• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Zealand v South Africa

S

smartcooky

Consider this:

Points margin in the New Zealand v South Africa match will be VITAL!!!!

Every point of victory margin will be worth two points in the for-against.

Currently, the All Blacks are -14 and the Springboks are +25 a difference of 39, but it will only take a 20 point margin to reverse that

Assuming that the Springboks don't score four tries, if the All Blacks win by 20 or more and score four tries themselves, the for-against will go in the All Blacks favour, then they will only have to beat Australia (no bonus point needed) to win the Tri-nations.

They must take every point on offer first, every penalty goal, and dropped goals if necessary. Even if they don't quite make 20, they will minimise the margin required against Australia.

I think I like our chances of scoring four against the Boks more than I do against the Wallabies.

The Aussies should have had five, and it was only bad luck and last gasp defence that stopped the three additional tries. Pity they didn't, as that would have made a HUGE dent in the for-against.

+++++++

PS: that table at the top of the page is wrong. Australia are on -11 (97 for - 108 against)

I've been waiting for this match for months, as I'm travelling up for it. Here's hoping the All Blacks can win, and convincingly at that, as I'm going with one (or two) South Africans.

Looks like Donald will be playing at first five and Carter at second. I'm not sure how I feel about this, but I expect they'll switch it around a lot either way.

As far as the boks go, we need to step up for this one. If we don't play for 80 minutes, we will lose. If New Zealand even get a sniff of confidence due to us playing badly, we could even see a hiding. I still think we desperately need Ryan Kankowski in the team. we don't have any forwards good enough to initiate line breaks and actually start a try scoring move. They seem to think they can run through everyone...

Spies has changed his game completely, and seems to be lacking some confidence. I don't know why he isn't using his speed better, as Kankowski does. Spies can outrun virtually the entire Australian team, but he kept trying to barge through the middle. We need more flair! So i say, put Spies on the wing and put Kankowski on at 8! :p

Seriously though. John Smit needs to hit the gym hard this week, and we desperately need to work on our finishing...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Sep 7 2009, 05:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
So i say, put Spies on the wing and put Kankowski on at 8! :p[/b]

LMFAO. The new sensation in International Rugby Union...........

Jonah Spies!!!!

(PS: Remember, Jonah started as a loose forward too!!!)

Big dilemma for the Boks. Their defence dealt with the ABs fairly handily in SA, but do they keep kicking? Or do they broaden the game and risk midfield turnovers?

Brussouw is great, but McCaw is still king. Or is it down to the ref pinging one or both of them? Any selection indicators to show how PDV is thinking?

I guess the ABs won't have the flow to break the defence, too raw at the moment. So Boks just need to keep doing what they do - stay inside the ABs reach and get them in a clinch to stop their punches.

If I was the Saffa coach I would be laying down the law to play percentages, kick for the corners, and nullify a pretty handle looking AB backline. Should be a fantastic game, please tell me Barnes isn't going to be anywhere near NZ when the packs go down.

Stadium sold out btw.

Here's the AB's team.. not many changes, Nonu moving out to centre with Donald coming in at 12 is the main change. Slightly unusual that we have two loose forward reserves on the bench and no locks.

1. Tony Woodcock (56 Tests)
2. Andrew Hore (41)
3. Owen Franks (5)
4. Brad Thorn (31)
5. Isaac Ross (7)
6. Jerome Kaino (21)
7. Richie McCaw â€" captain (74)
8. Kieran Read (10)
9. Jimmy Cowan (26)
10. Dan Carter (60)
11. Sitiveni Sivivatu (38)
12. Stephen Donald (15)
13. Ma’a Nonu (40)
14. Josevata Rokocoko (58)
15. Mils Muliaina (75)

Reserves:

16. Aled de Malmanche (1)
17. John Afoa (18)
18. Adam Thomson (10)
19. Rodney So’oialo (59)
20. Brendon Leonard (11)
21. Isaia Toeava (15)
22. Cory Jane (6)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Sep 8 2009, 09:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Big dilemma for the Boks. Their defence dealt with the ABs fairly handily in SA, but do they keep kicking? Or do they broaden the game and risk midfield turnovers?

Brussouw is great, but McCaw is still king. Or is it down to the ref pinging one or both of them? Any selection indicators to show how PDV is thinking?

I guess the ABs won't have the flow to break the defence, too raw at the moment. So Boks just need to keep doing what they do - stay inside the ABs reach and get them in a clinch to stop their punches.[/b]
Amazingly enough the great PDV, in his infinate wisdom, has decided his teams loss to Australia was due to the bias in refeeres, with the evidence of body language. Someone should shut that idiot up, he is a fool. http://www.allblacks.com/news/11005/Refs-a...s---De-Villiers.

Is it just me, or does this game have the potential to be match of the year? It doesn't really get any bigger than this in this tournament...

Agreed 100% Jer1cho. My only consern is that I think that if anything, the Springboks will try and keep the score line low and play very very safe rugby. All they need to do is win, and even if they lose by more then 7 points, if the All Blacks don't score many points, not to mention 4 tries, the Springboks will win the series either by points differential, of by bonus points.

