Barbarians
newzealandw.png
VS.
walesok.png

NEW ZEALAND v WALES
Venue: Waikato Stadium, Hamilton Date: Sat, 26 June Kick-off: 0835 BST
Coverage: Live on BBC Radio Wales MW & online, with score updates online

Preview to follow.

New Zealand: Mils Muliaina; Cory Jane, Richard, Kahui, Benson Stanley, Zac Guildford; Daniel Carter, Jimmy Cowan; Tony Woodcock, Keven Mealamu, Neemia Tialata, Brad Thorn, Tom Donnelly, Jerome Kaino, Kieran Read, Richie McCaw (capt).
Replacements: Aled de Malmanche, Owen Franks, Sam Whitelock, Adam Thomson, Piri Weepu, Aaron Cruden, Rene Ranger.

Wales: Lee Byrne (Ospreys); Leigh Halfpenny (Cardiff Blues), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Jamie Roberts (Cardiff Blues), Tom Prydie (Ospreys); Dan Biggar (Ospreys), Mike Phillips (Ospreys); Paul James (Ospreys), Matthew Rees (Scarlets), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Bradley Davies (Cardiff Blues), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Jonathan Thomas (Ospreys), Gavin Thomas (Newport Gwent Dragons), Ryan Jones (capt, Ospreys).
Replacements: Huw Bennett (Ospreys), Craig Mitchell (Ospreys), Deiniol Jones (Cardiff Blues), Rob McCusker (Scarlets), Richie Rees (Cardiff Blues), Stephen Jones (Scarlets), Will Harries (Newport Gwent Dragons).

Referee: Jonathan Kaplan (South Africa).

Assistant referees: Craig Joubert (South Africa), James Leckie (Australia).

Television match official: George Ayoub (Australia).

Last edited:
Would hope we put up a better second half performance, but i don`t want the team to play damage limitataion style.
if we are to lose lets lose with dignity by having a bloody good crack at them and cross their line!!
come away with some respect for ourselves not too much for all blacks.

Yup, certainly should not play damage limitation. I'd pick the following team:

01 John Yapp
02 Mathew Rees
03 Adam Jones
04 Bradley Davies
05 Alun-Wyn Jones
06 Rob McCusker
07 Gavin Thomas
08 Ryan Jones

09 Mike Phillips
10 Dan Biggar
11 Will Harries
12 Jamie Roberts
13 Jonathan Davies
14 Leigh Halfpenny
15 Lee Byrne

16 Paul James
17 Ken Owens
18 Deiniol Jones
19 Jon Thomas
20 Richie Rees
21 Stephen Jones
22 Tom Prydie

If Jones is ruled out, then I suppose Tovey will be drafted into the squad and he'll get the bench spot. Knoyle may make the bench in front of Rees, but I personally think Rees is currently the better player. Although Jon Thomas had a much improved game on Sat than he did v SA, I want to see what McCusker can bring to the team from the start. Please Gatland, Ken Owens over Bennett for the love of god!

I personally think starting John Yapp is the better option, bringing Paul James on to replace Adam Jones in the second half. This will mean Paul James is fresher and able to put more energy into keeping the scrum steady on the much tougher tight-head. It's quite obvious that Adam isn't 100%, so he won't last the 80. Yapp will add a little around the field aswell, something I feel Paul James lacks. This probably won't happen though, and it probably won't make much difference really, neither are at the same standard as the much missed Gethin Jenkins.

Were wearing thin of quality players, however I still feel that's a decent team. Jon Davies is another with plenty of potential, although after Bishop's performance on the weekend, he'll be missed. Davies is another strong tackler, and powerful runner though.

i think jon davis i a great little player , watched him in a couple of games and he caused some great turnovers similar to o`driscoll by getting to feet so quickly and competing for ball.
Not sure of his size etc but he could make a great 7 let alone centre.

Yup, very good player. He's improved his general defensive games this season aswell. For the first season or two at the Scarlets his defense could be a little erratic, but that's certainly not the case anymore. As I've said before, we've got numerout quality strong running centres, they all lack a bit of creativity though. Physically Davies will have no problem, and as you said Bargoedboy, he's got a good technique when it comes to getting over the ball. I expect a solid performance from him.

