• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Newbies of the Year

B

Bullitt

http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,3...5814168,00.html

Getting your shot at the big time is a large part of the ongoing battle for rugby hopefuls, but in 2009 this group of starlets got their moment and duly pushed themselves into our lives.

Their fine efforts have not gone unnoticed by us here at Planet Rugby and we have consequently cobbled together a XV that although lacks caps, it makes up for in fearless exuberance.

Call them freshmen or what you will, the majority of this group were relative unknowns in the world of 2008 until Tri-Nations, club competitions and the Six Nations made both spectators and coaches sit up and take note.

Names such as Lelia Masaga, Aled de Malmanche and not forgetting James O'Connor are included in what was a much discussed XV while playing shorts were adjudged to fit just a tad too baggy for our 'will grow into it' first years.

One thing's for sure though, this XV was an extremely difficult cut to make and readers should realise that Heinrich Brüssow and a couple of others just missed this 'outstanding young pup' bracket due to their Team of the Year duties. Roll on more of these guys in 2010.

Newbie XV

15 Joe Pietersen (Stormers) - Breaking out from the sizeable shadow that is Percy Montgomery, this young Western Province and Stormers full-back has been outstanding throughout 2009. It was very surprising that Pietersen missed out on the outgoing tour but he is surely closing in on a Springbok jersey.
Will grow into it - Colin Slade (Crusaders)

14 Lelia Masaga (Chiefs) - Anyone watching the Chiefs in Super 14 2009 will surely give an agreeable nod to this selection.
Will grow into it - Gerhard van den Heever (Bulls)

13 Maxime Mermoz (Perpignan) - This bang in-form youngster is nicknamed 'The Little Prince' and is one off the long line of stars coming off the Toulouse midfield conveyor belt. Now having moved to Perpignan, Mermoz has been the best number 12 (excuse his PR number) and formed an excellent partnership with Yann David when Les Bleus overcame South Africa in November.
Will grow into it - Ryan Crotty (Crusaders)

12 James O'Connor (Western Force) -
In case you didn't know, Australia's Rookie of the Year was eligible for all three Tri-Nations countries before he became a nineteen-year-old starting Wallaby in 2009. O'Connor has a lot more power than his 79kg frame gives him credit for.. Sergio Parisse can vouch for that.
Will grow into it - Jonathan Davies (Scarlets)

11 Zac Guildford (Hurricanes) -
It was a difficult year off the field for this winger from Hawke's Bay. Whilst on U20 duty for New Zealand in June, Guildford's father unfortunately passed away after watching his son from the stands - it was a sad end to the tournament. But the now Crusader showed his strength of character to continue his good form in 2009 and was duly rewarded by Graham Henry.
Will grow into it - Benjamin Fall (Bayonne)

10 Dan Biggar (Ospreys) -
The young pivot really has made the Ospreys number ten jersey his own this season in being a great performer for Sean Holley, especially in Europe. It is hard to believe Biggar is still only 20 but there is no doubt Wales have found themselves a long-term successor to Stephen Jones.
Will grow into it - Jonathan Sexton (Leinster)

9 Will Genia (Reds) -
Australia meanwhile have finally found a replacement for George Gregan at the base. The 21-year-old from Papua New Guinea is right up there as the strongest Wallaby pound for pound. But it is his game management, decision-making ability and slick service that has seen him oust Luke Burgess.
Will grow into it - Ben Youngs (Leicester)

8 Dewald Potgieter (Bulls) -
This number eight role was a tough call between Ashley Johnson and the Blue Bulls youngster. But in the end Potgieter held the game-by-game form in 2009 and been an impressive leader in Pretoria even at the tender age of just 22. Yes he has played most of the year on the flank but has filled in admirably from eight when called upon.
Will grow into it - Ashley Johnson (Cheetahs)