The Major problem the boks really need to sort out is the half rate performance that John Smit has been giving for the past two weeks, Hooker @ tighthead??? I honestly believed that this would be coming the Boks way sooner or later, and i truly believe what Jer1cho, that Spies is not the player he was in the super 14, your no8's game play is determined by the 2 looseforwards in front of him, and the locks aren't playing well the the loosies come of bad in the end and if the front is is not performing, and consider the fact that the front row needs all three players to perform, then the locks wont have the "stepping stones" they need to play well, think of it as a chain, if one link is damaged the chain wont hold properly.

and me well im a south african the puts his total loyalty and support in the all blacks,

there is no greater team!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kayo213 @ Sep 8 2009, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The Major problem the boks really need to sort out is the half rate performance that John Smit has been giving for the past two weeks, Hooker @ tighthead??? I honestly believed that this would be coming the Boks way sooner or later, and i truly believe what Jer1cho, that Spies is not the player he was in the super 14, your no8's game play is determined by the 2 looseforwards in front of him, and the locks aren't playing well the the loosies come of bad in the end and if the front is is not performing, and consider the fact that the front row needs all three players to perform, then the locks wont have the "stepping stones" they need to play well, think of it as a chain, if one link is damaged the chain wont hold properly.

and me well im a south african the puts his total loyalty and support in the all blacks,

there is no greater team!![/b]

Welcome to the forums!, but uh.... my head kinda hurts now...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TRUE LEGND @ Sep 8 2009, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Is Carter definitly at 10?????[/b]

The only thing we can say for sure, is that he will be wearing the 10 jersey, but I think you'll find he will play outside Donald quite a bit.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Sep 8 2009, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Amazingly enough the great PDV, in his infinate wisdom, has decided his teams loss to Australia was due to the bias in refeeres, with the evidence of body language. Someone should shut that idiot up, he is a fool. http://www.allblacks.com/news/11005/Refs-a...s---De-Villiers.[/b]

PdV has obviously spotted the second referee behind the grassy knoll!!

What an embarrassment to Springbok rugby this idiot is??

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Sep 8 2009, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kayo213 @ Sep 8 2009, 12:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

there is no greater team!![/b]

Welcome to the forums!, but uh.... my head kinda hurts now...
[/b][/quote]
:lol:

If PdV wins the 3N by beating the ABs, then he's right and always has been.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sneaki @ Sep 8 2009, 11:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Here's the AB's team.. not many changes, Nonu moving out to centre with Donald coming in at 12 is the main change. Slightly unusual that we have two loose forward reserves on the bench and no locks.

1. Tony Woodcock (56 Tests)
2. Andrew Hore (41)
3. Owen Franks (5)
4. Brad Thorn (31)
5. Isaac Ross (7)
6. Jerome Kaino (21)
7. Richie McCaw â€" captain (74)
8. Kieran Read (10)
9. Jimmy Cowan (26)
10. Dan Carter (60)
11. Sitiveni Sivivatu (38)
12. Stephen Donald (15)
13. Ma’a Nonu (40)
14. Josevata Rokocoko (58)
15. Mils Muliaina (75)

Reserves:

16. Aled de Malmanche (1)
17. John Afoa (18)
18. Adam Thomson (10)
19. Rodney So’oialo (59)
20. Brendon Leonard (11)
21. Isaia Toeava (15)
22. Cory Jane (6)[/b]

I am fairly sure that Read can play lock too, so if one of the locks are injured he plays there and So'olialo plays 8. But Henry must expect the locks to play the whole 80 mins.

Very good All Black team. I've been particularly impressed by Franks this season. He reminds me a lot of Heinke van der Merwe. I think that 10-12-13 axis has the potential to be very good. Donald is poor at 10 but at 12 is really a different player. I predict he'll do well. Nonu has always had more of a 13 game imo, should be interesting.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (smartcooky @ Sep 8 2009, 11:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TRUE LEGND @ Sep 8 2009, 05:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is Carter definitly at 10?????[/b]

The only thing we can say for sure, is that he will be wearing the 10 jersey, but I think you'll find he will play outside Donald quite a bit.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Sep 8 2009, 04:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Amazingly enough the great PDV, in his infinate wisdom, has decided his teams loss to Australia was due to the bias in refeeres, with the evidence of body language. Someone should shut that idiot up, he is a fool. http://www.allblacks.com/news/11005/Refs-a...s---De-Villiers.[/b]

PdV has obviously spotted the second referee behind the grassy knoll!!

What an embarrassment to Springbok rugby this idiot is??
[/b][/quote]
You know the only thing worse then a really, really, really stupid coach? Losing to a really, really, really stupid coach. I mean I think the Springboks are a good side and the team in many ways deserve to win it, but PDV is just sooo stupid, and his comments sooo obnoxious and unprofessional, that to be beaten by the Springboks in many ways adds insult to injury. I didn't all ways like Jake White, but at least he was respected.

Again our poes coach decides to leave out Kankowski. I can just see how he will be sitting in Europe this time next year...

Latest posts