• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Newcastle lure in Gopperth

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
S

snoopy snoopy dog dog

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
http://www.planetrugby.com/Story/0,18259,3...5264025,00.html

Newcastle look set to begin life after Jonny Wilkinson next season with a New Zealander in the number 10 shirt.

England star Wilkinson's departure to big-spending French club Toulon is expected to be confirmed in the next fortnight.

The Falcons, meanwhile, have moved to sign fly-half Jimmy Gopperth from Auckland-based Super 14 side the Blues on a three-year contract.

Gopperth, 25, has previously played for the Junior All Blacks, helping them win the Pacific Nations Cup.

He is a former Hurricanes player, starring in the Air New Zealand Cup for Wellington and North Harbour, and he was part of the New Zealand side that won the U21 World Cup in 2004.

"Jimmy is an outstanding talent who has excelled at Super 14 level, and has the ability to really steer this team forward," said Newcastle Director of Rugby Steve Bates.

"We have been watching him closely for a number of months now, and have been impressed every time he has played.

"Jimmy is a fantastic goalkicker who links well, scores tries and leads the back-line in a very expert manner with his tactical kicking.

"There is quality about everything he does, he is at just the right age and having captained North Harbour last season, he has also developed the sort of leadership credentials which will be absolutely vital for us as a team.

"At this stage, his contract with us starts in November after the Air New Zealand Cup, but we are pushing hard to secure an early release from that so he can join us for pre-season in July."[/b]

Why do you hope that he is **** Hall?

Btw he isn't ****, here is some more about him:

Newcastle Falcons have announced the signing of Blues and Junior All Blacks fly half, Jimmy Gopperth, in a three-year deal.

The prolific 25-year-old boasts vast Super 14 experience with 363 points in 53 outings for the Blues and Hurricanes, as well as starring for New Zealand's second-string national side, the Junior All Blacks, in winning the Pacific Nations Cup.

Having steered New Zealand to victory in the Under-21s World Cup final back in 2004, Gopperth starred at Air New Zealand Cup level for Wellington and North Harbour.

With the stand-off not counting as a foreign player, director of rugby, Steve Bates, said: "Jimmy is an outstanding talent who has excelled at Super Rugby level, and has the ability to really steer this team forward.

"We have been watching him closely for a number of months now, and have been impressed every time he has played.
"Jimmy is a fantastic goal kicker who links well, scores tries and leads the back line in a very expert manner with his tactical kicking.

"There is quality about everything he does, he is at just the right age and having captained North Harbour last season he has also developed the sort of leadership credentials which will be absolutely vital for us as a team.

"The reports from guys like Carl Hayman and Tane Tu'ipulotu, who has played a lot of rugby with Jimmy at the Hurricanes, Wellington and with the Junior All Blacks, have all been excellent, and we are excited about the prospect of having him on board.

"At this stage his contract with us starts in November after the Air New Zealand Cup, but we are pushing hard to secure an early release from that so he can join us for pre-season in July."

Jimmy Gopperth

Position: Fly half
Born: 29/6/83
Height: 1.80m
Weight: 90kg
Previous clubs: Blues, Hurricanes
Honours: Junior All Blacks, NZ Under-21s[/b]
Super14.com

Let's just say he wont be troubling the All Blacks #10 at any point in his career.

I think he is a good player, not at All Black level, but he is a good sign for the Falcons.

Gosforth part of the metropolitan borough of Newcastle-Upon-Tyne? Yes, there is.

I don't hate it quite as much as Jesmond though...

You never know, he could just be a late bloomer. I've always liked him when I've caught a Hurricanes game (My favorite NZ team) on TV, I've always felt he just needed a few more years to come of age and iron out the mistakes he makes on occasion. Newcastle won't be threatening the GP's upper crust more than they usually do next season....not unless they really pull there socks up.

I'm keeping an eye on him.

I've been impressed with the job Steve Bates has done with Newcastle so I dug a little deeper to see if there'd be many more additions to the squad. It seems as though they've added quite a few good players to go with Gopperth:

http://www.heavensgame.com/competitions/gu...le-falcons.html

Newcastle Falcons has announced the signing of Tongan international flanker, Josh Afu, in a two-year deal.
The 22-year-old stands at 6ft 4 and 17 stone, adding physicality and ball-carrying ability as well as a line out option and pace around the park.

Born and raised in Brisbane, Afu played his Super 14 Rugby with Queensland Reds, having previously represented Australia at Under-19s and Schoolboy level.[/b]
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_unio...tle/8003777.stm

Newcastle Falcons will sign London Irish lock James Hudson on a two-year deal when his contract with the Exiles expires at the end of the season.[/b]
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12331_5288937,00.html
Newcastle Falcons have moved to strengthen their squad for next season with the signing of England Saxons winger Tom Biggs.

The 24-year-old has agreed a one-year deal at Kingston Park, having scored a club record 52 tries in 96 starts for Leeds Carnegie[/b]
http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/rugby...72703-23446116/

SAMOA captain Filipo Levi signed for the Falcons today, confirming a two-year deal that makes him Phil Dowson's replacement.[/b]
http://www.newcastle-falcons.co.uk/36_4938.php

Newcastle Falcons has announced the signing of Harlequins winger, Charlie Amesbury. The 23-year-old England Sevens international joins on a two-year deal, having made nine starts for the Guinness Premiership semi-finalists this season.[/b]

While there'll be a lot of departures (Wilkinson, Noon, May, Wilson, Parling, Dowson) the players they're recruiting are more than capable of filling the gap.

lol who nkows he hasn't been Capped by NZ so maybe he will be the next Riki Flutey LOL

Gopperth England no 10 in three years.... watch for it

Latest posts