01 John Yapp
02 Mathew Rees
03 Adam Jones
04 Bradley Davies
05 Alun-Wyn Jones
06 Rob McCusker
07 Gavin Thomas
08 Ryan Jones

09 Mike Phillips
10 Dan Biggar
11 Will Harries
12 Jamie Roberts
13 Jonathan Davies
14 Leigh Halfpenny
15 Lee Byrne

16 Paul James
17 Ken Owens
18 Deiniol Jones
19 Jon Thomas
20 Richie Rees
21 Stephen Jones
22 Tom Prydie
QUOTE]

Totally agree with that team but I'd like to see Ken Owens given his chance so would like to see him start to see how he does. Also if Tovey is called up, which is likely if Steve Jones doesn't recover then I'd like to see him start at 10 over Biggar though this is unlikely.

01 John Yapp
02 Mathew Rees
03 Adam Jones
04 Bradley Davies
05 Alun-Wyn Jones
06 Rob McCusker
07 Gavin Thomas
08 Ryan Jones

09 Mike Phillips
10 Dan Biggar
11 Will Harries
12 Jamie Roberts
13 Jonathan Davies
14 Leigh Halfpenny
15 Lee Byrne

16 Paul James
17 Ken Owens
18 Deiniol Jones
19 Jon Thomas
20 Richie Rees
21 Stephen Jones
22 Tom Prydie

If Jones is ruled out, then I suppose Tovey will be drafted into the squad and he'll get the bench spot. Knoyle may make the bench in front of Rees, but I personally think Rees is currently the better player. Although Jon Thomas had a much improved game on Sat than he did v SA, I want to see what McCusker can bring to the team from the start. Please Gatland, Ken Owens over Bennett for the love of god!

I personally think starting John Yapp is the better option, bringing Paul James on to replace Adam Jones in the second half. This will mean Paul James is fresher and able to put more energy into keeping the scrum steady on the much tougher tight-head. It's quite obvious that Adam isn't 100%, so he won't last the 80. Yapp will add a little around the field aswell, something I feel Paul James lacks. This probably won't happen though, and it probably won't make much difference really, neither are at the same standard as the much missed Gethin Jenkins.

Were wearing thin of quality players, however I still feel that's a decent team. Jon Davies is another with plenty of potential, although after Bishop's performance on the weekend, he'll be missed. Davies is another strong tackler, and powerful runner though.

That's exactly the same team I'd pick, although Prydie did nothing to see him dropped, and I felt JT had his best game of the season, and for once wouldn't be bothered to see him picked. I feel Harries is the closest we have to Shane Williams at the moment, and no offense to Prydie, but he's quick, and he's a good defender, but he's not Shane. Harries has that one-on-one and stepping instict, and is a good tackler too, as shown in the end-of-season Ospreys-Dragons game where he made three try-saving tackles.

Ken MUST be on the bench. End of. Knoyle's had his cap, not bring back the supperior (At the moment, anyway.) Rees. I'd quite like to see Goffy on the bnech, just so we've got a big hitter to come on when the rest of the pack wears down.

I'd have Gough on the bench too if he was in the squad. He'd offer much more than Deiniol Jones, who just doesn't cut it at international level.

I don't look at it as Prydie getting dropped, but giving Harries a chance. If Gatland made that clear, I don't see a problem. Prydie has been solid, but as many others have said he needs regional gametime to improve. He shouldn't really be continuing to playing at Premiership level yet represent Wales really, it's just farcical when you think about it, but that's what's gonna happen unfortunately.

MichaelBoard, although Tovey's all round game is possibly slightly better than Biggars, Biggar is the more consistent at this moment in time. We've gotta remember that Tovey only switched to playing 10 permenantly for the Dragons midway through this season, whearas Biggar has had two full seasons as first choice at the Ospreys. I therefore feel that Biggar is 6 months to a year ahead of where Tovey is. The main difference is in defense, this is an area Biggar has improved hugely in this season, so much so that he's the one that leads the Ospreys defensive line nowerdays. Tovey on the other hand can be a little shaky in defense when playing 10, kinda how Biggar was a year ago. That and the fact that draughting a player from outside the original squad into the starting 15 in front of another who's been involved for the past year and a half would send out all the wrong kind of signals. Biggar should start no matter what imo, then Jones or Tovey on the bench.

Biggar should start at 10 if Stephen isn't fit, he has more game experience and whilst Tovey will make a great 10, New Zealand away isn't the best place to try it out. So on that basis, dulloniens team is spot on.

New Zealand are suffering from a few injuries - both Dagg (concussion) and Conrad Smith (poked in the eye) have been ruled out, while Boric (fractured cheek), Carter (sore calf) are in doubt. Rene ranger has been added to the squad as cover. Obviously losing Carter would really affect New Zealand's chances - in addition if he is ruled out they are likely to have to start Weepu over Cowan, as they need someone to kick goals. So not only would we lose our star first-five, we would lose our top halfback.