7 David Pocock (Western Force) -
The term meteoric rise is sometimes overused but for this 21-year-old that seems the idyllic terminology to sum up his 2009. Pocock captained Australia U20 last year and has since gone on to nudge out Wallaby legend George Smith at number seven. More battles with Brüssow and McCaw please!
Will grow into it - Sam Warburton (Cardiff Blues)

6 Kevin McLaughlin (Leinster) -
Shoe-filling does come much bigger than stepping into the chasm left by Rocky Elsom on the blindside. But this 25-year-old has made the Wallaby star's exit seem almost seamless as his partnership with fellow up-and-comer Sean O'Brien is a welcome boost for Leinster.
Will grow into it - Richie Vernon (Glasgow)

5 Courtney Lawes (Northampton) -
Jumping on bandwagons is not our style but we just could not leave out this rangy forward. Lawes has been immense for Saints and his recent shift to blindside has now demonstrated his ability in the loose. The forward is an uncompromising tackler and lineout option for England in the future.
Will grow into it - Donnacha Ryan (Munster)

4 Tom Donnelly (Highlanders) -
Although the Highlander has been around for close to eight years now, he gains Newbie status for his 2009 rise into the All Black engine room. A keen hunter, Donnelly stepped in for Isaac Ross against Australia and has impressed ever since.
Will grow into it - James Gaskell (Sale)

3 Owen Franks (Crusaders) -
The Canterbury tighthead was well worth his handful of New Zealand caps this year and one feels there is plenty more to come for the 22-year-old. Younger brother of prop Ben, Owen has great work rate around the park and has more than held his own in the scrummaging stakes throughout the past campaign.
Will grow into it - Werner Kruger (Bulls)

2 Aled de Malmanche (Chiefs) -
The Waikato man has been knocking around in New Zealand for about four years but it was 2009 that De Malmanche really caught the eye of the global game. Still only 25, he remains a bit behind Andrew Hore and Keven Mealamu but we fancy he will continue to climb in 2010.
Will grow into it - Dane Coles (Hurricanes)

1 Cian Healy (Leinster) -
Our final playing member is Ireland's version of 'The Beast'. The Leinsterman is now the perfect front-row fixture as Marcus Horan continues to struggle to shake off his injury problems. Healy possesses real pace and also an eye for the try-line which has made him key for the Dubliners and now Ireland.
Will grow into it - Rhys Gill (Saracens)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Dec 31 2009, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
No Keith Earls makes this a f***ing joke.[/b]

Wrong.

People saying Keith Earls is more then an average player and isn't too small to be a centre is a f***ing joke.

I really wish James O'Connor wasn't in that list. The fact that he's actually talented makes his smug face even more punchable

Wrong. He went from nowhere to Munster to Ireland to the Lions in 12 months, facts are there, if that isn't newbie of the year material what is?

Donnacha Ryan is a surprising one though, but I suppose there wasn't much to chose from, plenty of talent, needs to go to England or France for some gametime though.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Dec 31 2009, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Dec 31 2009, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No Keith Earls makes this a f***ing joke.[/b]

Wrong.

People saying Keith Earls is more then an average player and isn't too small to be a centre is a f***ing joke.
[/b][/quote]

Well he's an inch taller than Brian O'Driscoll but I suppose the 6 pounds lighter means that he's far too small to be a centre.

Is there a minimun requirement of being at least 6 foot to play anywhere but scrumhalf and front-row? Or are you still upset by the poor 40 minutes he played in his first Lions match?

Not saying I think he's a great centre (yet) But I do argue with the too small thing.

Earls may have got so far as to be a Lion, but then again the criteria for becoming a Lion this year stated that unless there were outstanding circumstances, you only needed to either play for Wasps or be vaguely Irish to go on the tour. Fact is he was garbage for the Lions, average for Ireland and is too small as a stiff breeze would knock him over.

