boks, then NZ (assuming France top pool A) then the winner of C and RU of D (so Aus/Wales and Eng./Arg/Japan) in the semis.
That's tough. You definitely get a feeling this Irish team is different but Jesus they'd be no shame losing a qtr final to SA. If they played them tomorrow you'd back Ireland all day in a neutral venue but SA in a WC is a different story.

That's tough. You definitely get a feeling this Irish team is different but Jesus they'd be no shame losing a qtr final to SA. If they played them tomorrow you'd back Ireland all day in a neutral venue but SA in a WC is a different story.
Ire are in the same pool as Boks in pool B. So whoever wins should top pool B.

Ire are in the same pool as Boks in pool B. So whoever wins should top pool B.
Sorry, was just replying that I misunderstood. Forgot they're in the same group. So they're playing either NZ or France in the qtr final.

Same applies, that is tough and you couldn't say they bottled it if they lose to either of them. Wales, England, Australia or Scotland then yes, that would be bottling it but it France or NZ (even with the apparent demise of NZ)

Yeh it's a tough route whichever way you look at it. From a neutrals POV Stupid to draw so early which means only 2 of NZ, France, Ireland and Boks can get to the semis.

Yeh it's a tough route whichever way you look at it. From a neutrals POV Stupid to draw so early which means only 2 of NZ, France, Ireland and Boks can get to the semis.
Yeah it's ridiculous really. I'm not complaining obviously as it massively benefits Wales so I think it's a great idea and glad they did it.

We were briefly world number 1 in 2019 for like 2 hours or something but we've been out of the top 8 for ages now.

A qtr final against England or Scotland/Japan is something I'd be very happy with all things considered as we're all pretty much on the same level at the minute so you'd take that. And especially a semi final against England is something you'd take considering they look pretty average at the minute.

I doubt we'll get out of the group anyway to be honest.

So I just wanted to bring up:

1. Yellow card for Porter which turned out to break Brodie's cheek bone. Right decision? Thought it should have been red at the time and not sure on all this passive v dominant tackle.

And

2. Bundee Aki clearing out Tu'ungafasi with shoulder to head contact and latter going off for a HIA and not returning.

Neither incident cited AFAIA. Don't think 1. can now if it was reviewed at the time?

Ultimately neither changed the result - Ireland still deserved the win, but thoughts without getting into "blame Barnes" - especially in light of his history reffing with NZ.

I thought the Porter yellow was ridiculous when you look at the red for NZ the previous week but it is what it is.

I think only prem refs call that as a yellow rather than a red. Rightly or wrong, who knows? I think it should be red, tackle height is the issue regardless of force in my opinion.

I only saw the one angle of Bundee's clear out which I didn't see think was conclusive of anything so can't comment on that one.

I think only prem refs call that as a yellow rather than a red. Rightly or wrong lyrics, who knows? I think it should be red, tackle height is the issue regardless of force in my opinion.

I only saw the one angle of Bundee's clear out which I didn't see think was conclusive of anything so can't comment on that one.
You sober yet?

I thought the Porter yellow was ridiculous when you look at the red for NZ the previous week but it is what it is.
In fairness you could see the massive difference in force exerted in the collisions on each occasion
I actually dont mind this, I mean I hate head contact and I like the penalising of it, I think lower tackle heights which will result eventually create a more offloading based game of rugby and we'll see some real high skills, but in the meantime we dont want every touch of the head being red carded, this is a game where blokes are running hard at each other and accidents happen. In looking to absorb the collision you could see that porter didnt impact the head with the same force as tu'ungafasi, who although accidental was completely out of control in terms of his body and its momentum. Interesting though that both happened on inside balls, which a tackler wouldnt necessarily be as aware to and have the time to adjust his tackle height down (because he doesnt naturally expect to make a tackle). Similarly I thought last week when Hansen was in the air and hit, should've been penalty only, no attempt to hit the player, just a charge down with a lot of hang time and speed...