The team is set to be named at 1pm NZT (about 3 hours time).

From what I hear Carter will be named anyway with a decision to made later?

Yeah I assume they will do this to allow him as much time as possible to recover - we really need him to play!

And, I'd imagine, to keep us guessing about if we have a God at 10 or a someone who has hardly played to go up against

I really wish we rest Carter and call up Slade or have Cruden start. It's a shame Ross, Brett, and McAlister are on NZ Maori duty as I would've picked them in order to rest Carter & co.

1)Woodcock
2)Mealamu
3)O.Franks
4)Thorn
5)Whitelock
6)Vito
7)McCaw
8)Read

9)Weepu(assuming Carter is rested)
10)Cruden(see above)
11)Guildford
12)Stanley
13)Kahui
14)Rokocoko
15)Jane

16)de Malmanche
17)B.Franks
18) ??? Donnelly? (I'd call up Ross here if he were available. I don't think Jack played well enough in S14, but if here were to be called up, this is the game to do it).
19)Thomson/Kaino
20)Cowan (again, assuming Carter is rested)
21)Cruden/Slade
22)Ranger

It'll be a good chance for Vito, Kahui, Woodcock and others to assert themselves again. I hope Ranger gets a chance now that he's been called in. Even if it is as 'cover'.

If only Brett and the rest were available...

Surely this is the kinda time NZ should be trying someone else at 10? Carter is awesome, everyone knows that, but there isn't really a good alternative; a few with potential, but Carter is always missed big time when he's not playing. They really need to find a quality backup to Carter by the time the WC rolls around, otherwise what happens if he get's injured in the first round? Similar situation with McCaw. What do New Zealander's think about this? Is this the time to experiment, because afterall you should win even without Carter, although I've gotta say I'd expect the scores to be much closer, and there's always the chance Wales could scrape a win. But if Carter is fit, I'd tend to think having him on the bench to change things if necessary would be the best option.

Surely this is the kinda time NZ should be trying someone else at 10? Carter is awesome, everyone knows that, but there isn't really a good alternative; a few with potential, but Carter is always missed big time when he's not playing. They really need to find a quality backup to Carter by the time the WC rolls around, otherwise what happens if he get's injured in the first round? Similar situation with McCaw. What do New Zealander's think about this? Is this the time to experiment, because afterall you should win even without Carter, although I've gotta say I'd expect the scores to be much closer, and there's always the chance Wales could scrape a win. But if Carter is fit, I'd tend to think having him on the bench to change things if necessary would be the best option.

Personally, I think we're better off at the 10 position with Brett, Slade, Cruden (though he's young, he can develop). Sure, they're not Carter-level, but I think they can more than manage a game, and even possibly win a few. At least influence some plays. Solid, at least.

Openside is a different story. I think Latimer was that guy, but for some reason the management never warmed to him. There's also Daniel Braid's younger brother, Luke. But he's a ways off yet. The closes at the moment is George Whitelock. I thought he did pretty well last year. Again, the AB management/NZRU drops these players like flies instead of developing them (i.e. Jamie Mackintosh, Isaac Ross etc etc) - and this really shows it.

It's a shame, we seem to have a plethora of blindsides right now (Vito, Kaino, Thomson, Lowe) to name a few.

Cruden should start IMO, he needs a good full game to get some XP, he will do fine too.

Is Cowan injured too? Weepu can fill in if so.

Here is the named test side for the All Blacks on Sat.:

Starting XV:

1. Tony Woodcock (62)
2. Keven Mealamu (73)
3. Neemia Tialata (42)
4. Brad Thorn (39)
5. Tom Donnelly (6)
6. Jerome Kaino (26)
7. Richie McCaw – captain (82)
8. Kieran Read (18)
9. Jimmy Cowan (35)
10. Daniel Carter (68)
11. Zac Guildford (3)
12. Benson Stanley (2)
13. Richard Kahui (9)
14. Cory Jane (14)
15. Mils Muliaina (82)

Reserves:

16. Aled de Malmanche (4)
17. Owen Franks (11)
18. Sam Whitelock (2)
19. Adam Thomson (16)
20. Piri Weepu (36)
21. Aaron Cruden (2)
22. Rene Ranger *

* Denotes new Test cap

http://allblacks.com/index.cfm?layout=displayNews&newsarticle=13388

Wasn't too far off. I thought Donnelly was injured so I assumed we were short of locks. Also, shocked to see Vito and Ben Franks omitted altogether.

And it looks like Guildford will get his chance to prove himself with Joe being left out.

Latest posts