• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

New Zealand vs Barbarians 2017

Caitlyn Jenner

Bench Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
Just noticed a thread for this match hasn't been started yet...

Bit of a meaningless match and looks more like an NZ derby than a classic Babaas match, but should be entertaining nonetheless. Biggest point of interest for me is the Bus.

Teams:
DNm5GldVwAADqjV.jpg:large

DNomFiwXkAAhOoz.jpg:large

For me I'd like to see how Kwagga Smith does at something near international strength.

The team does look a little under strength however, Nz 3rd or 4th team against its 2nd team with first choice half backs.

Read that one of the NZ coaches critised that there was not more Northern Hemisphere players in the BaaBaas team.

Read that one of the NZ coaches critised that there was not more Northern Hemisphere players in the BaaBaas team.
Well there are literally none at all so it is pretty disappointing... kinda defeats the purpose of the Baabaas.
Especially for an ABs game at Twickenham, you'd think the NH players would be lining up to get involved. Shows the power of the northern clubs I spose...

Well there are literally none at all so it is pretty disappointing... kinda defeats the purpose of the Baabaas.
Especially for an ABs game at Twickenham, you'd think the NH players would be lining up to get involved. Shows the power of the northern clubs I spose...
The top 14, Pro 14 and Prem are all active this weekend, there was never going to be any NH representation.

The NH players have better things to do than play against a second string NZ side.

That last Barbarians try was probably the most inventive try i have ever seen. I was wondering why they would place kick on the 80th minute and not even within 7 points of New Zealand.

Kwagga Smith and Luatua are phenomenal... Mo'Unga too ... ridiculous all over the field today.

How come Kwagga Smith doesn't get picked for the Springboks? He was like a man possessed today.

Probably because of his size.
Yep, many of us still want him to get an opportunity however.

What doesn't help is that we're already carrying a smallish flanker in Siya Kolisi. I really like Siya but one smallish (he's not that small) flank is all we could probably get away with.
Playing Kwagga and Siya would basically be heresy to the Springbok way haha.

We also can't drop Siya because black players who actually warrant their position on merit are invaluable in helping us round out the diversity requirements in the team.

tamanivalu had a quiet game but still did more than julian

only saw highlights but everything i've read said Julian had a quiet one. could he have done more though or was it one of those games where it never got past the midfield?

only saw highlights but everything i've read said Julian had a quiet one. could he have done more though or was it one of those games where it never got past the midfield?
julian played really well in the ITM cup, but theres a big difference busting those tackles compared to doing it on the international stage. julians still not ready yet to come back into the ABs which is a huge shame as he's so close to breaking the ABs test try scoring record. at least he'll have a ;l; summer to chill with his new born. kinda works out really

julian played really well in the ITM cup, but theres a big difference busting those tackles compared to doing it on the international stage. julians still not ready yet to come back into the ABs which is a huge shame as he's so close to breaking the ABs test try scoring record. at least he'll have a ;l; summer to chill with his new born. kinda works out really
Doesn't look hungry to play in my opinion, not quite in shape either.

Considering the absolute blinder Naholo had, and the fact that Ioane is having the season of his life AND the fact that you guys tend to play your secondary FB on one of the wings (Dagg/NMS/Smith), I can't see him getting back into the AB side any time soon. I think you guys are well covered anyway.

Doesn't look hungry to play in my opinion, not quite in shape either.

Considering the absolute blinder Naholo had, and the fact that Ioane is having the season of his life AND the fact that you guys tend to play your secondary FB on one of the wings (Dagg/NMS/Smith), I can't see him getting back into the AB side any time soon. I think you guys are well covered anyway.
def. and the way naholo played should push him up the pecking order. he was busy as and i was pleased to see him hustle heaps on D. his speed is phenomenal

When is his contract up? just wondering if that was his test, how much does he want it kind of thing, his he just going to chill or will he look overseas

so, full strength AB's

are we thinking Naholo and Ioane cover 11...and then we have Smith, NMS, DMac and the two Barretts to cover 14 and 15....and thanks all before we look at fringe / new guys like Havali

Question for NZers: If Ioane and Naholo are injured does Hansen stick to his guns and play Tamanivalu at 11 or recall Savea?

Latest posts