He may be taller then BOD, but at least he's got so mass behind him instead of being a thin streak of ****.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Dec 31 2009, 02:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Earls may have got so far as to be a Lion, but then again the criteria for becoming a Lion this year stated that unless there were outstanding circumstances, you only needed to either play for Wasps or be vaguely Irish to go on the tour. Fact is he was garbage for the Lions, average for Ireland and is too small as a stiff breeze would knock him over.

He may be taller then BOD, but at least he's got so mass behind him instead of being a thin streak of ****.[/b]

You're right, why so many Irish players when there was an world class England team full of form players like Haskell and Mike Tindall? :eek:

Now I'm struggling to find a proper Riki Flutey profile, but any that I can find all put him lighter than Keith Earls! So is he a thinner streak of ****? Or is it now; "at least he's got some hair on him instead of being a baldy streak of ****."?

And yeah, again 40 minutes he was poor and after than he was no worse than alot of the people on tour. So waawaawaaa, there were more Irish players than English players on tour. Build a bridge.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Dec 31 2009, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Now I'm struggling to find a proper Riki Flutey profile, but any that I can find all put him lighter than Keith Earls! So is he a thinner streak of ****? Or is it now; "at least he's got some hair on him instead of being a baldy streak of ****."?

And yeah, again 40 minutes he was poor and after than he was no worse than alot of the people on tour. So waawaawaaa, there were more Irish players than English players on tour. Build a bridge.[/b]

I never complained about a lack of English players (which seems to be the entire basis of your debate).

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Dec 31 2009, 04:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Dec 31 2009, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And yeah, again 40 minutes he was poor and after than he was no worse than alot of the people on tour. So waawaawaaa, there were more Irish players than English players on tour. Build a bridge.[/b]

I never complained about a lack of English players (which seems to be the entire basis of your debate).
[/b][/quote]

Ok, no squad is ever going to be perfect. There was plenty of good players who could have gone. I'd have quite liked Hipkiss, Simpson-Daniel. Max Evans and many others to go. They didn't. Keith Earls did and wasn't just because he plays form Munster and Riki Flutey wasn't just picked because he played for Wasps.

Though apparantly both are too small to play centre.

But these arguements are futile and I'll be drunk soon so I'm gonna leave it there.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Dec 31 2009, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Now I'm struggling to find a proper Riki Flutey profile, but any that I can find all put him lighter than Keith Earls! So is he a thinner streak of ****? Or is it now; "at least he's got some hair on him instead of being a baldy streak of ****."?[/b]
Fluteys half a stone heavier than Earls (according to their respective wikipedia pages :p )

Glad to see Gaskell got a mention, he's going to be a great lock in times to come

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Dec 31 2009, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Dec 31 2009, 02:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now I'm struggling to find a proper Riki Flutey profile, but any that I can find all put him lighter than Keith Earls! So is he a thinner streak of ****? Or is it now; "at least he's got some hair on him instead of being a baldy streak of ****."?[/b]
Fluteys half a stone heavier than Earls (according to their respective wikipedia pages :p )

Glad to see Gaskell got a mention, he's going to be a great lock in times to come
[/b][/quote]

But on the Brive website profile versus the Munster website profile, Earls is 3 pounds heavier. :p

This is a silly arguement anyway.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Dec 31 2009, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Dec 31 2009, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

But on the Brive website profile versus the Munster website profile, Earls is 3 pounds heavier. :p

[/b][/quote]
The only way o solve thsi is a pie etasing contst¬!

Earls comes from one of the most deprived areas of ireland. Even hear his accent in the lions dvd,(Dull for your project). fair f***s to the man for dragging himself from the drug infested Moyross. Very few do.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Jan 1 2010, 01:26 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Dec 31 2009, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Dec 31 2009, 06:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
The only way o solve thsi is a pie etasing contst¬!
[/b][/quote]
You must've been steaming! :p
Surprised no-one's flagged up Biggar being picked over Sexton.

Oh Yeah....
wtf-animated.gif

Latest posts